It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:20 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I am giving my EX484 to my daughter. Currently, she does not have an internet connection in her house, but she is likely to get one in the not so distant future. She will be using the EX485 to backup her laptop... as well as hold some media files.

Is there any issue with:

1 - Netgear wireless N router w/ no internet connection.
2 - EX485 wired to to the router
3 - Laptop wirelessly connected to the router

I have never used a home network without an internet connection before. I suspect that DHCP would still work to assign local IP addresses. Obviously, she would not be able to remotely attach to her server until she gets an internet connection... but otherwise, are there any other issues?

/Jim

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:31 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Other than not getting updates she should be fine. I have a client doing that (EX470++) and all is fine. He has gotten updates via a phone connection, using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on one of his clients. Slow, but... He also has been known to hop onto a neighbor's unsecure wireless to get updates. One time he carted the whole system to a wireless hotspot when he had to do a System Restore.

So it is doable. And if it's working for what you need the updates are not really a high priority anyway.

Since there is no connection he does not worry about AV software either!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:37 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
Other than not getting updates she should be fine. I have a client doing that (EX470++) and all is fine. He has gotten updates via a phone connection, using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on one of his clients. Slow, but... He also has been known to hop onto a neighbor's unsecure wireless to get updates. One time he carted the whole system to a wireless hotspot when he had to do a System Restore.

So it is doable. And if it's working for what you need the updates are not really a high priority anyway.

Since there is no connection he does not worry about AV software either!

Thanks, You just confirmed how I believed it would work.

I suspect that she will get an internet connection soon. She is on a temporary assignment in a new city (Billings MT) and lives 1.5 blocks from her office, so she has been using work for her internet connection along with her Blackberry and iPhone while at home. She is pretty sure that she has found an internet provider that does not have an early termination clause, so she is going to look into getting an internet connection through them. In any case, since I seem to be her tech support, I want her to have a backup solution in place... which is why I am giving her my EX485 (not to mention it gives me a good rationalization to upgrade to an EX495). ;)

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:42 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

A suggestion, Jim... You may want to set up a VPN between that MSS and one of your PCs at home so that when she does get operational you will have a way to be local to her system for troubleshooting.

Of course with a VPN she could backup to the MSS at your place, negating most of the need for her own MSS.... (Ahhh... Sorry, that does not negate the need to give her the old one so you can get a new one, does it!!!??)

Food for thought tho as troubleshooting via a VPN can be a bit easier at times.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:39 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
A suggestion, Jim... You may want to set up a VPN between that MSS and one of your PCs at home so that when she does get operational you will have a way to be local to her system for troubleshooting.

Of course with a VPN she could backup to the MSS at your place, negating most of the need for her own MSS.... (Ahhh... Sorry, that does not negate the need to give her the old one so you can get a new one, does it!!!??)

Food for thought tho as troubleshooting via a VPN can be a bit easier at times.

I can't let my wife see this post... and let her think that there was an alternative to upgrading my server. ;)

Seriously... I am not sure that a VPN is within my skill scope right now. However... it is food for thought, and a possible follow-on project. I have a lot going on now. I am going to set up my new server and get it operational prior to Christmas. Then on Christmas day, I am going to begin the conversion from a Vista PC to a 27" i7 iMac as our main home computer. I'll need to migrate all of our primary data to that machine... integrate into a new set of tools (iPhoto/Aperature, etc), get Mozy running on the Mac... get it backed up to the Time Capsule, get media collection working to the 495, etc. It is too early for me to start worrying about a VPN.

/Jim

Thanks