It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Remote Access
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:58 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

When I remote into my server from the HP MediaSmart Website, I would like to bypass the Windows Home Server Console and go directly to the desktop of my server. Right now, the way it is configured, I have to logon to the MS website then logon to the console then go to Advanced Admin console and click on desktop. Also, once I am on the desktop the screen size is small. It is like have the size of a typical monitor. I know there is a way to fix this but I can't remember.

I would like to have remote access but go to the desktop and I would the screen size to be bigger.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Remote Access
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:34 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Have you tried remote desktop connection?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:38 pm 

There is a way to change the console to the desktop when you use Remote Access to logon to the server. It requires you to edit the rdpload.aspx found in c:\netpub\remote on your servers system drive. Make a backup copy of the file so that you will have an original copy you can restore later should you feel the need too.

Attachment:
File comment: The Highlighted File is the one you want to make a backup copy then open with notepad
WHS_Logon_RDP_01.JPG
WHS_Logon_RDP_01.JPG [ 79.66 KiB | Viewed 19899 times ]

Open the file with notepad and comment out the line with // in the picture below then save the file.

Attachment:
File comment: Shows the line that needs to be commented out using // at the beginning of the line as shown in the picture
WHS_Logon_RDP_02.JPG
WHS_Logon_RDP_02.JPG [ 101.75 KiB | Viewed 19899 times ]

Now instead of the console being loaded from a Remote Access Connection your Servers Desktop will load.

I have to give credit where credit is due here. I learned this trick from the book Windows Home Server Bible written by Greg Kettell & Jennifer Ackerman Kettell. This information is on page 286-288. http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Home-Serv ... 047022956X

Let me know how it works out for you.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:58 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

COMP1962,

I can always rely on you, friend. You suggestion worked like a charm. However, when I log on and I am looking at my desktop, the screen size is way too small. I can still do things but I would like the screen size to be bigger. I am guessing it is about 800 x 600 size.

Anyway to change the screen size? Would I look in that config file?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:49 pm 

Its been quite sometime since I played around with WHSv1 Remote Access so I had to take a look to see the smaller window you were reporting. I believe Remote Desktop's default window size is 800x600 but when using it normally you can change the display size. How the display is set by WHSv1 in the way it utilizes Remote Desktop may be hard coded and tailored for the Console Viewing WIndow which by default is not a very large Window when it opens up. Since the modification to the file was related to the console window and not a standard Remote Desktop Connection that might explain why the window is small in that WHS was intended to load the Console but instead the Desktop loaded inside what the console window.

There is a round about way to get into your server and it should work better. Install Teamviewer on the server and on the computer you want to make the connection with. Then use teamviewer to connect to the server. Heck the server doesn't even need to be setup for Remote Access to do it or you could setup it up on a client that may be left on and connect through the client to your server. Often when my sister has a problem with her computer or server I will use Teamviewr to make the connection but in her case I connect through her notebook so that she can watch what I am doing so that she can learn. I use to use LogMeIn but they went to a paid model and I could never get them to tell me how many client I could connect to or have on my account and they take way to long to respond. In the process I became frustrated with them and just changed to Team Viewer which works really well.

The server I built for work doesn't have RemoteWebAccess or RWA configured so I installed TeamViewer on it so that I could connect to it if there is a problem I need to work on. Now that's a WHS2011 server so its not WHSv1 but if your a bit nervous in loading Teamviewer onto WHSv1 let me know and I will be more then happy to install it on one of my servers. Oh hell I will just do it anyway and come back to let you know how it works out.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:08 pm 

Go for it. Setup TeamViewer on a client first and setup an account with them then install the software on your server. When you make the initial connection the screen side will be smaller but you can adjust the screen size within your TeamViwer Screen in Menu Bar on the top of your screen. Then you can play with it to see how you like it. Now before I did the test I did close out my RDC Session to see if it would work and it did. I also rebooted the server and once she came back online I was able to make a connection.

I think you will like TeamViewer a lot and its a quick and easy solution to your display issue and will provide you with another way to access your server. If you install it let me know how you like it. Oh yea your going to see a popup message every time you close out the session just close it out its just TeamViewer saying thank you for being honest. That or they are trying to make you feel guilty if you are using it for things other then personal use.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have tried TeamViewer and I like it to some degree. It's not my first choice but I was hoping to use the built in remote access on WHS. I think the whole remote access to WHS v1 stinks and should have been built with more options in mind. The Microsoft team didn't think that users are going to want a full blown version of remote access and be able to work on server stuff from outside the home. Maybe, remote access has improved in WHS 2011. Just a side note, Microsoft came out with WHS 2011 and it stinks that HP didn't come out with a Mediasmart server to fully be compatible with WHS 2011. Match hardware to software requirements. Yes, you can tweak a Mediasmart server to handle WHS 2011 but to me it is not the same. I know that other vendors like Acer came out with a server that can handle the WHS 2011 requirements. I think that is the reason that I stayed with WHS v1. For me hardware requirements match software requirements. It is like trying to get Windows 8 on an Optiplex 760 or an HP 8100 computer and make it work.

Anyways, I am babbling. Sorry. I will try Team Viewer and let you know how I do with it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:20 pm 

How did you make out with TeamViewer? Its been a couple days so I thought I would check.

As for RA in WHS now called RWA for Remote Web Access its pretty much the same concept with a few added things in WHS2011, and even WS2012, you get access to your shares, ability to upload and download, ability to connect to the clients and when you get on the server it connects you to the Dashboard which in WHS you call the console. However in WS2012 MS did make it very easy to setup up a VPN which for me is a pure joy to use. I know you can set one up for WHS but for some reason I just never did.

Unfortunately MS did a very poor job of marketing WHS and even the OEMs didn't really push it. Even today when I even mention WHS no one really knows what it is or what it can do. Remember Window ME not to many people remember it or now about it but more know about then WHS and WHS was under development a lot longer. I think more know about a NAS then a Server yet I use to have a NAS and replaced it with WHS and while I loved my NAS I loved the server way more so I never looked back and never missed having a NAS.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks