It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:26 am 

Hello everyone!

I recently (and finally) purchased a UPS for my home server. The first time I plugged the USB control cable into my Home Server, the server immediately shut off. I thought it was a fluke so I tried it again with the same results. Next, I turned off the home server first, then plugged in the USB cable and tried to power on the machine. The home server did not power on until I unplugged the USB cable. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Plugging the USB control cable in to another computer worked without issue. It recognized the UPS and automatically installed the drivers for it.

Hardware details are:

Home Server = HP EX485
UPS = APC RS-800

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kory

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:34 am 

First, Welcome to MSS.net forum. :encore:

I'm using the same UPS with my EX470 with no problems so it sounds like an issue with either your EX485 or the UPS. The RS800 works really great and is good choice. No fan noise and has good power backup time to get through outages, etc. When used with Grid Junction, it shuts down the MSS very nicely and smoothly. A couple thoughts:

1. Have you tried plugging the UPS into one of the other 3 USB ports on the EX485 to see if you get the same result?

2. Did you install any APC software (or other mfrs' UPS mgt software) on the EX485? (You do not want to use the APC software on the WHS; the best one to use is the Grid Junction add in to handle communication between the UPS and the WHS. It was specifically written for the WHS and APC UPSes)

3. If 1 and 2 do not help, it sounds like a problem with your EX485 and the USB ports. You might go into an RDP session and then go to Device Manager (Start>right click Computer>select Properties>select Hardware Tab>Device Manager) and look to see whether it reports any problems with the USB ports. It could be the UPS and if it can easily be exchanged, you might give that a try to narrow the variables. If it continues to happen after trying a new RS800, then HP can't really pass the buck to APC. Then, a call to HP support will be in order.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks