It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:29 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm trying to stretch a few more years on my EX487 hardware which I love, but I'm having the server disconnecting from RDC and client computers and a back up cannot be completed.
I don't know what the problem is, but these are the things I've tried:

- Upgraded to Windows Server 2016 Essentials (WSE 2016) using a flash drive (headless installation). The same problem happens with WSE 2016, so the problem is most likely not software related.

- Tweaked with the NIC Adapter settings, but it didn't solve it. Then I bought an USB 2.0 Ethernet adapter, and it also didn't solve the problem. So, it's probably not the NIC adapter.

- I tried several ports in my router (in case I have a bad port), but again after 1 hour or so into the back up I lose connection.

I’m starting to think it’s related to heating issues. The server runs around 50-55 C idle (RealTemp 3.70), and peaks at 60-63 C once a back up starts. It stays at this level until a lost connection around 1 or 2 hours into the back up process.

I am going to replace the thermal paste on the CPU (I had this problem in an old Xbox 360), and I think I will take advantage to replace the Celeron 440 with the E5200 SLAY7 (I read here that it’s a kind of plug and play process).
I will upgrade the RAM to 4GB. I also plan to change the fans, but they seem to be running fine. I will see if I find more powerful fans (and quieter) so the entire system runs cooler.

The hardware upgrade will also help with the WSE 2016 (btw, WSE 2016 works fine on the Celeron 440, but of course it tops 100% CPU all the time).

Anybody else run into these problems and has suggestions about what to do next before I go thru the entire hardware ‘revamp’ process?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:48 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Network Cables/Network switches/Powersupply cleaning/overall cleaning (dust bunnies)
These would be my next move.

I have upgraded my x-510 (same hardware as 495) with the e5800 and 4 gig ram, not sure if you model will go with the 5800 but mine ran cooler as it didn't have to work as hard.
You say server 2016 do you really mean 2016 that is just out of beta right? most people are installing win2012E and win2012 E R2 then the older upgrade was whs 2011.

And it could be the system is going south, Maybe time to go to ebay and maybe find a cheap spare for parts. I have 4 servers so I have plenty of parts.

Let us know if you figure it out, it may help others.
Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
ds1111
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:28 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, as I open to upgrade my EX487 I will perform a full clean up.

I installed Windows Server 2016 Essentials. You can download an evaluation copy here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcen ... essentials

I love that is looks so much like Windows 10. I really want to keep it but it's expensive.

I'm considering building my own server if I find a compact multi-bay case the size of the Mediasmart. Surprised that nobody thought about that yet. With the Mini-ITX format I would think someone would offer such a case (Mini-ITX in the bottom or top and 4 bays).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Replying to my own message.

I just googled and I found this:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=42#cfi-a7879
https://www.amazon.com/Norco-ITX-S4-Min ... erver+case

May be the route I will follow if I dont' get my EX487 working. Would love to have WSE 2016 on a i7-6700K... :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:17 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wow! very cool cases, Wish I would have had those choices a few years ago when I built my win2012E DIY.
Thanks for the links, love to have those for sure. :-)
:offtopic:
I am a anti-win10 so 2016 server would not interest me, I paid $350 for win2012E and hope I don't have to use it, it is setup but just for testing/playing.
I will be running WHS v1 as long as I can with all my win7 and vista clients.

It may be just me, but the EX-480 series servers seem to have more hardware problems then the rest, I went ex-470 to x-510 and skipped all the others. Picked up (4) x-510 so I would have spare parts. Have had zero problems with them.

Wish you luck, but those cases would be very tempting indeed, if I could go back, I would have waited.

Good Luck let us know if you find out the problem, might help someone else.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:31 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok... tried a couple more things without success

- Tried a Wifi adapter (in case was the NIC adapter causing the problem), and I still had the problem. So I went ahead with the upgrade of the CPU.
- Upgraded the CPU to the E5200. (Btw, just in case someone is looking into doing this, I had to use PECI 0 & 0, and SpeedStep 0 & 0 in the BIOS to make it work at full speed of 2.5GHz).
- The BIOS battery was depleted, so I changed the BIOS 2032 battery.
- Cleaned up the entire system (fans, board, power supply, etc.)

The system is really running cooler now (around 50C all around), but this didn't prevent me from losing connection when I was about 60% of my first computer (with around 500GB in data). So, it's not a heating issue as I initially thought.

Very disappointing. I'm going to try again tomorrow, but I'm starting to think I will have to ditch this hardware.

Could it be the hard drive? I'm thinking in ordering a new hard drive. Is there a way to test the healthy of the hard drive via RDC into the EX487?

Any additional ideas?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok...
After some research, I run this software called CrystalDiskInfo to obtain the healthy of the hard drive and this is what I got.

There are 3975 (000F87 in hex) reallocated sectors, and the health status is showing 'Bad'.

So I guess I will order other HD and see if that solves the problem.

Attachments:
2016-11-02_0047.png
2016-11-02_0047.png [ 727.47 KiB | Viewed 24610 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:20 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I hope it's ok... but I'm documenting my saga here... I wish I had started with the HD as a possible failure, but I really didn't think the problem could possibly be the HD... this is the 3rd Seagate Barracuda that fails on me since I owned the EX487 (2009).
After some research I decided to order a Hitachi HD, and I also ordered a 250GB SSD so I will install Windows Server 2016 Essentials in a separate HD. If this EX487 still fails I can always move all this new hardware to my new build.
This is my order:
250GB SSD: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OA ... UTF8&psc=1
Enclosure for the SSD: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UN ... UTF8&psc=1
4TB Hitachi 7K6000 HD: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DE ... UTF8&psc=1

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:52 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I use only Hitachi and WD reds.
I have never been a fan of seagates, have seen a lot die but have also seen a lot that have lasted forever.
I think you will like what the ssd does for you, plus it will run even cooler. :-)
Good Luck Sounds like your close.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:14 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well, well, well… I guess it was the Hard Drive… after I replaced the Hard Drives I was able to back up all my client computers super fast without any problems.

I guess there were few lessons from this:

- Start by checking your hard drive. I now have installed the excellent software CristalDiskInfo in the ‘Start’ (pin to Start) so I can perform constant checks on my HDs.

- Never more buy Seagate Barracuda HDs. As I said, I started this entire thing thinking it was not possible to be the HD as I had already replaced the HDs before. Last time it failed the symptoms were different also (the server would freeze completely). So I guess I was expecting the same behavior if it was the HD, and not just disconnection from the server.

In the end I’m happy because I ended up with a much better EX487. Now with the double core Intel E5200, an SSD as my boot drive and Windows Server 2016 Essentials.

I’m still evaluating WS2016E, not sure if I will keep considering the steep price. I wish they had a smaller version for people that just want to use it as a backup server. This thing is a total overkill for someone like me.
I did notice that my backups now are super fast. Around 300Mbps on the clients connected via Ethernet and 100Mbps on the clients via Wifi. I also noticed that after the first back up, the recurring backups are incredibly fast. I literally thought it had failed the first time because it was so fast. I guess they improved their algorithms quite a bit on WS2016E.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:35 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Awesome!
Since I am still on Whs V1 I always install the FREE Smart Addin first thing (to keep an eye on the drives).
They also have a paid version of smart, but if Crystal works for you that is all that is needed.
Harddrives and power supplies and dust bunnies are the three biggies.

Glad to hear you got her going.
Good Luck

Smart if your interested:
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
ds1111