It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have EX485 with E5200, 4GB of RAM. Server was working fine and it is still running without any error on WHS console. However I realized (when I went to basement today to change AC filters) all the hard dirve leds are out and health LED is blinking blue. Has any one experienced such anomaly? Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 pm 
Founder
Founder

A search here on "blinking blue light" will turn up a ton of results. The first thing to try is a reboot of the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:55 pm 

Mine just did this again last night; this is the second time it's happened since installing the v3 upgrade from HP. I tried a lot of the suggestions I found on message boards last time but nothing helped, the only solution was using the recovery cd to reinstall whs, then reentering all my settings. Are you on the v3 upgrade as well?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:29 pm 

I am also having this issue, except I am unable to connect to the server, and the problem persists after a reboot. I'd like to try a server recovery, but I don't seem to have the disc -- does anyone have a link to an ISO for the EX485/EX487 HP Server Recovery Disc? Thanks so much!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:52 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yes I am running V3 as well. Functionality seems to be OK except port forwarding keeps failling on me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:48 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Would someone let me identify driver /exe file contoling the behavior of the hard drive LEDs? After HD LEDs stopped working I have blinking bule health light. However system is in good health.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:04 pm 

Generally the blinking Blue Health Light is an indication the server is still booting. Once its finished booting its then that the hard drive lights will come on. You could very well be having an issue with a single drive the quickest way I know of to rule this out will cause other errors to appear on your server and while doing this I would suggest you ignore the errors as they are expected to show up including a RED Health Light and a complaint about the backup data base being corrupt and the suggest to repair it. These error are to be ignored as they will be self inflicted.

Shut down your server and back out all your storage pool drives, also disconnect any USB Connected devices. Only leave the system drive connected.

Boot your server.

If it boots and the System Drive light turns on then its not that drive.

Shut the server down and connect one drive and reboot.

If the server boots and that drive light comes on then its not that drive but if that drive light does not come one then that drive is the issue.

Continue shutting down the server and reconnecting one drive at a time until you have gone through all the drive in your system. If a drive has its light come on then leave it connected the next time you reboot.

So its series of boots and reboots to see which drive is causing the problem and it will most likely be only one drive.

When you find the drive simply install it on another computer cabable of reading NTFS Formatted Drives. The connection can be internal or external using an external enclosure or a docking station. Then when your computer boots up simply run CHKDSK /r on that drive to repair any issues found. When done you can insert the drive back into the server and boot it up again and if all goes well all your drive lights will be nice and blue again.

The alternative to this would be to run CHKDSK /r on all your drives which would take a very long time but I found this to be a much quicker way to rule out a drive issue.

Remember your server will complain about the missing drive(s) and will turn your health light RED and post all sorts of errors and that is simply because one or more drives not being connected. DO NOT fix or repair your backup database in this process or your will surely lose it all so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ignore the RED Health Light and the servers complaints because its only the result of one or more missing storage pool drives which is what we have self inflicted on ourself here.

Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:46 am 

Dear Comp1962
My health light blinking all night, I tried to hook it up to other computor, I can see it as Data and about 300 GB. But the when I open the folder it said empty. How can I get my data out? Most of data I have in it are our family pictures of 50 years. I did CHKDSK on all drives, included the system drive, all are OK
Thanks

Thanks