It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:50 pm 

Hello! • I've a EX-487 running v2.5 software. Two days ago, it was running. Both my Windows 10 and my 2 Mac platforms could see it. This is a combination of a WIRED & WIFI network. The 10.6.8 Mac mini did a wired Time Machine Back up to it. The i7 Mac mini (MacOS 10.10.5) in the other room saw it on the WIFI network. I could drag and drop files to it etc. Life was good ... until ... I powered off the MSS.
I thought I'd let it rest for the night, as I've nothing critical going on. Next morning I powered it up. The three display lights on the bottom, all glowed aqua ... a flashing aqua here and there, (no red at this point) settling down to all solid aqua. I powered up the HP Tower, and attempted to access the MSS through the Console. No joy. Neither Mac could see it either.

I've attempted to access it, restarting it several times, part of those restarts with a paper-clip through the access hole in the front (under 4 seconds of power-on). Now the light on the far right ends up flashing, first aqua-red, then ends up just RED.

In the near future, I am planning to upgrade the software from 2.5 to 3.0. That is on hold now, until I can get things going again. All Drive bays are occupied for a total of 2.5 GIG space. The bottom bay has an empty 40 GIG HD, ready to receive the 3.0 software. BTW,I have a Dual Core upgrade processor, the E5200, 2.5 GHz CPU on the way. Got my eye on a 4 GIG RAM upgrade too. Lastly I have plans to install MS Windows Home Server 2011 ... after the CPU & RAM upgrades are installed. I could really use some advise. I appreciate any information or suggestions you may have.posting.php?mode=post&f=17#

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:21 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi,

Normally the bottom drive (out of 4) is the system drive. So if you have an Empty 40GB Drive in there (other than being to small to have a WHS1 install) it won't have any OS on there to boot.

Also the recessed reset button is to be used as part of the recovery process - normally to power down the system you use the UI, or momentarily press the power button on the rear. Or to hard shutdown, press and hold that power button or remove the power. There is no reset button of which you may be familiar on a PC.

May I ask what used to be in the bottom drive bay?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:29 am 

albal wrote:
Hi,

Normally the bottom drive (out of 4) is the system drive. So if you have an Empty 40GB Drive in there (other than being to small to have a WHS1 install) it won't have any OS on there to boot.

Also the recessed reset button is to be used as part of the recovery process - normally to power down the system you use the UI, or momentarily press the power button on the rear. Or to hard shutdown, press and hold that power button or remove the power. There is no reset button of which you may be familiar on a PC.

May I ask what used to be in the bottom drive bay?

First, thank you for your input. Wahoo! I swapped the original bottom bay drive, a larger capacity HD with the system on it, with the smaller empty 40 GIG HD. I could put the original bottom drive back into the unit and reboot (this time with out pressing the reset button) and see if it comes up. I pulled the 40 GIG HD and reformatted it to verify that the drive was good. It did reformat sucessfully.

In short, put things back they way they were, power up the unit and see if it returns to service. Would you agree?

Thanks