It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: EX485 Drive Balancing
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:58 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Couldnt find anything about it through search...

I just added a 2TB drive to bay 4 since my other drives were at 92% and 96%, along with 63% on the system drive. How can I force the system to balance the drives? I want to remove the data from the system drive and populate the new 2TB drive, or at least even out the storage. I though I had read somewhere before that the MSS is supposed to do this automatically, but over 24 hours after adding the new drive it is still at 0% usage and the console is stating it was balanced recently.

Any ideas on manually balancing the storage, or do I just need to wait longer??

Attachments:
MSS_Console.jpg
MSS_Console.jpg [ 87.21 KiB | Viewed 6380 times ]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:33 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I think the general recommendation around here would be to add the new drive to the pool and then just forget about it. Let WHS manage the storage allocations. There is no need to manually balance the storage; the Drive Extender (DE) logic will handle all that as it deems best.

FYI, this has been discussed on MANY threads around here. Experiment with other search parameters. (Be careful about some old posts -- even some of mine -- recommending a specific tool -- that tool does not work with the latest versions of WHS.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank JohnBick for this post
jburke232
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:11 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
I think the general recommendation around here would be to add the new drive to the pool and then just forget about it. Let WHS manage the storage allocations. There is no need to manually balance the storage; the Drive Extender (DE) logic will handle all that as it deems best.

FYI, this has been discussed on MANY threads around here. Experiment with other search parameters. (Be careful about some old posts -- even some of mine -- recommending a specific tool -- that tool does not work with the latest versions of WHS.)

My main purpose of wanting to balance the storage is to remove all data from the system drive. I have been getting error messages lately stating that "Volume with name Primary Volume is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk ST3750630AS". I have run the repair before but seem to get this message about once a week. I need to remove the data from this disk so that I can replace the main system drive, providing HP will send me a new one. Whats weird though is when I view the drive details (through disk management), it lists failure predicted as false. I know if I just shut down the box and replace the drive as you normally would for the system drive, I would most likely lose all the data that has been written onto that drive. I do have folder duplication turned on, so there might be a chance that whatever is lost from replacing that drive might be replaced, but I didnt want to take that chance.

I just need to keep this thing running until mid Feb when I can pick up a new ex495.

You said some tools do not work with current versions of WHS, does this apply to the drive balancer add-in? I recently found this tool, but havent used it yet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:40 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I finally found those other threads you talked about (thanks to google). My question is this:

If I shutoff folder duplication what is the possibility of removing the data from the system drive? I read in one or two of the other threads that it seemed to help others, then turning it back on would populate the duplicated data to the new drive instead of the system drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:40 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You will need to use the Drive Balancer program to move the data off of the system drive.

Thanks