It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: upgrade to 3.0 experence
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:47 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I figure i would wait to write on this for a week after i upgrade my server to see how it runs.

I was very surprised with the upgrade process. I had it burnt into my head that i would lose all my data, have to recover the server multiple times, but no of this happened it was a fast install. i had my server back up and running in less then 30 minutes.

After running the 3.0 OS for a week now all i can say is I'm very impressed with the upgrades. I even think it made my server run faster at least most of my common task. All i can really say is that i had a perfect install and i have not had any problems with my server since the install.

I did use the guides that were posted on the forum i would suggest reading them they are helpful unless you run recovery's all the time.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:33 pm 

Glad you had a smooth process and I have always said information is the key. My install was smooth. I ran into a few issues but nothing that was not easily fixed. I enjoy the 3.0 very much and think it was nice of HP to put it out even if it did take a while to get, it was well worth the wait.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

As a user who has encountered small problems (all resolved or replaced ), I fully expected things to be difficult. I ordered my upgrade disk and received them in 2 shipping days. I refreshed my backups, which wasn't all that difficult for me since I have 2 mediaVault servers backing up my MediaSMART server. Kinda redundant, but who knew HP was gonna keep improving things.

Anyway.... this Saturday evening, I begain the upgrade process. Almost immediately I hit a snag where the upgrade (server recovery)process could not find my MSS. I turned off the 2 MediaVault servers and restarted the upgrade and this time everything worked fine. (so there may be some conflict if you have a MV server). The Server Recovery process ran just fine, taking an estimated 15 minutes to complete its tasks.

At the end of the server recovery process, it tells you that it is time to install the client software and perform upgrades. The screen tells you that your MSS will reboot, perhaps more than once and that the process should take 5 or more minutes. About 2 minutes into this process, my MSS has indeed rebooted and now my client screen is trying to locate my MSS. It fails .... Naturally I go into panic mode and restart the whole process (thinking something must have gone wrong). Once again I come to this point, my MSS reboots and the client PC begins searching for my MSS server after about 2 minutes. Still nothing.... I am in REAL panic mode now and of course have it re-search for the MSS .... still nothing. I choose the manual advanced search option..... still nothing. I don't know what to do now, but I luckily just get up and leave the computer alone for about 10 more minutes. When I return to the computer, I notice a change on my MSS ...... The previously blinking blue light is solid now and my drive lights (previously unlit) are not lit .... I try the search for MSS server option one last time and POOF! It finds it right away and I go on to successfully complete this process.

So why share my stupidity? Because I was simply following prompts. The Servery Recovery process simply told me to click NEXT to search for my MSS. I assumed it knew what it was doing. WRONG .... It should tell you to wait until no lights are blinking and your drive lights are all lit as well. In other words, it should tell you to WAIT until the reboot has successfully completed. THEN ... and only THEN should you click the next button to search for your MSS and install the client software. This is a MINOR issue, I'll grant you..... but my BP went up 10 points and it didn't need too.

Aside from that... everything has worked fine. 24 hours later, MS has been updating itself. I guess I could have done that manually, but I didn't think about it.

All in all... a nice upgrade. I like the new server status screen most of all. Still playing with other features.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:00 pm 

I recently received my 3.0 upgrade disc in the mail and have attempted my server recovery to update from 2.5 to 3.0, I have run into an issue however, after installing the server update and then installing the client software on my computer and I try and open the home server console all I get is a blue windwo with a smaller white window inside of it... nothing visible in those windows at all, I tried Remote desktopping into the media server (a 485 btw) and this worked then tried to run the home server console from there and it did the same thing, a blue window with a smaller white window with no text on either of them.... has anyone else run into this? I can get a screenshot and upload. let me know if anyone has any ideas.

-Thanks
Mike

Gateway FX Series Laptop
Acer Aspire desktop
2 -Xbox 360s

looking for a good network media player

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:43 pm 
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the forums, Mike, check here first and definitely post a screenshot if the Wiki article doesn't help you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:53 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

also check for updates for your client.

Thanks