It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:46 pm 

sodak,

Just turn folder duplication on for each folder you want to have duplicated and your done and your server will start doing its job. Depending on how much your server has to duplicate it can take an hour or two to a full day or many days. After that its not as exteme because your serve will duplicate as you add files. Depending on what you put on your server just know Hard Drives get filled up quickly.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I appreciate the help on the duplication, it looks like it started doing it.

Now though I have had an error come up saying that the backup service may not be running on Monday morning when I got up to go to work. I did what it suggested and ran the repair tool about 4 time and errors went away but it said I lost all my backups, so I reran them afterwards. So I go out of town this weekend and when I get back I get the same error and I run the repair tool 3 or 4 times but it is not fixing it this time. I read about somebody having the same problem a couple of weeks ago and it was a update problem, but I was thinking maybe a drive in the enclosure I bought. Is there anyway to check and see if I had a update fail? I looked at the server storage and all my drives say they are healthy. Is this always right, or could this wrong?

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:42 pm 

sodak,

I beleive the problem your refering to are the backup database error the some people who upgraded their servers to the HP3.0 software experienced as they had not yet downloaded and installed all the Microsoft and HP updates.

I am not really sure where your backup issue is or how it occurred. For this and many other reasons I strongly recommend that once you have your backup data base working again that you use the add-in BDBB which you can download from the ADD_INS area on this site. The is a utility that backs up your client data backup and a must have for anyone running Windows Home Server.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:25 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I think I have figured out what the problem is. Does anybody know what the different colors mean for the sync'ing are? I read what little bit it said about the it in the 2 page manual. I have tried it in all 3 positions (Orange, blue, and off) and it gives me a problem in all three. The least problem seems to be when it is blue. It almost seems like when there is less or no activity that the enclosure drops the connection with the server and doesn't pick it back up when the server wants to do balancing or any of the other things it does without notice.

Thanks again for the help

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:59 pm 

Does that means my EX485 esata port will see it as 1 esata raid drive? so can I access 5 extra drive via esata from my 485 with this enclosure?

thanks

Wil[/quote]

anyone find an answer for this; can you get an external enclosure for esata on an EX485l and do a RAID 0 and have it recognized as 1 big drive even though their are 4 actual harddrives in the box?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:41 pm 
Founder
Founder

Playsccr, yes if the drives are in a RAID array and present themselves as a single volume then the EX48x should see it. I wouldn't recommend using this in the Storage Pool, but it would be fine as a backup drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:59 pm 

thank you for the reply. so i have my EX485 server and what i would like to do is get a big esata enclosure to backup the server. so which RAID would i choose? and is this possible?

also more than likely each individual drive in the esata box would be different storage sizes. basically left over drives. is that OK?

thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:10 pm 
Founder
Founder

RAID1 or RAID5 would be best for some protection against drive failure in the enclosure. RAID requires matched volumes on each drive, so a mix of drive sizes won't work.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:14 pm 

i got a bunch of extra drives lying around; id like to put them to good use, they are not all the same sizes; any suggestions then?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

Another WHS. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:25 pm 

I like that idea Yakuza!!! Actually you and I are not the only ones with more then one WHS in the home. :sanjuan:

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:36 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I am buying the Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2 3.5" Black USB2.0 & eSATA Pro Box 4 Bay Enclosure and 2 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive to expand my server storage.

I also have a few assorted drives- 1 T, and 750 that I may throw in.

A question on performance (obviously using USB and JBOD).

My HP currently has 2 1.5 TB, 1-1 TB and the system is on a 250g.

Should I add the 2 -2TB drives to the WHS, and place one of the 1,5TB and the 1 TB in the External Drive? or Just add the 2 2TBs to the external enclosure.

I have been ripping my movie collection (On local machine), and storing for playing around the house the Mymovies for WMC Win7.

Also have Music and photos with Duplication.

No encoding or video editing on the server.

netgear WNDR3800
Trendnet Gigabit switch
Networked receiver SC1222k
Roku XD player
1 HTPC- win7-32
2 HTPC WIn7 64 ( i5k i7)
Dell I5 note book

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:31 pm 

Actually its all a matter of prefrence and you can place the drives anywhere you want. Just where you place the drives really depends on how you plan on expanding your servers storage capacity but other then speed issues which you may not really notice much WHS will not care where the drives are. The other thing here is that demigrator will place the files where it see's fit so files will end up on drives in either enclosure.

So there is no right or wrong way to approach where you place the drives. I do recommend you get Disk Management to help you determine the drive locations if your not using it already. Another add-in worth mentioning is Home Server Smart but it will only be able to access the smart data on the drives in your server but not drives that are USB Connected. You could also opt to get a 2 TB Drive and connect it to the eSATA port on your EX48x as it will support one drive there and Home Server Smart can properly monitor that drive. So one way to look at it is to keep all the important drives in your server so they can be monitored. Another approach to monitoring the health of your drives is to use an eSATA docking station where you can plug in the drives from the USB enclosure to the docking station and check the smart data information but thats a chore in of itself but I do urge everyone to consider a docking station to help troubleshoot and work on drive issues which makes connecting them to another PC very easy and their simplicity of use makes them a must have for those running servers but not exactly necessary but hey do server a very good purpose but thats another subject all together.

So in the end only you can determine what works best for you. Good Luck with your new enclosure and I hope it serves you well.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
Heywood
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:56 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for the reply-

I ordered from New egg yesterday, due to arrive today. :banana:

thoughts-

My current add-ins are My movies for WHS and Disk management.

Since the 2TB drives seem to be the most touchy, maybe I should add them to the WHS and get the Home server Smart Add-in.

Can I also use an esata single enclosure I have and the USB BOX at the same time? An esata docking sounds like an interesting Idea for periodic monitoring of the health of USB mounted drives. (I do have a few USB docking stations that came with drives that I have used to recover files, and run diagnostics.)

netgear WNDR3800
Trendnet Gigabit switch
Networked receiver SC1222k
Roku XD player
1 HTPC- win7-32
2 HTPC WIn7 64 ( i5k i7)
Dell I5 note book

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:29 pm 

Yes you can use a single drive connected eSATA on your server and use the USB enclosure your about to receive which will give you a 9 drive capacity.

The docking station be it USB or eSATA connected will work equally well for working on drives. The unit I have can handle two drives which requires an eSATA connection and that comes in real handy for imaging drives. I will be honest with you though I use the USB connection most for running CHKDSK functions, formatting and partitioning.

The only thing about them is you have to remember to let the drives spin down. If you pop the drive out and remove it your hand and arm will be sent flying through the air and its not exactly good for the drive either but its something if you do it you will never forget and its always when your in a rush.

I liked the docking station so much I have a setup at work not quite the same but for working with IDE Drives using an old enclosure must the same as those cables you can buy that you can connect SATA or IDE drives but this has a place for the drive to actually rest in and its own power power supply in the enclosure but its open at all times for quick access.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
Heywood