It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 am 

OK, so I origionally bought a Q9550 chip and this did not work. I was running bout 88 degrees Celcius while in the bios and the computer rebooted when I tried to boot into WHS, which means it was reaching the 100 degrees Celcius threshold. However everything seemed to work ... except for the rebooting. I just received my Q9550S (Sspec: SLGAE) in the mail today, and put it in and it fired up ... only its going straight into recovery. I bought a keyboard/mouse/monitor cable from VoV, and it appears as if it is not seeing the drives. Also, the keyboard does not work although I do have output to the monitor. I could probably unwind this if I could just into the bios. I tried pulling the battery and waiting about 10 minutes, I also tried disconnecting the VoV cable and plugging it back in from each connection point (board, box, keyboard, mouse) and still nothing. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Thanks!!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S 2.83GHz

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:37 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Did you put the jumper on the motherboard J2 ?

Oops, I think this might only apply to the EX49x/x510 I only read about people installing the Q9550s in those models.

When I installed the BE-2300 into my EX470 I had to modify the BIOS code. Is this necessary with the EX48x ?

Also I made my own VGA cable for my EX47x and found that I had to make a change for it to work on my EX49x, not sure again if this applies to yours.

Just some suggestions on things to check.

Attachments:
image_thumb[15].png
image_thumb[15].png [ 435.57 KiB | Viewed 45646 times ]

Last edited by Diehard on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:38 am 

Diehard wrote:
Did you put the jumper on the motherboard ?

Yes ... I was able to get into the bios with the Q9550, but I cannot with the Q9550S

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:49 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I was contemplating upgrading to the q9550s. In fact I asked about it on a ex490 at this site.
What is this issue with the jumper, no one mentioned it on my post. Or does it not apply to the ex490?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:05 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Ruben Rocha wrote:
I was contemplating upgrading to the q9550s. In fact I asked about it on a ex490 at this site.
What is this issue with the jumper, no one mentioned it on my post. Or does it not apply to the ex490?

The jumper is used on the EX49x boxes, as mentioned in my previous post, I'm not sure it is necessary with the EX48x boxes. I was assuming the Q9550s was for a EX49x box, but here it is for the EX48x.

The jumper is used if you need or want to make changes to the BIOS it enables the keyboard to be used. From what I understand for the EX49x boxes, you can just replace the CPU and do not need to go into the BIOS, that's probably why it wasn't mentioned, but in this post, he wants to go into the BIOS, again since I thought this was a EX490, you need the jumper. But you will also need to build a VGA cable. at that time you could also wire up the PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse. Some people had issues with the PS2 connections, I found them different on the E47x and EX49x, not sure about the EX48x.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:41 pm 

Ruben Rocha wrote:

Yes, you do need the jumper on ex485. The keyboard and mouse was working before I did all this and that was required for it to work. Also, I ended up having to pull the battery on the motherboard for 10 minutes after I first rebooted ... not sure why I had to do this, but this fixed my problem. Although the Q9550 heated up a lot, it seemed to work for me.

I have had to disassemble my server serveral times ... maybe 20, so its possible that I damaged something along the way. I just don't want to put the Q9550 back in, to see if my issue goes away with the keyboard not working anymore. I have wasted enough thermal grease on this. But, if I cannot get help in the forums here I may have to bite the bullet and try it. I just don't see why just changing the processor would have broken that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:37 pm 

OK ... I figured out the problem. It was with the keyboard adapter. I unplugged the adapter I received from VoV and now its working. I sent an email from the VoV guy and hoping for a response back. I closely inspected the pins on the adapter and motherboard and it seems to be fine ... my guess is that when I re-ran the cable I may have tugged it too tightly and pulled one of the wires loose on the cable. I dunno, we'll see if I can't get that sorted out ... but at least I have booted up.

OMG, I'm so very happy! The Q9550S is running like a CHAMP! It is running a bit warmer than I would like but only around 60 degrees Celcius. This is MUCH better than having the system reboot on me with the Q9550 (meaning it was hitting 100 degrees Celcius). The screen loading is much more snappy. I would definately recommend this ... but the take-away here is to be careful with your keyboard/mouse/monitor cables when putting things back together. If anyone has any questions about upgrading the ex485 I wouldn't mind fielding them. Next stop for me ... upgrade to 3.0 :mrgreen:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:37 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Dizom,

Very interesting upgrade, Is it possible you could do some benchmarks on your platform. (Perhaps Sandra) What I am most interested in is CPU and memory benchmarks as well as temperature checks. Since the EX485 is not capable of dual channel memory access I am curious about the results with the quad core. Also, have your loaded the cores and checked the temp. at full tilt?

Also, probably one of the best heat sync compounds is Artic Silver 5, you can drop 2 degrees C over others. Another trick that works is moving the cable that partially blocks the front fan. I have a friend of mine that is cutting down (lathe) a heatsync with fan for retrofit into my E5200 powered 485. My 485 CPU runs fairly cool but at full tilt (video work) for extended periods of time with 4 drives (WD Black) it still gets warmer than I like. Even though you are using the S version of the Q9550 I suspect you might have the same problem when you really load it up.

Thanks,
Dan :encore:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:33 am 

dizom,

I know this is an old post, but I would be most interested in your experience upgrading the EX485 to a quad core CPU. What changes in the BIOS did you have to make? What kind of performance increase are you seeing? Do you think the quad core is worth the extra cost over a dual core? etc....

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:43 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I thought I would update this thread with some results. The Quad core Q9550S processor is really the fastest processor that you can install in the EX49X series. Along with a 4GB sim you can achieve Passmark benchmarks of 874 for the platform and 4303 for the CPU. This is an improvement of about 2.5 times of the base EX495 E5200 dual processor and almost 4 times faster then the stock Celeron. You will notice a temperature increase of about 4 degrees centigrade at full tilt but if your unit is located where it has good ventilation this is not a problem.

Do not attempt to use a standard Q9550 instead of the Q9550s, you WILL HAVE temperature problems if you do. The Q8200s though not as fast will produce benchmarks of 741 for the platform and 2962 for the CPU and runs a little cooler. The Q8200s also reflect an excellent improvement over the standard cores. Both of the above mention processor are readily available from various sources. You can find the Q8200s for approx 25.00 and the Q9550s at approx. 75.00 (eBay). This is a cheap and effective way to really boost the performance of these platform. I had been running WHS2011 but have recently loaded Windows Essentials 2012. Both of the Operating systems run well on either of the previously mentioned CPU upgrades. These are also plug and play for the EX490 and EX495 platform. They can be used in the EX480/5 platforms with some BIOS changes. I did experiment with some of the higher rated dual core low TDP processors but could not get even close to the high benchmarks provided with the quad cores.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:12 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi Nomad, your last post was really helpful. Thanks for the info share. Just curious, what version of Passmark are you using to get the results you found?

Here in South Florida, I too was running a Q9550s. But even after setting the rear fans to run at full, I ended up having numerous random heat shutdowns. So to help cool the heatsink down, I super glued two 30mm x 7mm (Evercool EC3007) fans together, wedged them in place, and ganged them into the fan header at the front of the mobo (pictured below). Not a very exotic solution, but reasonably effective none the less. Ultimately, I also ended up downgrading to the cooler running Q8200s. But the fan noise of four fans running at full blast, while not whining loud, is still a bit of a distraction.

With the Q8200s, temps did stabilize down in the mid 60's after about 20 minutes using Prime 95. And idle dropped to near 40c (as opposed to 50c+ idle with the q9550s). This running the 2 extra heatsink fans, BIOS set to run the rear fans on full, the hotter 7200 RPM WD Gold HDD drive in bay 1 & 3, and flaps up on the other two drive carriages, I've also cut down the back of the servers grill to eliminate the obvious exhaust fan outlet restriction.

To further temp test / benchmark against the Pentium e5200, I've actually just finished gathering up a handful of CPU's:
Three dual core (a Pentium 3.2 Ghz e5800, a Core2 Duo 3.33 GHz e6800 & a 3.33 GHz e8600)
And four quad core CPU's (a Core2 Quad 2.66 GHz q8200s & a 2.83 GHz q9550s, a 2.83 Ghz Xeon L3360, and a 50w 2.67 GHz Xeon L5430).

Despite the need to do a bios flash, I couldn't resist the temptation to run the L5430. With any luck it will be the ultimate compromise solution since it's TDP is 15w less than all the others, but still Passmark scores within about 5% of a q9550s in their multicore bench.

I'm also planning to custom fit an Evercool 1u copper 775 heatsink (LGAL-710CA) that's pre-fitted with an 70mm fan to compare temps (and noise) with a couple of the CPU's & my current HP heatsink fan setup. This solution will end up looking more like what was done here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14207 on the post by helomechanic.

I've also been toying with the idea that the multicore CPU benchmarking could be somewhat misleading. The thought being that it's possible that most of the file serving tasks the MSS does may benefit more from a high GHz dual core as opposed to a quad core with a lower GHz.

Turns out that the best of the dual cores (the e8600) is practically 10% better than the q9550s on the same single core bench. And surprisingly, all the dual cores above bench within 6% of each other on Passmark's single core benchmark.

Granted, the q9550s out benches the e8600 by nearly 40% in a multicore bench (with both xeon's not far behind), but the MSS is basically just a lowly file server. So the million dollar question is, how often do you think it is actually multitasking as opposed to single tasking?

Any comments you'd share about this would sure be appreciated.

Attachments:
P1120089.JPG
P1120089.JPG [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 39330 times ]

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod
Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:18 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I can think of one example even with one user
The server is making a backup or a backup cleanup and at the same time you are streaming media and or using data from the server.
The stock cpu suffers badly with that senario
Then lets not forget about the de migrator that runs when it wants to.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:33 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
I can think of one example even with one user
The server is making a backup or a backup cleanup and at the same time you are streaming media and or using data from the server.
The stock cpu suffers badly with that senario
Then lets not forget about the de migrator that runs when it wants to.

I don't stream much with my MSS and kind in the dark with all that (probably need to join the 21st century)...

All good examples, demigrator seems to run a lot.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:11 am 

I would say that 4 cores is needed only if you run other services apart of file storage. I run 485 with Q8200s and DSM 6.2 that host several docker images (sites and web systems with mysql backend) as well as domain controller, file sync, cloud, backup, vpn and still have around 1 gb free RAM (of 4 gb) and CPU never get 100% for more than second. I plan to change CPU to q9400s so I will be ale to run additional windows VM for a accounting system (q8200s does not have VT-x). Sadly I was not able to install xeon L* on 485, it just does not start.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:12 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks for the input on the CPU's. Your using your MSS for much more than I do.

I still have a ziplock bag full of different CPU's to do a temp test with but have been working on an off-line update method for Vail in my spare time.

On the L, I'm presuming you found this already but did you happen to see this thread?

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13760

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks