It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: online media streamer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

i have a ex487 and i didnt know if it was possible to customize or change the online media streamer? if i missed a post about this please just point me in the right direction. thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:32 am 

Check out ORB for streaming your content online. It works pretty well. Click on the link below for instructions on how to add ORB to your server:

http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?t ... ome_Server

I have it running on and EX470 and for the most part its been working well. I can even watch movies using my Windows Mobile Smart Phone with a 3G connection which not the fastest thing in the world in my opinion but it works and best of all its free.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
pman860507
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:45 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

thanks mate. i was reading and it says

Quote:
Here you’ll see the users that have access on your media. You can add users simply by clicking on the button and fill the required info needed. They will have access on your WHS shares when they log in at www.orb.com. Check the Tips section for more info about this.

You’re done! Wait a while for Orb to index your shares (this could take a little while, depending on how many shares you got). You can safely reboot (Orb will continue to index the files next time it's started) and RDP back into your WHS to make sure everything is running smoothly. You’ll see the green Orb icon in the tray. Orb is not yet configured as a service, we will cover that next. Just make sure everything is OK and that the File Browser is turned off by logging in @ www.orb.com. You’ll see that some media (if not all – depending how big your shares are) are displayed in the browser. Thumbnails are being generated, just like your media library, just give Orb some time to complete that task. When you’re done go back to your WHS desktop unless you want to add some users to it (See Tips section for this). Right click on the Orb icon in the tray and press configuration again. Now de-select “Start Orb when windows Starts” and select “Run Orb when I am not logged in”. Reboot your WHS and you’ll see that Orb is running as a service!

does this mean that they first have to set up an account on orb.com?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:40 pm 

Actually you can setup 3 accounts from your server software configuration. When you read through the documentation you will find out how to set the first account and then you can add 2 additional accounts for use. There is a web page you can setup to allow others to access your media but I have not done anything with that as of yet so I can offer any advise on how that actually works or how to control who gets access to what.

I do suggest that if you do install it then play with it and see how you like it before allowing others to do the same. There is some wise advise in the WIKI from the site I posted about file access that you should take seriously. Also I would not set or allow others to upload or download content to my server. I try to control everything done on my end as much as possible. The sole purpose for my wanting to actually stream Music, Video, and Pictures is to share my content primarily with my family.

Anyway I think ORB is a good addition to the server but you can also install it and run it from a PC so if your neverous about running it on your server you can install it on a PC and stream from the PC something I have contemplated doing and have the PC access the Media content off the server.

Oh yea there is one thing you should know about the ORB Service and that is sometimes when you logon directly to your server either local if your setup to do so or RDP you should know that when you logoff the ORB Service has a tendancy to shut down. If this happens then you can alway connect to your server then tell it to reboot if your in a remote location and when the server boots it will reactivate the ORB service. If your just using the Console to connect to your server then I do not think you will need to worry about this happening.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:58 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Actually you can setup 3 accounts from your server software configuration. When you read through the documentation you will find out how to set the first account and then you can add 2 additional accounts for use. There is a web page you can setup to allow others to access your media but I have not done anything with that as of yet so I can offer any advise on how that actually works or how to control who gets access to what.

I do suggest that if you do install it then play with it and see how you like it before allowing others to do the same. There is some wise advise in the WIKI from the site I posted about file access that you should take seriously. Also I would not set or allow others to upload or download content to my server. I try to control everything done on my end as much as possible. The sole purpose for my wanting to actually stream Music, Video, and Pictures is to share my content primarily with my family.

Anyway I think ORB is a good addition to the server but you can also install it and run it from a PC so if your neverous about running it on your server you can install it on a PC and stream from the PC something I have contemplated doing and have the PC access the Media content off the server.

Oh yea there is one thing you should know about the ORB Service and that is sometimes when you logon directly to your server either local if your setup to do so or RDP you should know that when you logoff the ORB Service has a tendancy to shut down. If this happens then you can alway connect to your server then tell it to reboot if your in a remote location and when the server boots it will reactivate the ORB service. If your just using the Console to connect to your server then I do not think you will need to worry about this happening.

thanks man i got the account added that i wanted. i will also check out the wiki and read up on it i really like it.

Thanks