It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:26 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I'd like to replace the drive that came with my MSS with a larger one. It has the 750 gig drive plus a 1000 gig drive I added.

Is there a recommended procedure for this in simple English? :mrgreen: Is there a size limit on the drive in that bay? Any other hints?

Thanks, mucho \:D/

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:14 am 

hakr wrote:
I'd like to replace the drive that came with my MSS with a larger one. It has the 750 gig drive plus a 1000 gig drive I added.

Is there a recommended procedure for this in simple English? :mrgreen: Is there a size limit on the drive in that bay? Any other hints?

You should just be able to shut down the MSS, pull out the O/S drive, throw in the new drive, and run the server recovery. Make sure that if you eventually put the old O/S drive back into the MSS as storage you completely wipe the drive clean first. You can see Alex's article on doing a server recovery on the MSS here.

Keep in mind that the O/S drive does not get used to store data (aside from the O/S data) until all other storage drives are full

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:47 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
hakr wrote:

You should just be able to shut down the MSS, pull out the O/S drive, throw in the new drive, and run the server recovery. Make sure that if you eventually put the old O/S drive back into the MSS as storage you completely wipe the drive clean first. You can see Alex's article on doing a server recovery on the MSS here.

Keep in mind that the O/S drive does not get used to store data (aside from the O/S data) until all other storage drives are full

Whoa! Nothing goes on the O/S drive (othan than the OS and its data)? So...there's no reason for me to change it out...it would be far simpler just to toss another gig drive in the box? Correct?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:56 am 

hakr wrote:
Whoa! Nothing goes on the O/S drive (othan than the OS and its data)? So...there's no reason for me to change it out...it would be far simpler just to toss another gig drive in the box? Correct?

Correct, unless you use up your storage pool space the O/S drive will stay unused aside from the O/S data. I would just throw in another HDD and add to the pool for ease (no need going through a server recovery if you don't have to).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:02 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
hakr wrote:

Correct, unless you use up your storage pool space the O/S drive will stay unused aside from the O/S data. I would just throw in another HDD and add to the pool for ease (no need going through a server recovery if you don't have to).

Thanks, guys. Now, is there any reason to not put a larger new drive in the box...larger than the 1 gig I've already put in there? I presume the data seeks space where it can find it, and that storage drive 1 might fill, and then the data will use storage drive 1 (taking into account balancing).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:04 am 

hakr wrote:

Thanks, guys. Now, is there any reason to not put a larger new drive in the box...larger than the 1 gig I've already put in there? I presume the data seeks space where it can find it, and that storage drive 1 might fill, and then the data will use storage drive 1 (taking into account balancing).

No reason not to go larger then the 1TB (I assume you meant TB, 1 gig is not a lot of space for a drive!!!). The 1.5TB Western Digital GP drives are a solid choice. You can never have too much free space!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:52 am 
Founder
Founder

Note that since you only have two drives in your server, if you've got duplication enabled then you most certainly are using your System drive to store data. I'd still recommend adding an additional storage drive rather than replacing the system drive at this point.

Thanks