It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: 485 USB Video - Success
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:12 pm 

I just wanted to share that I've managed to get USB video from my 485 to work. I'll quickly explain what I did/ purchased.

This all began because I got tired of using remote desktop connection. Mainly there were somethings that we're giving me considerable problems. For instance I wanted to use the media server as a print server but installing drivers was becoming a nightmare and I had disabled the network card twice on occasion which pretty much ends everything. I also needed a bit more access to configure services for certain things. After a significant amount of effort looking for a USB device I found a company called Aluratek. The USB video card does 1650*1050 24 bit color; I wouldn't recommend it for gaming but it works.

USB VGA -> http://aluratek.com/product_info.php?pr ... isplay=All

Unfortunately I had to do some tinkering to get the device to work. I could get it to work properly with all of my other systems but the server just wouldn't work.
Initially I thought I was fighting the fact I just couldn't turn on the device through the system properties but quickly found that it was running and was installed. Thus I thought that the device had to be cloned through the desktop properties. Another failure I still had a black screen. I did some more reading and eventually realized I would not be able to extend to a second monitor through remote.

Fortunately about a week later I realized I was looking at the problem completely wrong. As some of you know the video access is for debugging only and is there but is interal. So I had to figure out how to get rid of that. Under the device manager I removed the default installed display adapter from the server and restarted. Next thing I knew the video came to life and I had complete local access to what seemed to be Windows 2003.

At this point I've pretty much been able to configure Active Directory the way I want. Next step I hope is to get server 2008, IPv6 and Direct Access working for Windows 7. Updates on that coming soon.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 pm 

Good deal. I use to run a USB to VGA connector on an EX470 the trick to get it to work was to disable the default vidio driver and then install the cable driver and reboot. Unfortunately the USB to VGA connection does not show the boot process and video only starts once the WHS is loaded.

The USB-VGA connection is ideal for those who are not comfortable opening up their MSS to install the DEBUG cable but as I mentioned it does not become active until WHS LOADS. What I like about having a video connection is I can logon to my server and access what I need without having to use the Console Connector or RDP. Having video also allows me to monitor my server and has allowed me to study some of its behavior. A side from that the server as you know just runs itself and requires very little intervention on the endusers part. But I like having video available for one other reason. If you end up with a network connectivity issue and its the result of an issue with the motherboard you can see it and you can then opt to add in a USB-Gigabit cable and get your server back online which basically buys you sometime.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:47 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Ok so you have the monitor connected and working, how do you get a keyboard and mouse?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 pm 

The keyboard and mouse are easy to connect using 1 or 2 USB Ports. They do sell a USB Cable that allowes you to connect both to a single USB Port.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:18 pm 

Keyboard and Mouse was easy. Big problem has been the USB printer. It seems to kill the video when it's plugged in. I think it's a power issue...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:52 pm 

You might consider taking that printer off your server if its putting a load on your USB Ports. I have a couple printers connected to a Printer Server and it works out well as all my computers and servers included can access the printers. There are print servers for USB printers. Also you could set the printer to be shared through one of your other computers but the problem there is if the computers not on well the printer will not be accessable.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 pm 

I've tried a few usb print servers but had no luck. I've used all in ones with them before but can seem to access it over the network which is weird. I'm pretty confident I'll find a solution eventually. I just have to find the time...

Thanks