It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: EX485 CPU temp?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:39 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have randomly received alerts via the WHS desktop app, that my CPU temp was too high on my server. But when I immediately bring up the console and look, it's in the 45-48C range and the fans are spinning at ~1200-1300.

I'm thinking this is a software glitch but thought I'd check here. The unit is stored in the storage room of my basement which is around 64F (18C). The unit has plenty of ventilation and the fans are working fine.. no dust, etc.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: EX485 CPU temp?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:35 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi,

This actually happened to my again today. It's been awhile since I have seen it but it complained about the temp and a bit later it was back and healthy per the systray icon. I am not sure why but this has happened to me in the past several months off/on but it also doesn't last too long. And nothing was going on with the system at the time this happened. Any ideas? What logs should I look at for information as that'll help me work on any issues with the system/debug it if there is a problem. It is sitting a foot from a radiator with backside facing it. But there is enough airflow plus ceiling fan going most of the day (being out of work and where my PC's are...).

So, any ideas/suggestions/logs to look at other than event viewer?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:29 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm going to jump in on this thread if you dont mind.

noticing the same thing on my WHS. seeing temps raise way up but neither fan never cracking 1200rpms. streaming media to a WD TV so its working but not really hard since thats all it is currently doing. ambient room temps are ~74 degrees.
All 4 slots are full, drive 2 and 3 are 94% full. the media being streamed is located on disk 2 and duplicated to disk 4. no clue why disk 4 shows 386degrees (thats a first)
WHS is located in a well ventilated place. no temp warnings yet.

what is the max rpms of the fans?
anything else I can do to help cooling?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:17 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

:sanjuan: any help?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm 
Founder
Founder

Except for the 386 degree hard drive, it looks like your system is performing fine. What problem are you wanting to solve?

Edit: I'm not sure what model server you have, but if that's an EX47x you can use my Fan Control Add-In.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:22 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

been watching my fan speeds for about a week now. they rarely go above 1200rpms and when they do its like 1201 or something small like that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:25 pm 
Founder
Founder

See my edit above, knowing what model server you have would help. The fan policy is implemented in the BIOS on the EX48x and EX49x so you'd have to go into the BIOS to change the fan policy.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:52 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

brentsg wrote:
I have randomly received alerts via the WHS desktop app, that my CPU temp was too high on my server. But when I immediately bring up the console and look, it's in the 45-48C range and the fans are spinning at ~1200-1300.

I'm thinking this is a software glitch but thought I'd check here. The unit is stored in the storage room of my basement which is around 64F (18C). The unit has plenty of ventilation and the fans are working fine.. no dust, etc.

Brent I have found the resourse console temp to be wrong most of the time, fan RPM and Temp
I suggest you download and install PC Wizard 2010 it will tell you the truth and MANY other things about your MSS.

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Vett

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:21 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

My upper fan is showing 130x and a backup is in progress at this time. The lower fan is showing 12xx for speeds. I did have another warning during the day in the past week but within a minute or two it was back to normal operation. I was *not* on the console to see what the fan speeds were. The CPU temp is also showing 57 deg c give or take a couple/few during backup.

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:36 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
See my edit above, knowing what model server you have would help. The fan policy is implemented in the BIOS on the EX48x and EX49x so you'd have to go into the BIOS to change the fan policy.

sorry. I have a 485. anytime i monitor temps i notice the fan speeds never climb about 1200rpms

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:30 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi,

I have the HP MSS ex485 and I posted my speeds in a previous post. My fan speeds currently are showing the following:
Upper fan: 1303
Lower fan: 1250

Is this in the normal range? I am also noticing that it seems a little louder than it used to be, i.e. I can hear it physically more so now than before. Installed I have the 750GB drive and I added in 2 640 and 1 1TB HDD's (SATA II's) to it after I had set it up last year.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:54 am 

Those speeds appear to be within normal range. The speeds can depend on what is happening in the server at the moment and corresponding CPU temp caused by that activity. It could be the added drives causing some increase in noise. You might also check to make sure there has not been a build up of dust on the front and rear vents of the server as that could cause either noise or higher temps from poor airflow. Lastly, there is also a power supply fan in the front that could be the source of increased noise if it was running a bit faster.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Texas-Hansen for this post
metalmike
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:59 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Texas-Hansen wrote:
Those speeds appear to be within normal range. The speeds can depend on what is happening in the server at the moment and corresponding CPU temp caused by that activity. It could be the added drives causing some increase in noise. You might also check to make sure there has not been a build up of dust on the front and rear vents of the server as that could cause either noise or higher temps from poor airflow. Lastly, there is also a power supply fan in the front that could be the source of increased noise if it was running a bit faster.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll check on the dust situation (need to get the can of air out for my main desktop anyways so why not check the WHS!).

Mike

Thanks