It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:45 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

With the new EX48x series about to hit the doorsteps of some members, can anyone speculate/comment, etc. on what will be required to migrate over to the new box? For instance, if you had an EX47x with 3-4 drives, what would be the most effecient way to move the data (and data drives) over to the new box if you purchased say and EX485?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:46 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

If anyone is that desperate to get rid of their 47x, send it to me and I will upload your files to your new server. :mrgreen:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:34 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Not sure I'm desperate, nor am I necessarily in the market. However, I was curious as to if it would be easy or not. With the EX47x, changing the chassis was no big deal, just pull the drives from the old unit and pop them into the new one. Moving to the EX48x I assume would not be so easy. However if someone had a EX47x with 2-3 drives and bought a EX485, could you move the data drives over to the EX485 and what steps would you need to take to do that. Given that the software package on the EX485 would be different intuition tells me that everything (data) would have to come off of the EX7x first. But is there an easy way to do that and if so what are the basic steps?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:41 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

TechVet wrote:
Not sure I'm desperate, nor am I necessarily in the market. However, I was curious as to if it would be easy or not. With the EX47x, changing the chassis was no big deal, just pull the drives from the old unit and pop them into the new one. Moving to the EX48x I assume would not be so easy. However if someone had a EX47x with 2-3 drives and bought a EX485, could you move the data drives over to the EX485 and what steps would you need to take to do that. Given that the software package on the EX485 would be different intuition tells me that everything (data) would have to come off of the EX7x first. But is there an easy way to do that and if so what are the basic steps?

I just did a Factory Reset and was able to restore all my data pool files. Thinking about that it seems the steps would be the same. IMO you are correct that you could not just take the data pool drives out of the EX47x and put them in the EX48x. For one thing the tombstones would have to be recreated on the new server. The only way I can think to do that is the same way I did it for the Factory Reset I just went through.

You are going to need some drives to make copies of the files in the data pool Share Folders and client backup files. If you don't have them I see no way to accomplish what you are asking. So first, get enough (let's say) USB drives to do Server Backups of all your Share Folders and your PC backup files.

Conceptually, here is what you would do:

1. If you want to retain your PC backups, you will have to use Alex's WHS BDBB Add-in to get copies of the backup files or use some similar method.
2. Use the USB drives to get Server Backup Folders (as per the PP1 update) of the Share Folders from the EX47x.
3. Put enough drives in the new EX48x to hold then backup database and Share Folders from the EX47x. To reduce the risk of loosing data, you could use new drives, but since you have backups of the files on the old drives, you could chance using those to save the cost of buying new drives.
4. If you use the old drives from the EX47x in the EX48x server, be sure to pay attention to Alex's Thread here.
5. Use the USB drives to Restore the Server Backup Share folders and collect your backup data from Alex's WHS BDBB Add-in.
6. Of course, you would then have to recreate user accounts, re-install add-ins, etc. to get the new server like your old, but that would have to be done anyway ANYTIME you move to a new server.

*Done*

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:39 pm 
Founder
Founder

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS, merely speculating.

Since it's WHS under the hood, with only the HP additions as the difference, it seems like you could use Server Recovery to your advantage. You could move all the drives to your EX48*, run server recovery (using EX48* disk), and theoretically you'd have a new OS on the C: partition that includes the HP additions. You could also try just moving the non-system drives from the 47x to the 48x and run a Server Recovery, but you'd possibly lose the backup DB.

If you decide to try this, be sure to back up your files if at all possible. I'd probably also remove everything from the HP application folder (D:\folders\{6f*}) as it may try to restore the ini file, etc. This will delete your webshare albums but they'd be useless on the new software anyway.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:59 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I am thinking about migrating my 470 to the 485....

The new software at version 2.5 is really compelling----at least to me....and I've finally scratched together some money (don't tell the wife!)

Any updates to this thread???

Easiest way to go?

Would have the EX475 with three additional 500 gig drives-----but would like to use at least two of my 500 gig drives that are currently in my 470 if possible.

I do not care about my current PC Backups. But do want to move over all my shared folders and reset everything I currently have----my personalized TZO domain and remote access setup.

And I understand that my photosharing web stuff would all have to be reset under the new system.

Any help or advice appreciated.

John

WHS 2011 with 12 TB storage, 5 connected PCs: 1-Win 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, 2-Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, 2-Win 7 Home Premium 32 Bit, DLink DIR-655 Wireless N Gigabit Router, HP MediaSmart TV, Roku Media Player, Apple TV2, iPhone 4, iPad2 3G

Last edited by johnrr6 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:02 am 
Founder
Founder

John, I've done this once successfully, though had a wrinkle that I'm doing another test of to verify. I expect to complete it this weekend and will post a wiki how-to at that time.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:52 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Configuration is simple enough. Moving data is too - and no fudging or praying is required.

Plug both machines into a cheap Gigabit switch (or if you have a VGA/Keyboard cable just use a crossover cable). Set statuc IP addresses on both boxes to suit so that they're on the same segment. Map the shared folder on the 470 on to the 485. Note that the machines mush have unique names, so at least one will need to be renamed from the HPSERVER default.

MOVE across as much as will fit on the 750 gig HD usinf Windows Expolrer and the 'move to folder' command available in the drop menu, then 'remove' one or more of the drives from your 470 and stick them into the 485 and add them to the pool and keep 'moving' your data until it is all across and all you have left is the base 470 with the original 500 Gig drive.

Depending on how much data you have on the 470, you may well be able to remove a drive before starting the process and doing the migration in a single pass.

Why is it that they only provide the 16 meg cache version of the drive anyway?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:03 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Also----are you guys updating the Firmware on that Seagate 750GB Drive that comes with the EX-485???

If so----how did you do it??

WHS 2011 with 12 TB storage, 5 connected PCs: 1-Win 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, 2-Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, 2-Win 7 Home Premium 32 Bit, DLink DIR-655 Wireless N Gigabit Router, HP MediaSmart TV, Roku Media Player, Apple TV2, iPhone 4, iPad2 3G

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yak----any results to report.....

It's my birthday next week and I think I'm gonna hit the send button on a 485 from Newegg.....

Also----did you update the Firmware on that Seagate 750GB Drive that comes with the EX-485???

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm 
Founder
Founder

I've not completed this, it's fired up and ready to go though. The 2.5 update work has kept me busy until the wee hours most nights this week.

I have not updated firmware on those drives.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:19 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks Yak----I'll stay on the lookout....

I orderd enough Amazon gift Certificates to cover the cost of the Server and two WD Cavier Black 1 TB Hard Drives

I had a bunch of "Reward Points" from my credit card built up----so this will be like a FREE birthday present----even better.

When the Certificates come in----I'll order the ex-485 and drives from Amazon.

So I think this whole process will take me a couple of weeks anyway which is fine as you guys shake out the bugs and quirks of ver 2.5 of the software.....

and I'm a HS Baseball coach and in the middle of my season anyway....

Sleep is overrated..... \:D/

So they tell me.... :shock:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:10 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Ordered my EX-485 and 3 WD Cavier Black 1TB Drives from Amazon a few days ago----should be here tomorrow. Had enough gift certificates from my credit card milage program to cover the whole thing!! Yeah!!

First thing I will do is pull the Seagate 750 and if necessary----update the firmware on it....

Now----how about this for a "changeover" plan.....

And realize that I don't care about any computer backups......I just want my shared folders moved onto the new Ex-485-----the computers can then all rebuild their backup files after that.

Take one of the three WD 1TB Drives----and put it in an external USB drive box----and hook it onto my existing EX-470----and back up all my shared folders to it.

Set up the new EX-485 with the original 750 and the two other 1TB drives----then hook that USB drive to the EX-485 and add all the data back into my shared folders.

Then----erase that third 1TB drive in the USB enclosure----remove it from the USB enclosure----and add it as well to the storage pool in the MSS.

This way----NOTHING actually gets destroyed as I still have an absolutely complete EX-470 that could still work if everything goes to heck in a hand basket during changeover and setup......I actually have done NOTHING to it......just copied the shared folders......

Sound reasonable????

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:58 pm 
Founder
Founder

That sounds like a great plan. :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:16 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Quick Questions:

Do I have to uninstall the existing Client software from each machine that is currently hooked to my 470 BEFORE doing any setup/install on the 485?????

If so my steps will be....

1. Backup all my shared folders to the external USB
2. Unplug the 470 from the network and shut it down.
3. Uninstall all client software
4. hook up the 485
5. Load the client software
6. set up all settings and passwords
7. Update the MSS to version 2.5 software
8. Add the two additional 1TB Drives to the storage pool
9.Reload all my shared folders off the Extrnal USB
10. Set up the new features-----web share, data streaming etc.
Once everything is working----wipe the3rd 1 TB Drive and add it to the storage pool

Again----sound reasonable????

Also----Seagate's serial number checker site says my 750 GB Hard Drive is not affected by the firmware problem so I am going to leave it alone......

Thanks