It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:52 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I am having a continuing problem with my MSS and an eSATA tower I am trying to use with it. During a support call last Sunday night (Jan 25, 2009) with HP Server Tech Support in Canada, the technician leaked some important (IMO) info about the new EX-48X Servers due to come out next month. I won't memtion his name for fear there might be repercussions to him, but I can assure you he said what I am about to report. I DO know his first name and I have a case number but I see no benefit to anyone in realeasing his name.

Intel, according to the Tech, told HP they would have multi-port support for the eSATA connector and did not deliver it. When HP was deciding what chip to use in the new servers, Intel said the chip would support an eSATA tower (Smart Tower, I believe the Tech said) but when the chip was specified (the one that HP had already designed the new servers for) was finally delivered for the production machines, the multi-port support was not there!

I asked the tech if that meant they might have to provide such a capability some time in the future, the Tech probably realized he had already said too much and he "clammed up". I have no proof for this except my word that "that is exactly what the tech told me".

Update: Upon making a recent phone call to HP Tech Support in Canada, I asked if the people there in Canada worked directly for HP or were contracted by them to support the MediaSmart Server. They are CONTRACTED with HP and do not work directly for the company. I guess HP must just allow them to use an hp.com domain for email. The Tech told me at least some of the cases are seen by HP directly. I don't know how they decide which cases are shown to an HP manager working directly for HP but he said, the trouble I have had getting a satisfactory resolution of my two cases would definitely be looked at by an HP employee. I don't know how this affects the validity of the comments from the tech about Intel fibbing to HP about the PM properties of the new chip. I could still be true, but I have to admit since the phone tech that reported that info to me does NOT work directly with HP its chance of being true is reduced. He definitely told me the story I reported in the OP. I DO know that for sure.

Last edited by SeaRay33 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:17 pm 
Founder
Founder

That's interesting, not offense to support engineers but I'm surprised they would have that type of info, unless they are pretty high up the food chain. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Very interesting, I know a while back HP did a lot of outsourcing for phone support. I believe they ended up going back in house if im not mistaken. If they did outsource (I use to work for a company that helped with that) then the phone tech would know nothing about that info. The one caveate is that you could have actually gotten a HP tech as their outsourcing was 50/50 and then it could be way more acurate.

I find this pretty believable myself anyhow. it wouldnt be that much diffrent then them pushing hardware they claimed to be vista compatible to sell off stock they were discontinuing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:48 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I can't say for sure the phone tech worked for HP. I have talked to HP support in India a number of times on PC's that I have and do still own over the years. Their first level support was terrible with a capital T! The second level folks were very good.

This was a first level support tech for the MediaSmart Server. He was VERY knowledgable. I was impressed with his abilities but I don't know who he works for. He said it was HP, but anyone contracted (outsourced) for support would say the same thing, I am betting.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:28 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I have just confirmed that the phone tech I spoke with in Canada DOES work for HP. And Alex, to your point, he seems to be fairly high up in the support organization. The other phone tech I was speaking to today has an hp.com email address and referred to the previous tech by name and was getting further information from him. Of course, this does not guarantee his info to me about the port multipler was accurate or even having an hp.com email address does not guarantee he works for HP but it is a fairly strong indication, I would guess.

Update: Upon making a recent phone call to HP Tech Support in Canada, I asked if the people there in Canada worked directly for HP or were contracted by them to support the MediaSmart Server. They are CONTRACTED with HP and do not work directly for the company. I guess HP must just allow them to use an hp.com domain for email. The Tech told me at least some of the cases are seen by HP directly. I don't know how they decide which cases are shown to an HP manager working directly for HP but he said, the trouble I have had getting a satisfactory resolution of my two cases would definitely be looked at by an HP employee. I don't know how this affects the validity of the comments from the tech about Intel fibbing to HP about the PM properties of the new chip. I could still be true, but I have to admit since the phone tech that reported that info to me does NOT work directly with HP its chance of being true is reduced. He definitely told me the story I reported in the OP. I DO know that for sure. I am going to place this update in the OP as well.

Last edited by SeaRay33 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:23 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Anyone know the part number of the Intel Chip used?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:42 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Randyrtx wrote:
Anyone know the part number of the Intel Chip used?

The CPU is the Intel Celeron 2.0GHZ 64-bit Processor. Is there a way to find the Intel Part Number for this chip? I'm not sure. However, the CPU might not be the chip Alex is talking about that affects the port multiplier capabilities of the EX48X series. You may find the information you need in Alex's review where he discusses this issue. If you haven't seen the review yet, it is found here

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2008/12/28/review-hp-mediasmart-server-ex48/

Sorry I can't help with the part number.

Last edited by SeaRay33 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:20 pm 
Founder
Founder

My closer look at the new MediaSmart Server hardware blog post may contain the info you're looking for.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:20 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

This is an important update to the OP so I am posting it as a new post to this thread as well as an update in the OP one other post in this thread, just so the info is completely clear about the source of the rumor reported here.

Update: Upon making a recent phone call to HP Tech Support in Canada, I asked if the people there in Canada worked directly for HP or were contracted by them to support the MediaSmart Server. They are CONTRACTED with HP and do not work directly for the company. I guess HP must just allow them to use an hp.com domain for email. The Tech told me at least some of the cases are seen by HP directly. I don't know how they decide which cases are shown to an HP manager working directly for HP but he said, the trouble I have had getting a satisfactory resolution of my two cases would definitely be looked at by an HP employee. I don't know how this affects the validity of the comments from the tech about Intel fibbing to HP about the PM properties of the new chip. I could still be true, but I have to admit since the phone tech that reported that info to me does NOT work directly with HP its chance of being true is reduced. He definitely told me the story I reported in the OP. I DO know that for sure.

Thanks