It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:52 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi,

I had messed a little bit with the network settings for the adapter for Wake On Lan for some reason awhile ago. I had it working pretty well for powering off during the day from like 7am to 5pm to conserve power/save a little on electric bill. Since then it hasn't been working quite as it had previously. Now I'm seeing no LED's/Lights on the system and icon on one desktop shows not connected to Server.

Any ideas on how to reset it back to defaults for the power scheme so that it works like it had before? This is including settings for the NIC adapter for Wake On Lan. I think what happened is whatever I changed it to kept it on pretty much constantly. I don't know what the default is on it and not sure if it's just "default" in the drop-down box for it.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:38 am 
Founder
Founder

Mike, if you take a screenshot of the settings you changed, we can probably get you a similar screenshot with our defaults.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:06 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

It is powered down at the moment (that's another thing that started happening off/on over past month or so) and not sure why as I have power settings I believe at previous setup. Let me see what I can do.

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:17 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

OK, It is powering up now. Below are 3 images taken from WHS console and admin add-on.

I also set Shutdown_WOL_Whateveritwascalled to None as it was enabled. And I changed the Wake_On_Lan to Match from other setting. Now editing image sizes....

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:16 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well I think it's back to normal now. It's off during the day from 8-5pm and comes back up shortly after 5pm. I'll keep an eye on it but looks fine now lol. Too bad if I try to connect to it when it's off it doesn't come back up (doesn't appear to be any light/activity on the NIC connection) as that'd be nice if I wanted to fire it up during the day to move some movies to it. But can always just rip during day and move when it's back up and running.

But... is there a way to wake it from this power saving sleep via WHS console connection attempt?

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:15 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well this is a quick follow-up. Now it's powering back up at 5:00PM for me but it isn't still on when I checked this morning at 7:00 am. It should have been on until 8:00 am before it went into sleep mode. Any ideas what else to check for?

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:12 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Anyone have an idea where to check for when my WHS system powered down? I have it set for 9am to 5PM and it does wake up at 5PM but when I get up in the morning it is already down/lights off. I am not sure where to look. I didn't see anything in event viewer. What log files should I look into, and where would be most helpful :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:01 am 
Founder
Founder

If it's not in the event viewer, I'm not sure where else to look. WOL is independent from the scheduled sleep functionality, but it does allow you to wake a sleeping server from a client. It's not clear to me what your objective is, other than you were trying to get the server to sleep to save a little electricity but you were changing network WOL settings to do so?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
If it's not in the event viewer, I'm not sure where else to look. WOL is independent from the scheduled sleep functionality, but it does allow you to wake a sleeping server from a client. It's not clear to me what your objective is, other than you were trying to get the server to sleep to save a little electricity but you were changing network WOL settings to do so?

Hi, I mucked with settings which is why I posted the screenshots per request for help on getting them back to default/what should be enabled/disabled.

In regards to when it shut down I didn't see it in the event viewer. I am trying to remember where the WHS logs its information so I can look at it via the RDP connection to see if I can find out when it shut down.

I am using the WHS console for power settings for setting the sleep/wake times (9:00am to 5:00pm) and it isn't waking when I try to connect from at least one of my clients. I am not wanting to wake it for backup (which is option from the systray icon), I was wanting to wake it up whenever I wanted to, i.e. I have some more ripped movies to put onto it. That isn't working when selecting Windows Home Server Console from systray icon.

But getting back to sleeping, I am seeing it is asleep before the time it is supposed it, i.e. I wake up at 7:00am and my WHS is down instead of going to sleep at 9:00am as I have it scheduled in the WHS console power settings.

When it's up one of these nights I'll RDP to it and look for the logs.

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:10 pm 
Founder
Founder

metalmike wrote:
That isn't working when selecting Windows Home Server Console from systray icon.

It isn't designed to WOL when the Server Console is launched. It's only designed to wake when either scheduled to by your power saving settings. In version 2.5 on the EX48x servers HP shipped a "Wake Server" utility, that doesn't appear to exist in the 3.0 software but any WOL utility should do it (my router running Tomato firmware can issue WOL commands to clients).

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
metalmike
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:02 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi,

I guess what I am trying to figure out is two things:

1) To be able to wake the WHS from any client so I can move stuff to it if it was sleeping during the day.
2) Figure out when it is shutting down as it isn't going to sleep at 9:00am, it is doing it hrs before (minimum of 2 as I've been on my desktop (one of the clients) and the icon is black, look at WHS and all lights are out on front). I don't know why this is not working properly. The wake-up time IS working ok as it comes back up at 5:00pm.

So those are the two things I'd like to be able to do vs having to pull the power plug on the WHS and put it back in and hit the power button. I would like to be able to wake the WHS from a client, not the other way around. I perform backups from laptop or other desktop manually as they are not on like my main desktop (24x7 mostly).

And I did find where it logs: c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\.....for path to the WHS logs.

Mike

PS - I re-read you post and caught that it wasn't designed to wake from a clients console. That's what I'd like to be able to do. Is this possible? If not, ok. But the other question still stands, why is it sleeping earlier than it should be and where I can look to find more information as to why and whatnot (debug it). I don't have it set (to my knowledge) to sleep after a backup is completed on a client. At least I didn't see that as an option in power settings or backups tab.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:44 pm 
Founder
Founder

I've not used the sleep mode except for a little testing, I find it more useful to spend the electricity of a 60 watt light bulb to always have my server on and available. To wake from the client, any WOL utility should work.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:00 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well it looks like I turn it off as I haven't seen any place to check for when it is powering off (before scheduled time by at least 2 hours). So to get around this I will have to stop using the power options to sleep for several hours. I didn't see anything in the WHS logs to indicate why it was shutting down nor anyplace else I looked (event viewer, etc). Where would that be logged (when it goes to sleep)? That's what I really wanted to get resolved, why is it sleeping 2+ hrs earlier than expected?

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:38 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

So noone has any ideas as to why it is powering down earlier than it should be per schedule in the console? I know backups are being done via checking them recently but why is it off hours before it should be? To re-iterate, I wake up and turn on my monitor and saw the systray icon black, i.e. WHS was down at 7:00am when it isn't supposed to until 9:00am. But it wakes up at 5:00PM which is what the scheduler shows in the WHS console. I wasn't able to find any info in the logs. Where should I be looking other than the documents and settings path? They didn't show me anything worthwhile. Nothing showing in Event Viewer either. I'd like to get this resolved. A workaround is leaving it up 24x7. I was hoping to have it down during daytime (i.e. while at work).

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:12 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Sleep has never worked once correctly on my stock ex487. Out of the box it would sleep but not wake up, or sleep then wake up randomly. HP of course said do a server recovery, I eventually did and the sleep problem was not solved. It then would never sleep on its own but would wake correctly. A second server recovery left my server going to sleep at 12 midnight no matter what time I told it to sleep at. Eventually I did a factory reset, now it sleeps when it should, but never wakes itself. But I can live with that, waking it up is easy.

So I suggest you give up, I did, it will save you a lot of frustration. I have found the sleep function, among many on the MSS to be less than reliable.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jeffla for this post
metalmike