It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:45 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Here's some metrics on what streaming speeds one can expect from the various network connection methods?

802.11g/54Mbps: 19-22 Mbps
SMB: ~25Mbps
NFS: ~33Mbps
HTTP: ~42Mbps (same clip peaks at 47Mbps)
USB HDD: ~ 42Mbps
USB DVDROM (8x): ~42Mbps
HDD: ~42Mbps

To stream 1080i/720p Video you need speeds of 18Mbps
To stream 1080p video, you need 20 Mbps or more

Although SMB *should* be enough for HD video, keep in mind that the speeds above are under ideal conditions and you may experience lower streaming speeds.

I don't have the reference that I got this from but I had saved this information at the time I was putting my PCH and MSS streaming solution together.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:02 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

To have Swisscenter support ISO, MKV, or whatever file extensions that the PCH supports, you have to make changes to the Simese web server application that is bundled with Swisscenter. Specifically, you have to make changes to the "capabilities.php" file. In my installationn on the MSS, that file is found under:

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Simese\Data\base"

You then add the file extensions that you wish the PCH to support. Once that's done, you need to perform a media search from within Swisscenter in order for the app to see your files following the changes.

I've attached a copy of my "capabilities.php" file for anyone's reference.

Attachments:
File comment: Change the "txt" extension to "php" in your environment. The forum doesn't allow php files to be uploaded.
capabilities.txt [11.77 KiB]
Downloaded 370 times

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:54 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

All4Fun,

I have installed NFS as you did on my MSS server side. What do I do on the PC-100 side ?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:03 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Diehard wrote:
All4Fun,

I have installed NFS as you did on my MSS server side. What do I do on the PC-100 side ?

From the PCH, mount a drive similar to what you would do for accessing SMB shares but using this syntax:

nfs://servername:/path (e.g. nfs://mss:/video or nfs://192.168.1.100:/video)

Please pay special attention to the colon following the server name/ip address. It's significant.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Thanks All4Fun
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:58 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Thanks for the posts!

You can also get access to the PCH hard drive with either your computer or the MSS via the network tab. If you have the same workgroup set up on all devices then the PCH will show up as one of the computers running. You can click on it and log in using

username nmt
password 1234

That will let you get access to the PCH shares

BTW, the PCH wakes itself to get access. Dont have to worry about it being on or not..

I do not think this anything to do with anything but it is something that I did that worked!

Attachments:
NMT.JPG
NMT.JPG [ 35.22 KiB | Viewed 8113 times ]
nmt2.jpg
nmt2.jpg [ 31.63 KiB | Viewed 8114 times ]
nmt3.jpg
nmt3.jpg [ 37.49 KiB | Viewed 8113 times ]
nmt4.jpg
nmt4.jpg [ 30.59 KiB | Viewed 8114 times ]

Thanks  
 Post subject: Another thing.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:26 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Guys,

On the PCH I already have access to the HPSERVER on the Media Source page. I added a shared directory on my PCH directly to the MSS Videos but there is no difference between it and the regular access via PVConnect. As long as the workgroup is the same, looks like everything ties together very well without needing to NFS anything.

That make sense? I mean NFS is just to access files right? MY PCH is able to see both my computer files (that I have shared) and the MSS files that I have shared. Is that from Samba maybe or NFS server or from FTP server? I donno much about these as I have never needed them before... Did turn them on in the PCH (needed to have a hard drive to do it tho).

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Another thing.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:24 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

John Pombrio wrote:
Guys,

On the PCH I already have access to the HPSERVER on the Media Source page. I added a shared directory on my PCH directly to the MSS Videos but there is no difference between it and the regular access via PVConnect. As long as the workgroup is the same, looks like everything ties together very well without needing to NFS anything.

That make sense? I mean NFS is just to access files right? MY PCH is able to see both my computer files (that I have shared) and the MSS files that I have shared. Is that from Samba maybe or NFS server or from FTP server? I donno much about these as I have never needed them before... Did turn them on in the PCH (needed to have a hard drive to do it tho).

NFS is only necessary if you are experiencing stuttering while watching media files. This is more particular to watching HD files which require more network bandwidth for streaming. You probably already saw my earlier posts of the comparison between NFS and SMB. NFS streams better.

If you're not experiencing any problems with SMB, then there's no need for you to setup NFS.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:47 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I set up the NFS file sharing on my popcorn. The icon shows up on the PCH-100 as a triangle of 3 small squares. When I look into the folder, my ISO's don't show up. I also setup the SMB format which shows up as a triangle of 3 LARGER squares. When I look into the folder, I DO see my ISO's.

I know from what is written here, NSF is a faster transfer rate, but what about what I am experiencing ?

Are there other similar issues to look out for ?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:05 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Just found out that a bunch of .avi files that I have do not play on the PS3 but work fine on the PCH.

No getting around it. The PCH just plays so much more than any other media receiver I have seen so far.

I just cannot recommend any other box out there for folks who have a diverse set of video media to play. Only my computer does better...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:33 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

John Pombrio wrote:
Just found out that a bunch of .avi files that I have do not play on the PS3 but work fine on the PCH.

No getting around it. The PCH just plays so much more than any other media receiver I have seen so far.

I just cannot recommend any other box out there for folks who have a diverse set of video media to play. Only my computer does better...

Agreed. Although a computer may be better if you're in the market for a computer just so that you watch a variety of video formats, a PCH for $179 U.S. is a nice "stop-gap" option as an alternative to a replacement PC.

I almost feel like a salesman for the PCH. What it lacks in style, it makes up for in functionality.

If only the PCH folks invests some time in developing a user interface similar to the Apple TV and it will undoubtedly have no competition. Not sure if this is possible with the limited firmware storage capacity on the PCH but it would sure be great.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:58 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Has anyone tried setting up the Moviejukebox on a MSS. I'd like to know if its doable.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:24 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I use GBPVR on my MSS. It works extremely well with the PCH. I haven't set up one of the movie jukeboxes, but I imagine they would work very well.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:18 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Coop1 wrote:
Has anyone tried setting up the Moviejukebox on a MSS. I'd like to know if its doable.

I haven't tried myself.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:21 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

dirkomatic wrote:
I use GBPVR on my MSS. It works extremely well with the PCH. I haven't set up one of the movie jukeboxes, but I imagine they would work very well.

What's your experience been like with GB-PVR? I'm looking at PVR software now between SageTV and GB-PVR and although the folks with GB-PVR have made efforts to integrate the PCH as a client, the software doesn't appear to be very approachable to me and to be truthful, downright intimidating.

I'm now exploring SageTV and it appears to be a lot more approachable.

Just wanted to get your impression since obviously you've been able to get things up and running with GB-PVR.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:35 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I really like GB-PVR. I didn't really have any painful issues getting it set up, but it does take a bit of networking and Linux knowledge.

The trickiest part was setting up NFS and figuring out the way those drives are referenced on the PCH. The guys on those forums are great, though.

I didn't try SageTV, but I was really impressed with the look and feel of GB-PVR, so I stopped there.

I don't use it for TV, but from what I gather, it is very impressive for that....

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next