It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have a thread in the troubleshooting section regarding my apparent inability to correctly invoke recovery mode by powering on and clicking the recessed button on the front.

From the documentation and wiki, I am expecting to see a flashing pink/red health indicator when the MSS has properly entered recovery mode. My expectation is that the these two colors will continue to blink, perhaps for quite some time.

Do I have that right? Can someone please confirm that is the case for the EX485??

I get a few blinks of pink/red over several seconds, then a solid pink health indicator (and ultimately "no server found" on the client PC running the recovery DVD).

BK

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:20 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Help a fella out with confirmation of correct light behavior for recovery mode??

BK

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

Solid pink is no good, the server health LED will blink indefinitely while in recovery mode. If you reach the solid pink state, press the health button momentarily, count the blink code, and look it up in the Error Codes page of the Wiki.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:01 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Solid pink is no good, the server health LED will blink indefinitely while in recovery mode. If you reach the solid pink state, press the health button momentarily, count the blink code, and look it up in the Error Codes page of the Wiki.

Thanks for that - steady pink is no right. Tried the blink code procedure...no change in the steady pink. The wiki gives two different start states for the light, neither of which match my steady pink, so I suppose the test is not possible in my case.

BK

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:09 pm 
Founder
Founder

Since this is focused on verifying LED behavior, I'd posted in your other topic with my troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:18 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Correction! For the EX485, a steady pink LED is the correct indication for successful recovery mode! I just got off the phone with HP support and my 3.0 update is underway. More info in my other thread....

BK

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:32 am 
Founder
Founder

That is counter to the published HP documentation and not the way my EX487 behaves. I have to wonder if it is some error condition that they are aware of...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:58 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
That is counter to the published HP documentation and not the way my EX487 behaves. I have to wonder if it is some error condition that they are aware of...

Can't disagree with that. However, the documentation in the server (accessed from Help in the console) has this to say:

Attach an network cable directly between your PC and the server.

Unplug one end of the server Ethernet cable from your router or switch.

Plug the free end of the Ethernet cable into your computer so there is a direct connection between the server and the computer.

Prepare the server for recovery or reset.

If the server is on, hold down the Power button on the back of the server for at least 4 seconds to force the server to shut down. If the server is not on, skip to the next step.

On the back of the server, press the Power button to restart.

While the Health indicator light is blinking aqua white and red , press and release the status/recovery button on the front of the server using a paper clip.

If recovery mode is successfully initiated, the Health indicator light blinks violet .

Please wait while the server enters recovery mode and click Next.
This may take up to 15 minutes.
During the recovery process, the following may happen:

If the recovery program cannot find the server, see No server found.

If the Server Recovery cannot recover the partition data, the progress bar will go to 100% and then back to zero and start over.

If the recovery fails, see Recovery fails.

BK

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

Blinks violet is fairly different from solid violet, sounds like the docs are pretty inconsistent. Regardless, glad your server is working!

Thanks