It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:21 am 

My 475 died last week and I was able to get a 485 for $388 or so new from HP Saturday. So I am replacing the 475. I did the upgrade of the ram to 2 gig's and the CPU. I do remember a huge improvement once both were replaced.
Question, the server will be for backups and photo access from the internet. If it saw media streaming more than a few times a year I would be stunned. Is the current ex485 cpu acceptable for this? I have no problem upgrading it, but if it doesn't need it, why do it.

I do intend to replace the 750 with 4 1-tb drives. Also, I gave my 475 to my kid, if he gets it working, can you install the server software from the 485 on it? Or would he still need to use the 475 software?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:13 pm 
Founder
Founder

For your usage, I'd probably not recommend a CPU upgrade. You'll need to install the original EX47x software on that server, as the drivers are very different. Or, wait until the 3.0 Software is available for the previous generation servers from HP.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:21 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Yakuza, what CPU would you recommend upgrading the 485 to? I'm looking to upgrade my CPU but have no clue what to move to.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:32 pm 

bryanb wrote:
Yakuza, what CPU would you recommend upgrading the 485 to? I'm looking to upgrade my CPU but have no clue what to move to.

You might take a look at this thread for CPUs that have worked. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3667

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:49 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Texas, I have looked over that thread pretty thoroughly and I'm leaning toward the E5200. I just can't find a specific answer on if there is a bios update or overhaul needed in order to run the chip. Any Advice?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:33 am 

While I have no personal experience on upgrading the CPU on an EX48x, my recollection is that no bios adjustments are necessary. It may take a couple reboots after install for the MSS to fully recognize the dual core.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:47 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Texas-Hansen wrote:
While I have no personal experience on upgrading the CPU on an EX48x, my recollection is that no bios adjustments are necessary. It may take a couple reboots after install for the MSS to fully recognize the dual core.

Ok, I believe I'll give it a shot. Having a quicker server would rock.

Thanks