It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Data Transfer Rates
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:47 am 

I just installed my EX485 this morning. I started moving files from my PC to the 485 - My data transfer rates are painfully slow. I'm getting between 225 and 700 Kb/sec. Is this normal? My router is 10/100. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Data Transfer Rates
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:36 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

iamandu wrote:
I just installed my EX485 this morning. I started moving files from my PC to the 485 - My data transfer rates are painfully slow. I'm getting between 225 and 700 Kb/sec. Is this normal? My router is 10/100. Did I do something wrong?

It is possible that you have a speed/duplex mis-match between the MSS and the router (or between your PC and the router). You can check for this by seeing if under the ethernet statistics on the MSS it is showing that it is taking a large number of collisions.

If you are interested in doing file transfer you should really just get a gigabit switch. Connect the PC(s) and MSS to the gigabit switch and then connect that to your router.

You can get a very good 5 port gigabit switch for about $40, such as this Netgear;

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-GS105NA-G ... 756&sr=8-6

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:35 am 

I am somewhat confused by the use of a gigabit switch? If the server is connected directly to the modem then why would anything additional provide more speed? I am a bit of a novice to the world of servers so I am currently doing the spadework to gain more knowledge.

Cheers

:cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:02 am 

scoobysteve wrote:
I am somewhat confused by the use of a gigabit switch? If the server is connected directly to the modem then why would anything additional provide more speed? I am a bit of a novice to the world of servers so I am currently doing the spadework to gain more knowledge.

Cheers

:cheers:

well, it depends on what your "modem" is capable of. If your modem has built into it a router and it is gigabyte capable, then no additional router needed. That is not the typical situation. Most users have a router coming off the modem and then the MSS and all client computers connected to that router. If the client computers have a gigabyte network card, then you would want the router to be gigabyte capable so that you could achejve the fastest throughput speeds for data transfer between the MSS and client computers. You want all the components in the chain to be gigabyte to get the best transfer rates or you end up with a bottleneck at the router or switch.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:28 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

With a 10/100 router the trick would be to get a gigabit switch, pulg the client(s) and the MSS into the switch and connect that to the router. (A NetGear GS-105 is cheap and does the trick -- I use a pair of them.)

But even with the 10/100 router in there those speeds seem very slow, iamandu. Are all your connections wired? What do you have for a router?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks