It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:01 am 
Founder
Founder

The Google TV appliance from Logitech is available for pre-order from Logitech's site and Amazon. I've read that is supports DLNA streaming so should work with our MediaSmart Servers, but I'm not sure what it supports. Is anybody planning to pick one of these up or have more details to share?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040QE98O/ref ... PDKIKX0DER
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:29 am 

Shocking news, I actually DID NOT pre-order this. First, I think this box needs to come in easily under $200. Second, I have no idea exactly what this would provide me that I don't get already, and based on the specs this box is not best suited for local content. I personally think online content is overrated and so is this concept that people are ready to pull the plug on their cable/sat provider.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:19 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

found this on Logitech's site

What media formats are supported on Logitech Media Player?

The Logitech Media Player supports many different file types, including:

Music: AAC (.aac), FLAC (.flac), MP3 (.mp3), OGG (.ogg),WMA (.wma)
Photos: JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), BMP (.bmp) PNG (.png), TIFF (.tiff)
Videos: WMV (VC-1) (.asf .wma .wmv), WMV (VC-1) + WMA (.asf .wma .wmv), WMV + WMA (.avi), Xvid (H-264) + AAC (.avi),
Xvid (H-264) + AAC (.mp4), Xvid (H-264) + AAC (.mt2s .mt2), Xvid (MPEG4part2) + AAC (.avi), Xvid (MPEG4part2) + MP3 (.avi)

NOTE: Some video formats will not work with the Logitech Media Player

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:24 am 

GTiceman wrote:
found this on Logitech's site

What media formats are supported on Logitech Media Player?

The Logitech Media Player supports many different file types, including:

Music: AAC (.aac), FLAC (.flac), MP3 (.mp3), OGG (.ogg),WMA (.wma)
Photos: JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), BMP (.bmp) PNG (.png), TIFF (.tiff)
Videos: WMV (VC-1) (.asf .wma .wmv), WMV (VC-1) + WMA (.asf .wma .wmv), WMV + WMA (.avi), Xvid (H-264) + AAC (.avi),
Xvid (H-264) + AAC (.mp4), Xvid (H-264) + AAC (.mt2s .mt2), Xvid (MPEG4part2) + AAC (.avi), Xvid (MPEG4part2) + MP3 (.avi)

NOTE: Some video formats will not work with the Logitech Media Player

Yeah, for me that is pretty weak. No mkv support (although this is some conflicting info on this as supposedly a rep said it will support mkvs). However, just because it supports mkvs it is what is in the mkv that matters. I don't see VOB so will this not play ripped DVDs? I see VC-1 and H264 but I don't see it specifically for m2ts (which would be BluRays).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:25 pm 

Being very much a newb, I am looking for a streaming device for my office TV. At the behest of a good friend i bought a PS3 for the family room which serves well, but I am disappointed in how finicky it is in the video formats it will play.
I still cannot find exactly how well this plays with a MSS, but in a side by side comparison with Roku, Boxee and a couple others the REVUE looked to me to the best hands down. And with the fact that it is now $99 at Best Buy, the first complaint is now useless.
So if I can find a way to get it to stream from my EX495 via my LAN, I am sold.

Just FYI, I am not that much of a geek so I prefer not having to rely on a mental library of "work-arounds".

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:35 pm 

richlars wrote:
Being very much a newb, I am looking for a streaming device for my office TV. At the behest of a good friend i bought a PS3 for the family room which serves well, but I am disappointed in how finicky it is in the video formats it will play.
I still cannot find exactly how well this plays with a MSS, but in a side by side comparison with Roku, Boxee and a couple others the REVUE looked to me to the best hands down. And with the fact that it is now $99 at Best Buy, the first complaint is now useless.

Just FYI, I am not that much of a geek so I prefer not having to rely on a mental library of "work-arounds".

The easiest way to answer this would be for you to list out what your needs are, what formats you want to play back, etc...

The Revue is severely limited when it comes to local content playback

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:07 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

richlars wrote:

Probably derailing this thread a bit, but as a PS3 user I'll just add:

I'm still considering phasing out my PS3 for a "dedicated streaming box" (i.e. Roku, Boxee, popcorn, ohManToManyChoices), but after I killed Twonky and installed PS3MediaServer on the MSS using the PS3 for streaming is now "it just works". PS3MS transcodes on the fly so now I can stream essentially "anything". MKV, MOV, it's all good. Totally eliminates the need to worry about what formats the PS3 supports as PS3MS knows what PS3 likes, and just transcodes anything that isn't compatible. Copy file to MSS, watch on PS3.

As for this Logitech box, as mentioned above, might have been interested if not for the list of supported formats. I do love watcing this consumer space though... Still waiting for the "clear choice" streaming box. :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:19 pm 

OmniWrench wrote:

Probably derailing this thread a bit, but as a PS3 user I'll just add:

I'm still considering phasing out my PS3 for a "dedicated streaming box" (i.e. Roku, Boxee, popcorn, ohManToManyChoices), but after I killed Twonky and installed PS3MediaServer on the MSS using the PS3 for streaming is now "it just works". PS3MS transcodes on the fly so now I can stream essentially "anything". MKV, MOV, it's all good. Totally eliminates the need to worry about what formats the PS3 supports as PS3MS knows what PS3 likes, and just transcodes anything that isn't compatible. Copy file to MSS, watch on PS3.

As for this Logitech box, as mentioned above, might have been interested if not for the list of supported formats. I do love watcing this consumer space though... Still waiting for the "clear choice" streaming box. :D

Yeah, that is great when you can find a workaround for a player you currently own instead of having to spend money on another. That is why it is important for richlars to give some thought about exactly what he wants. For example, does he want to bitstream HD Audio, does he want a nice jukebox/UI, small footprint, etc...

Thanks