It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:13 pm 

Hello all,

Was wondering if you would assist me. I've talked to HP, and they seem to think either my pus or system board has failed. I can boot the machine up and even trigger recovery mode on the server(lights change color), but the recovery wizard can never find the server. And, now the server reboots on its own after a few seconds. I tried resetting the BIOS by pressing in the reset button and turning it on, while holding in the reset button, but that didn't work either. Originally I saw the server was on, but no hard drive lights. And, I couldn't RDP or console to it.

So, with that said, what do you think it is? If it is the PSU, is there a replacement? Same with the system board? If so, where can I find one? Or, should I just give up and find another solution to do the things this awesome server can do? What does everyone else do, for like backups of machines and such?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Tony Blaksley
tblaksley@cox.net

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:58 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Power supply, maybe and you can get a replacement on ebay KDM.
But before you go down that road This is what I would try after I powered it down:
1- Mark the bottom system drive so you know which one it is (that drive always has to be in that bottom bay).
2- Pull all 4 of the drives out.
3- Take a "known good empty" drive and put it into one of the trays and put it into that bottom bay.
4- Take the recovery cd and copy the contents in to a folder on the desktop of the PC you are using to recover it with.
5- Attach the server to that pc direct with a normal cat5 network cable.
6- Boot that pc up and tapping the F8 key pick safemode with networking.
7- Run the setup from the folder on the desktop (contents of the recovery cd)
8- When it tells you to power up the server and wait till the lights do red/blue/red/blue then press and release the tiny little button ( its two cycles of red/blue/red/blue press/release)
9- then see if it will find it.

Shout back if anything happens.....
If it comes down to it I have a spare EX-487 I would make ya a deal on so you would have spare parts, but try the above first...
Fingers crossed it might work and sometimes a prayer to the cyber gods helps.... :crazy:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:14 am 

Hi tblaksley,

If you remove all the drives from your EX487 and just turn it on it should boot into recovery mode and you should be able to see it on your router as a device starting with the name MININT followed by other things. If you do not see this then either the server is unable to boot off its internal USB SMI Area or you have a LAN Connectivity issue.

If the server is not connected to the router then try moving it close to the router and connect it to the router. If its already connected to the router try changing the network cable and or change the port the cable is connected to.

Basically you need to know if your server can connect to the network and if it can then what Guardian has written will be very useful if not then we need to determine if you have an issue with your Network Port on the server or if the SMI is not working.

As for holding in the status/recovery button for a long period of time its not something you really want to do. That button is only meant to be pressed in and released.

Also check the network port LEDs for activity you should see a solid green LED and a blinking amber LED when the port is functioning properly. If the amber LED is not blinking then you have to figure out if the NIC is bad or is it the result of something else like a bad cable or a faulty network port on a switch or router.

Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:21 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, I guess we lost him... That ex478 I have has a brand new power supply in it to.
:-k
Oh well, hope it worked out... More parts for you :-)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:45 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I think I posted this in the wrong place. Moving to ex49x hardware now...

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:34 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You would be correct, these servers are different. We would need to know which one to help.
Series 1 was the EX-470
Series 2 was the EX-47X
Series 3 was the EX-49X
Series 4 was the X510 (same hardware as ex-49X) and then the x-310 which runs a atom processor and has it's own software.
So yes, we need to be in the correct area. to get the correct information.
But that being said, the recovery/loading process is much the same for all of them....
:mss:

Thanks