It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:34 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi - I am struggling to get Media Collector work right. Right now, I have the client on 1 PC installed, and have retried this twice already but it fails to collect all media.

I get this error saying: "media collector did not have read write access to the server"

This happend on the second try.

Note, I do have a lot of media, it starts collecting photos, runs for like 24hours or so then gives a message. It doesnt collect Music of Video.

I had Guest account enabled first, then disabled it, and just placed my computer account username/password.

Now I have kicked it off again by going to the Hewlett Packard folder and selecting MediaCollector, its running but I have a feeling it wont collect music/video.

I have made sure the configuration in the Server picks up all.

Ugh - very frustrating, also it seems like its started to collect all over since the count begins from 0. I'm guessing it failed before, hence the reason.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:13 pm 
Founder
Founder

Unfortunately the Media Collector isn't the most reliable piece of software, though HP has made some significant improvements in the 3.0 software. Do check this Wiki article as it has some details on the Media Collector in the 2.5 software including log locations and some troubleshooting tips. I'd suggest trying to narrow down the problem, disable the COllector for everything except one media type and see if you can get it to complete or else determine the cause of the failure.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the suggestion, that helped. I turned off Photos and Music, just enabled Video, that helped collect the Video.

Other Issues I am having is:

1. Noise (which I guess I'll deal with for now)

2. The remote access is slow, I tried the Media Streamer today and it is extremely slow in accessing the files, etc. What can I do there?

3. How reliable is the way it backs up the PC? How would I restore a PC?

4. If I add more hard drives, do I restart from scratch for the duplication, it seems that duplication is setup as default.

5. I am still within the return period with HP, do you think they could offer any incentive for me to keep this machine. I got for $320 shipped but am not fully satisfied. Also, it seems I have pay for the next Upgrade i nthe 30.0 software.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:31 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Another Issue I noticed though might be HPMEdiaservers fault is that I have a Pictures folder with all my pictures.

that same folder I have backed in Drive E and F.

Now, when collecting, its collected the files from C/E/F drives, which include the same picture, same picture name, except different drive letter.

Any quick way to resolve this? Or my only way to delete all the files and reset the server/start over for the Media collector?

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:49 pm 
Founder
Founder

jiqbal wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, that helped. I turned off Photos and Music, just enabled Video, that helped collect the Video.

Other Issues I am having is:

1. Noise (which I guess I'll deal with for now)

2. The remote access is slow, I tried the Media Streamer today and it is extremely slow in accessing the files, etc. What can I do there?

Glad you made some progress. Were you trying the Media Streamer inside or outside the home? Full-size videos or Converted mobile quality? The outside the home experience is entirely dependent upon your upstream speed from your internet provider.

jiqbal wrote:
3. How reliable is the way it backs up the PC? How would I restore a PC?

The PC backup is quite reliable and very efficient. There are Whitepapers for the Computer Backup linked in the Troubleshooting forum that might interest you if you're looking for more details on how it works. The PC Restore process is well documented in the included help files, but basically just requires booting the PC off the included PC Restore CD.

jiqbal wrote:
4. If I add more hard drives, do I restart from scratch for the duplication, it seems that duplication is setup as default.

No, duplication is on a per-share basis, and adding drives to WHS simply expands the available storage and possible duplication locations. See the Whitepapers mentioned above for how Drive Extender works.

jiqbal wrote:
5. I am still within the return period with HP, do you think they could offer any incentive for me to keep this machine. I got for $320 shipped but am not fully satisfied. Also, it seems I have pay for the next Upgrade i nthe 30.0 software.

If you're asking if HP will refund you some money to keep your server, I doubt it.

For your duplicate files, you can manually delete them from the Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the update.

1. Yeah, the media streaming is for out of home experience. It is brutal, I can see the folders, but won't load the files. They are full sized videos just as I have on my desktop. My upload stream is pretty good, I have a dual wan setup, was hoping it would work fine.

2. So if I delete the Duplicate folders, hopefully it won't cause a Issue in the rescan, or I might just delete the entire folders and then do a rescan.

I still have a few days when I can test this out to see if I want it, otherwise will return it.

Yakuza - i think you bought this same unit from SD as well , see you have the same username.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

The full-size videos will not play well, use the Video Converter to change them to MQ and it should be much better.

Yes, I posted the deal on Slickdeals. 8)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for posting that deal, the price is real good. But aren't you bothered by the noise?

I'm just trying to see if I can deal with the noise, at this point it does not seem like it.

What other improvements do you suggest? Thanks again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:25 pm 
Founder
Founder

You can search on "server noise" and see some people's suggestions. If it's sitting on your desk or in your bedroom I can see the noise being bothersome, but mine is in my office with other equipment running so it doesn't bother me. I've got anywhere from 2-6 Home Servers running at any given time plus my desktop, so not an issue for me.

As for other suggestions, I'd just suggest you read around the forums and get more familiar with WHS and how it works, the feature set of the MSS, and check out some Add-Ins at www.whsplus.com.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:34 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yeah I think im going to return it today, the noise is bothering me. Even though the price is great at $320 for a EX487. I called HP, but not much they can do in terms of a Exchange with a newer model.

I'll keep a look out for the newer model price drops/deals, and hopefully you can post one on SD if you run into one.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:20 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ugh - I might just keep this because of the price factor. Even though I created the RMA, I have 5 days to return it, decision...decisions...

One thing I noticed when rekicking the Media Collector is that duplicates rae appearing.

And I think its because one file is located under Admin (my username) --> Desktop and then C-->Users-->Admin-->Desktop

I would think it would skip the duplicates.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:43 am 

jiqbal wrote:
Yeah I think im going to return it today, the noise is bothering me. Even though the price is great at $320 for a EX487. I called HP, but not much they can do in terms of a Exchange with a newer model.

I'll keep a look out for the newer model price drops/deals, and hopefully you can post one on SD if you run into one.

Thanks

Although not nearly as cost effective as the deal you got, the EX49x series is reportedly much quieter with it's reconfigured PSU fans.

There are also some threads from users who successfully replaced the PSU fan for the EX48x or EX47x to get it to run quieter. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1592&start=15 Otherwise, maybe find a location where you can put it that the noise will not be bothersome since you really don't need it out in the open or easy access to it given it's headless.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:12 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks yeah HP was charging me $150 to upgrade, i decided to pass on it.

I might try to place it in anotherl ocation, though its going to hard for me to run the Ethernet wire.

I might see if it works if I add a Wireless Bridge using a DD-WRT router I have.

I would try to adjust the fan or sound , but not sure if that voids the warranty, plus dont know how this case opens, t he sound is coming from the front, i think that is where the PSU is located, its a whirring sound like a cable is hitting the fan.

which from what i read seems to be the case for many. I guess the fan is not adjusted or set properly it seems.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:18 pm 

The noise is common for some users. The PSU fan for the EX48x (and EX47x) is located in the front of the MSS. It was moved by HP to the back with the EX49x series, which improved on noise quite a bit from the posts by users and testers. EX47x and EX48x have been able to adjust the tension on the screws holding the fan to help reduce or eliminate odd fan noises that don't seem right. (See this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3303&start=0&hilit=fan+tension ) You get access to the that location by removing the front black lower grill. It's very easy. See the instructions for installing RAM on the EX47x series for more info if needed. The #00 Philips screwdriver is essential.

A wireless bridge might work but I suspect you'll have some disappointment with file transfer speeds, etc.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:03 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for that info.

Another thing I notice is I can't stream any video or watch it using remote access.

Twonky Media - I went to it on the Console an its not collecting anything.

When I click to Add a folder nothing is there.

Also, in my Media Collector, I noticed that the videos get transferred if I stop Photos, but in the status page it says 0 files transferred, when files are there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks