It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Video Preview Failed
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:34 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just thought I would post a note about remote streaming video.

MP3's stream from work, but videos do not. I am running 2.5. I am a noobie so I'm not surprised!

Folders are all there, including size and AVI file type, sometimes it will start to blue in like its on its way but it never plays. Thanks in advance.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Video Preview Failed
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:09 pm 

What you might want to try is ORB which does work but your limited to only 3 user accounts. For information about adding it to your WHS click on the link => http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?t ... ome_Server

I have been testing it on my server for the past week. What I can tell you is that there are times ORB does disconnect from my server but for the most part the connection is generally good. I am working mostly with MKV files and have others testing the stream with other formats which they will tell me about this week. One tester told me that there are times when the movie plays no problem until its close to the end or others will play for about 20 mins then start over. This may be due to a bad rip but I will not know fully until I dedicate sometime to just play the movies on my end to see what the story is.

I had planned on moving my movies to another server which is not so busy but decided to hold off until I can determine if its just a bad rip or is it the server. I have 2 EX470's and would desire to run one just for streaming video and the other to handle all my other tasks. At this time I also suspect the origional processor to be a possible issue meaning that its not fast enough to really handle the streams this may not be the case for you but for me I am out looking for a couple rare 3800+ processors the one with part number ADD3088IAA5CU which will help boost my servers performance and also help better handle the video streams of course I have to edit the BIOS but until I actually build my own server I will do my best with what I have.

Good Luck with your quest to steam video! :sanjuan:

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
twelvestring
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:36 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yes, thanks so much for the reply, I don't need to stream HD all I want is to post some youtube for my kids
so they can remote access and look at some videos.

At first I thought this unit was great, got it from Newegg, now I'm not so sure. I did have some unrealistic expectations tho. One was a silly idea of being able to remote my music and picking and choosing a playlist remotely, Ha what a joke I guess there is no need for it, if I needed a playlist I would just create it before hand. I cant expect to REACH inside the server and move things around, although I know people have done WMP11 on the server desktop.

If I need to show my friends what great music I have I guess I should do the work offline. So the remote access for the music is OK, I guess.

The video streaming gets me though. Thats what I really wanted it for. On the network things stream fine, but remote access is not working at all.

I only paid 369.00 total so I guess I at least have remote access to music, and I have backup, and eventually I will have video, although I don't think 3.0 will do anything for me. Setup went well being that I'm not a software guy and never mess with things like registry and such.

What I don't like is that I'm spending soooo much time on research, I do know that the time for that is coming to a close that is why I am trying to wrap things up.

I do appreciate you getting back so soon. The last time I posted, my problems were solved, so I thank you very much.

Yes I have heard of ORB and researched it, and will go back to it.

Let me ask you why would I use TWONKY? Why would I use the ITunes server do I need these, I thought WHS has its own software, why are these so confusing. Can't we seperate the two, get ride of them? Use something that is embedded in WHS?

See I really don't know what I'm doing!!!! Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:06 pm 

You will be happy to know that ORB can stream video to your blogs. I just read about it today. ORB will do many things like display your pictures and stream your Music and Video. However for streaming Music I use Subsonic and there has been much written about Subsonic on this site. It does work tho.

Now with ORB I was streaming video to my cell phone. It was like being a child at Christmas. Last Friday I was showing some of the people that work for me movies I was streming to my Smartphone using ORB to connect to my server.

So the point here is it can be done. Is it perfect hmmm I am not quite there yet but I have lots to learn and so just getting things to do something is pure excitement.

Now to setup a user account with ORB you do that from the device (Your Server In This Case) that your streaming from. You can do it with a PC too and have the PC pull your video files from the server. But there is documentation on the ORB web site WWW.ORB.COM which you can read about the other areas you can stream from. I have tested ORB Remotely here and there and it just works so as Larry the Cable guy says Geter done!

Your investment in your server as you will soon see will pay off in dividends and since streaming video and music have gotten you down. Just know its possible and it can be done. :sanjuan:

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:09 pm 

Here is a review of Subsonic posted by Damian for you to reveiw => http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/10 ... -released/

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
twelvestring
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok, Great I knew I could rely on my fellows at the mediasmart site to help me out, I was looking earlier to find the way to thank you for your reply. I will check out the Subsonic also, now what would I disable on what I presently have, being that I would use different software?

Does this mean uninstalling TWONKY and iTunes?

I don't mind purchasing software if it fills the need. I doesn't have to be free...

Well ok, Subsonic, Orb, sounds like a good checking into!

OK, did HP screw this up with their associations with TWONKY and iTunes, just trying to capture some kind of popular support?

Hey! I do need more support, thanks for being there!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:37 pm 

Both ORB and Subsonic are free programs and neither require Twonky. As a matter of fact I uninstalled Tonky along time ago however there are some applications like iTunes and some media devices that do use and or require Twonky. Personally I try to limit what I have installed on my server as much as possible just to keep the overhead down. Your EX48x may have other needs for Twonky but I run EX470's.

Anyway you have enough things right now to keep you busy with for a while. Just pick one and get it working and when your happy with it then do the other if you feel the need.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
twelvestring