It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:59 pm 

EX485 Can't access BIOS with home made VGA Cable

I had posted an earlier thread EX485 Can't access BIOS with USB keyboard J2 closed" never saw it approved for the masses....

Tonight I wanted to posted a different thread.

I have been trying in vain to access the BIOS on an EX485 which I had just installed 4 gig of memory and a new 750G HD. Completed a fresh install. I wanted change the BOIS PECI=1 to get ready to install a Q8200s. but no matter what I did i couldn't gain access with a USB keyboard to the BOIS and yes J2 is closed with Keyboard in lower USB slot in rear.

Now here's the not so fun part.................

I spent many hours thru this endeavor. Following the forum I made a VGA adapter only for the header on the EX485 because I got tired of moving the VOV cable from my EX470. The VGA cable worked flawlessly, I didn't have any trouble with the video to the monitor attached to the EX485. Because I had seen so many folks talk about the VOV, I was lucky enough to snag a VOV on ebay a while back I had it in another MSS

With the home-made VGA cable in the EX485 I couldn't access BIOS with USB keyboard. Just on a hunch I decided to pull the VOV made cable which has PS2 keyboard and mouse connections from my EX470 and move it to the EX485.

Much to my surprise the upon booting I press the delete key and Entered the BIOS on the EX485......

Okay big brains can someone tell me what this is about I have never read on the forums an issue like this..... I'm very curious to know this one.

Thanks in advance

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:20 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

This is an old post, but I'm having the same issue with my EX485. Unfortunately, I don't have a ps2/serial adapter board.
What is happening though is that even with the J2 jumper on, I can't access the BIOS with my keyboard (corded USB from Dell).
I see the screen just fine with my home built VGA adapter, but it's not doing me much good since I can't get to the BIOS.
Any ideas? Do I need to build a PS2 adapter for a keyboard now?

CFC

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:45 pm 

See if this helps: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13288&p=96821#p96821

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks