It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:50 pm 

Following the excellent guide written by Dan “Nomad” Muzenjak, and posted by Alex in the Guide section on upgrading the CPU in an EX485 to an E5200 / SLAY7, I decided to upgrade my EX485 that went out of warranty in February. Everything went great up to the point that I pulled the existing CPU and found that two (2) of the socket pins are bent -- and in the case of one, all the way over backwards. So here's the diliemma: Having never encountered bent pins in a CPU socket before, should I bend them back (and risk further damage to the socket), or leave them alone and just install the E5200 as is ?? Given that the server has been running fine, without any known problems, I'm inclined to leave well enough alone. However, having those bent pins would continue to bug me and make me wonder.

So for those of you that have encountered bent pins before, what course did you take?? As a note, my smallest precision screwdriver is a 0.8 mm and it easily fits between the pins to manipulate the bent ones.

I've included a photo of the socket, with the location of the bent pins as reference.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts ....

Cris

Attachment:
MSS - Bent Pins.jpg
MSS - Bent Pins.jpg [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 3617 times ]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!