It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Re-tasking EX475
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 am 

I have a EX475 with the processor and memory upgrades done. I am excited about the new MSS offerings and was considering upgrading to the newest server and migrating my old server to a different purpose. I know there isn't a great deal of difference between the two, but I am in the need of a proxy/FTP server at my house for other applications and have been looking at what I could use to perform these tasks and I believe my 475 would fit the bill with a 485 taking its place as my home server.

Does any one think there would be an issue re-tasking a 475 with Server 2003 for this purpose? Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this without a monitor on the 475? Or I guess I could just continue to run WHS on my 475 and install the other applications I need to on it since it is based on 2003? Any comments?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re-tasking EX475
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:57 am 

I have a EX475 with the processor and memory upgrades done. I am excited about the new MSS offerings and was considering upgrading to the newest server and migrating my old server to a different purpose. I know there isn't a great deal of difference between the two, but I am in the need of a proxy/FTP server at my house for other applications and have been looking at what I could use to perform these tasks and I believe my 475 would fit the bill with a 485 taking its place as my home server.

Does any one think there would be an issue re-tasking a 475 with Server 2003 for this purpose? Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this without a monitor on the 475? Or I guess I could just continue to run WHS on my 475 and install the other applications I need to on it since it is based on 2003? Any comments?

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Re-tasking EX475
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:32 pm 
Founder
Founder

It'll be difficult to get an OS installed without a display, plus you'll need several drivers at install time. I'd probably recommend you just use WHS as it is, you don't have to add additional drives to the storage pool and could instead just add them as new volumes. I'd recommend a search on installing Server 2003 or Linux on the server for more details on what is involved with that process.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:02 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Why retask just sell it and build a proper system. I'm in the market.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:18 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

footVOL wrote:

Or I guess I could just continue to run WHS on my 475 and install the other applications I need to on it since it is based on 2003? Any comments?

Don't see why you could not install apps directly on your 475. I have Filezilla FTP server running on mine. works like a charm under WHS.

Thanks