It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:40 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
The Google web page talks about running a command to edit the library.xml file which is where i got lost. I instead used the YAMJ GUI. I set the video location to my MSS shared Drive. I select the network path option, enter in the IP Address of my PCH, and nothing happens (the add button stays disabled). I am assuming this is where things are falling apart. Any thoughts
Thanks.

When you run the plugin from myihome it automatically runs the command and creates the library.xml file. The YAMJ GUI does not work on the MSS. It's really very simple once you figure it out. You need to get the myihome guide which explains how to install and use YAMJ as a plugin with myihome. It's available on the PCH forum under the myihome subforum. If you can't find it; pm me with your email address and I'll email it to you. It's a pretty big (8.774 gb) .pdf file.

Last edited by cavediver on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:41 pm 

cavediver wrote:
You first need to install myihome on the MSS, then copy the moviejukebox folder to myihome under the plugin subfolder and add the mediainfo folder under the moviejukebox plugin subfolder. Just follow the instructions as written. It works. Everyting will be under c:\probram files\myihome. The final structure will look like c:\program files\myihome\plugin\moviejukebox\mediainfo. "moviejukebox" is YAMJ renamed.

Did you have to set anything on the PCH, I read something about having to add a Share on the PCH first?

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:47 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
Did you have to set anything on the PCH, I read something about having to add a Share on the PCH first?

No, the shares are already set up on the MSS. You will need to tell myihome where the video share is located (map the share in myihome) and under the plugin. Once you get it all installed and working, you can control it from the Advanced Admin Console addin. Setting up shares on the PCH is only for a samba share or nfs.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:00 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone,

I have to admit that while the YAMJ plugin interface looks cool on the TV screen its really quite a lot of work to maintain. You have to re-run the command every time you add a movie to the share and you will need to create .nfo files for some if not all movies, as mediainfo sometimes returns the wrong movie. Each movie has to be named with the exact name as the imdb database movie name or it sometimes returns the wrong movie. A lot of movies are remakes of older movies or have similar names. Sometimes the cover art that is added sucks. I spent a lot of time scanning blu-ray box cover art and editing them in photoshop, but decided it was too much work and have pretty much stopped using the YAMJ plugin because I can get to the movie I want to watch just as fast using the default myihome interface. Also, each time you add a movie and re-run the command in the plugin, if you want to access the movies through the YAMJ interface, you will need to re-boot the PCH before you can watch another movie because the PCH will freeze up. You don't have to do any of that if you just use the default myihome interface. You get a list of your movies on the screen and you can just scroll through them or use the search function and type in the first few letters of the movie name.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:14 pm 

cavediver wrote:
dbone,

I have to admit that while the YAMJ plugin interface looks cool on the TV screen its really quite a lot of work to maintain. You have to re-run the command every time you add a movie to the share and you will need to create .nfo files for some if not all movies, as mediainfo sometimes returns the wrong movie. Each movie has to be named with the exact name as the imdb database movie name or it sometimes returns the wrong movie. A lot of movies are remakes of older movies or have similar names. Sometimes the cover art that is added sucks. I spent a lot of time scanning blu-ray box cover art and editing them in photoshop, but decided it was too much work and have pretty much stopped using the YAMJ plugin because I can get to the movie I want to watch just as fast using the default myihome interface. Also, each time you add a movie and re-run the command in the plugin, if you want to access the movies through the YAMJ interface, you will need to re-boot the PCH before you can watch another movie because the PCH will freeze up. You don't have to do any of that if you just use the default myihome interface. You get a list of your movies on the screen and you can just scroll through them or use the search function and type in the first few letters of the movie name.

Very interesting. If that is the case I may just scrap using YAMJ and stick with Myihome. Funny enough, accessing my files via myihome is much quicker then accessing the ones on the PCH HDD. Do you find though that using myihome for a standard DVD, you have to click on the actual vob file to play the movie? Using the basic PCH interface for movies on the PCH HDD, if the movie was in the standard video_ts structure, the pCH would just play the movie and I would not have to choose what vob to use.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:27 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
Very interesting. If that is the case I may just scrap using YAMJ and stick with Myihome. Funny enough, accessing my files via myihome is much quicker then accessing the ones on the PCH HDD. Do you find though that using myihome for a standard DVD, you have to click on the actual vob file to play the movie? Using the basic PCH interface for movies on the PCH HDD, if the movie was in the standard video_ts structure, the pCH would just play the movie and I would not have to choose what vob to use.

I don't have any standard DVD's in my library. All of my movies are blu-ray .m2ts or .ts files. The PCH with myihome plays .m2ts or .ts files without any problems. I don't have any experience with vob files.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:46 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone,

If you decide to load the YAMJ plugin, the developers just released a newer version 1.0.14. You will probably want to install the latest version.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=13006&pid=110458#pid110458

I'm updating mine now. I'll see what it changes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:09 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

cavediver wrote:
dbone,

If you decide to load the YAMJ plugin, the developers just released a newer version 1.0.14. You will probably want to install the latest version.

I was using version 1.0.13 of YAMJ for the plugin before today. Version 1.0.14 used as a myihome plugin didn't really change much as far as I can tell.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:36 pm 

cavediver wrote:
cavediver wrote:
dbone,

I was using version 1.0.13 of YAMJ for the plugin before today. Version 1.0.14 used as a myihome plugin didn't really change much as far as I can tell.

Thanks. I don't know if I am going to proceed with the YAMJ plugin sinice you mentioned the maintenance can be fairly time consuming. My PCH is primarily set up for my son's movies. I wanted to try out the jukebox since I was thinking about getting a PCH for my mom (she lives with us) so she could access all my movies on t he MSS. Since I am continually adding new movies it sounds like it would just take up too much time. If I do proceed I will drop a post to let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:47 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If your mom is not tech savy, it would be a waste of time as it will be much easier for her to just use the default interface. She can just scroll through the list of movies in the video share and choose the one she wants to watch.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:32 pm 

OK, so I was able to get YAMJ up and running. Two issues I come across. The first is that when I go to the plug in on the PCH, the list of movies does not fit the screen properly, any thoughts on a way to correct this?

Second, the plugin does not play VOB files (I can get my mkv files to play fine). I have to imagine there is just some setting that I have to check off, because I can't believe the author would make a movie jukebox program that cannot play a basic dvd structure. I will dig around some more, see what I can find on this

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:33 pm 

cavediver wrote:
If your mom is not tech savy, it would be a waste of time as it will be much easier for her to just use the default interface. She can just scroll through the list of movies in the video share and choose the one she wants to watch.

Actually, I think I would lean towards getting her the SageTV Extender, which is a lot more user friendly. I already have the fanart set up for that on my HTPC, not sure if you can use fanart on the PCH

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:18 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
OK, so I was able to get YAMJ up and running. Two issues I come across. The first is that when I go to the plug in on the PCH, the list of movies does not fit the screen properly, any thoughts on a way to correct this?

Second, the plugin does not play VOB files (I can get my mkv files to play fine). I have to imagine there is just some setting that I have to check off, because I can't believe the author would make a movie jukebox program that cannot play a basic dvd structure. I will dig around some more, see what I can find on this

You should probably take these questions to the YAMJ thread on the PCH forum. There are lot more people with a lot more experience with these products over there. Good luck.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:39 pm 

cavediver wrote:
dbone1026 wrote:

You should probably take these questions to the YAMJ thread on the PCH forum. There are lot more people with a lot more experience with these products over there. Good luck.

OK, so from digging around it appears that streaming via HTTP (i.e. myiMovie) does not support dvd structure (vob). You can play a vob with myiMovie but you have to select the actual vob file. With YAMJ for vobs it just hangs. So since half of my movie collection is straight dvd rips, the myiMovie/YAMJ solution is pointless. I don't know what options are out there (if there are any) for jukebox players using alternative streaming methods. There is My Lil Movie Jukebox, but that requires you to have all your movies saved to an internal HDD of the PCH, which defeats the purpose of using the MSS to serve.

EDIT: I wrote incorrectly, you can use My Lil Movie Jukebox via streaming, you just need an internal HDD for your PCH to store the index files. Only issue with this program is movie collector is not a free program

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:05 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
OK, so from digging around it appears that streaming via HTTP (i.e. myiMovie) does not support dvd structure (vob). You can play a vob with myiMovie but you have to select the actual vob file. With YAMJ for vobs it just hangs. So since half of my movie collection is straight dvd rips, the myiMovie/YAMJ solution is pointless. I don't know what options are out there (if there are any) for jukebox players using alternative streaming methods. There is My Lil Movie Jukebox, but that requires you to have all your movies saved to an internal HDD of the PCH, which defeats the purpose of using the MSS to serve.

EDIT: I wrote incorrectly, you can use My Lil Movie Jukebox via streaming, you just need an internal HDD for your PCH to store the index files. Only issue with this program is movie collector is not a free program

I just received my iStar HD today (it is another Networked Media Tank).

You actually can use YAMJ for what you want. In the Libraries XML file, you can configure certain file extensions to use SMB or NFS, and others to use HTTP. SMB and NFS support DVD iso's.

The link below shows an example using Llink (which is another HTTP streamer)
http://code.google.com/p/moviejukebox/w ... With_LLink

Llink appears to be becoming popular because it allows you to navigate BluRay iso's (though not mount them).

I'd recommend going with SMB for DVD iso's. You don't have to configure anything on the MSS side of things, and at this point, is every bit as fast (if not faster) then NFS.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next