It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:55 pm 

John Pombrio wrote:
DBone, gotta laugh! Yep, ripbot may work fine once I get used to it but a one button push rip of BD disks it ain't! I will give it a try though, you have always had good advice!

Yeah, unfortunately there is no holy grail quite yet. I have tried methods that required 5 different steps with 4 different programs, etc...Ripbot is prob the best and easiest program I have come across. Fortunately I got through my collection of Blu Ray/HD Dvds, only took 2 months!!! My favorite parts were when I had 5 minutes left of the 10 hour process and my son would hit the power button on the PC!!!

Richard - keep in mind though that the time is all dependant on the settings you choose (aside from your pc of course). You could create a good quality mp4/mkv using CQ which would probably encode in just a few hours (with Constant Quality though the file size could be unpredictable)

Here are a couple screen shots

Attachments:
File comment: Details of movie file selected
RipBot1.jpg
RipBot1.jpg [ 48.63 KiB | Viewed 9691 times ]
File comment: Blu Ray/mkv settings
Ripbot2.jpg
Ripbot2.jpg [ 47.51 KiB | Viewed 9693 times ]
File comment: Set Auto Crop and resize if desired
Ripbot3.jpg
Ripbot3.jpg [ 37.64 KiB | Viewed 9686 times ]
File comment: Run encode, enable "PC Shutdown" and "Low Priority" if you will be using pc while encoding
RipBot4.jpg
RipBot4.jpg [ 25.23 KiB | Viewed 9688 times ]

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:08 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Damian,

I'm laughing to myself because I don't remember seeing that first "select streams" dialog box. Everything else I selected according to your screenshots. I just hope that I didn't waste 17 hours on a poor conversion. :oops:

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:00 pm 

All4Fun wrote:
Damian,

I'm laughing to myself because I don't remember seeing that first "select streams" dialog box. Everything else I selected according to your screenshots. I just hope that I didn't waste 17 hours on a poor conversion. :oops:

Sorry, I left out the first few steps...

This is the main start up screen, just click "add"
Attachment:
File comment: This is the startup screen, just select "Add"
Ripbot5.jpg
Ripbot5.jpg [ 24.82 KiB | Viewed 9661 times ]

This next screen pops up, under "Video" select "..." to choose the source
Attachment:
File comment: After selecting add, this screen pops up. Select the "..." next to video to choose the source
Ripbot6.jpg
Ripbot6.jpg [ 40.03 KiB | Viewed 9659 times ]

After selecting "..." just navigate to the folder where the movie file you want to convert is. Don't worry about which file(s) is the actual movie, you can select any file and Ripbot will determine the correct one(s). After selecting a file, that is when that "Select Streams" popup will appear. Once you click OK on that, Ribpot will demux the audio and video (should take about 20-30 minutes depending on movie size). When it is done, then you should be able to adjust all the settings on the "Encode Settings" popup
Attachment:
File comment: navigate to folder where files are (for Blu Ray it would be the stream folder). Choose any file, Ripbot will determine the correct one(s)
RIpbot7.jpg
RIpbot7.jpg [ 59.48 KiB | Viewed 9659 times ]

Also, just to mention, if you want to autocrop, that option is at the "Proprerties" button next to kbps. Let me know if you run into any problems. Once you use it once or twice it is a breeze to get through, I just emply the set it and forget it approach...or is that when i cook my rotisserie chicken....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:37 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I'm guessing that I didn't get that "select source" dialog box because I had already copied the correct .m2ts file to a folder on my hard drive using AnyDVD by the time I started to use RipBot.

Well, I'll see eventually. 3 hrs. and 49 minutes to go.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:38 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

After many hours and pulling all of my hair out trying to figure out how to rip Blu-ray movies for streaming from the MSS to my Popcorn Hour ("PH"), I finally figured it out. It's actually quite simple. I know this works with my A/V equipment, but I don't know how it will work for other stuff. All of my A/V devices are HDMI 1.3 (Integra 9.8 Pre/pro, Sony KDS60A3000 TV & PH). The PH is connected to the 9.8 via HDMI and the 9.8 to the TV via HDMI. The PH is connected to my home network via wired gigabit ethernet. The PH sees every device and computer on the network including my MSS. The PH sees two versions of my MSS; 1) XXXSERVER: Windows Media Connect; and 2) XXXSERVER shares. The BD videos will only play via the XXXSERVER shares. It will not play videos via Windows Media Connect.

Keep in mind, that I'm not interesed in downloading / file sharing, etc. I just want to rip and stream my own collection of Blu-rays and HD DVDs. I haven't ripped any HD DVD's yet, only Blu-rays.

What I did. Thank you to Jeff Flowerday for your ripping suggestions which gave me a good start down the ripping road. I spent many hours reading and researching on the dvd ripping forums (doom9 being the best). I downloaded eac3to, tsremux, tsMuxer, BDInfo v.0.4.1, & several other freeware softwares, (some of which I haven't needed to use). I already had AnyDVD HD which I purchased quite some time ago, but hadn't used it other than keeping it updated with each new update. All of this ripping stuff is quite confusing, expecially for someone like me who is not a software programer. All of the command line stuff was driving me crazy. It took me several hours to figure out how to do the basic first command in eac3to which just tells me which file is the main movie file. Anyway, it all starts with a rip to hard drive in AnyDVD HD. I was running eac3to; then based on information on the forums, I was using tsMuxer to create the m2ts file. I did three Blu-ray movies with DTS HD Master Audio using txMuxer to create the m2ts file and they played just fine on the PH. I then tried a movie (Iron Man) with Dolby TrueHD. I spent many hours and several softwares trying to get a file that would play the TrueHD audio, but nothing worked. During this time I discovered BDInfo v.0.4.1. which is a very simple GUI program that shows the same basic file structure info provided by eac3to, but its much easier to use and doesn't require the use of the command line. I went to bed last night very frustated with the TrueHD problem.

As is often the case, after a good night's sleep, I wake up with a clear head and with fresh insite, and can usually figure out a problem. As I was laying in bed this morning contemplating my day, the thought came to me to just copy the raw m2ts main movie file from the AnyDVD HD rip to the MSS share. So I ran the Iron Man folder in BDInfo to locate the main m2ts movie file. (I already knew which one it was from yesterday's trials and errors), but I ran it again anyway. I then copied that main m2ts file from the AnyDVD HD rip, (which btw is 32,659,122 kb in size [32.6 gb]) from my main pc to the MSS. It took about 20 minutes to copy the file from the pc to the MSS. I then renamed the file from its raw file name to "Iron Man.m2ts".

I then went to the living room and fired up the PH, navigated to the video shares, chose Iron Man from the list and it worked, Dolby TrueHD displayed on the 9.8 and the movie played in all of its 1080p and lossless audio glory. I've now ripped several movies each with different audio tracks, (DTS HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and uncompressed PCM). Each works perfect on the PH and defaults to the lossless English track. (I set the PH to English and set each audio type to digital raw, which bitstreams the audio to the 9.8 for decoding in the 9.8. I also set the display resolution to 1080p 23.976 fps). This only works if your receiver or pre/pro will decode lossless audio tracks bitstreamed to the receiver or pre/pro via HDMI and your tv or pj will accept 1080p 23.976 fps. You will need to set the display resolution to whatever your display will accept.

So to recap the procedure I used:
1. Rip the movie to HDD with AnyDVD HD.
2. Run the main movie folder in BDinfo to determine the main raw m2ts movie file.
3. Copy the main raw m2ts movie file (which will be located under the BDMV subfolder "Steam" to the MSS video share and rename it to the name of the movie, (no decoding, muxing or remuxing needed).
4. Navigate the the video shares on the PH menu and press go or enter or whatever depending on your remote.
4. Enjoy the movie on your entertainment system with friends, family and a margarita.

Last edited by cavediver on Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:09 pm 

cavediver wrote:
After many hours and pulling all of my hair out trying to figure out how to rip Blu-ray movies for streaming from the MSS to my Popcorn Hour ("PH"), I finally figured it out. It's actually quite simple. I know this works with my A/V equipment, but I don't know how it will work for other stuff. All of my A/V devices are HDMI 1.3 (Integra 9.8 Pre/pro, Sony KDS60A3000 TV & PH). The PH is connected to the 9.8 via HDMI and the 9.8 to the TV via HDMI. The PH is connected to my home network via wired gigabit ethernet. The PH sees every device and computer on the network including my MSS. The PH sees two versions of my MSS; 1) XXXSERVER: Windows Media Connect; and 2) XXXSERVER shares. The BD videos will only play via the XXXSERVER shares. It will not play videos via Windows Media Connect.

Keep in mind, that I'm not interesed in downloading / file sharing, etc. I just want to rip and stream my own collection of Blu-rays and HD DVDs. I haven't ripped any HD DVD's yet, only Blu-rays.

What I did. Thank you to Jeff Flowerday for your ripping suggestions which gave me a good start down the ripping road. I spent many hours reading and researching on the dvd ripping forums (doom9 being the best). I downloaded eac3to, tsremux, tsMuxer, BDInfo v.0.4.1, & several other freeware softwares, (some of which I haven't needed to use). I already had AnyDVD HD which I purchased quite some time ago, but hadn't used it other than keeping it updated with each new update. All of this ripping stuff is quite confusing, expecially for someone like me who is not a software programer. All of the command line stuff was driving me crazy. It took me several hours to figure out how to do the basic first command in eac3to which just tells me which file is the main movie file. Anyway, it all starts with a rip to hard drive in AnyDVD HD. I was running eac3to; then based on information on the forums, I was using tsMuxer to create the m2ts file. I did three Blu-ray movies with DTS HD Master Audio using txMuxer to create the m2ts file and they played just fine on the PH. I then tried a movie (Iron Man) with Dolby TrueHD. I spent many hours and several softwares trying to get a file that would play the TrueHD audio, but nothing worked. During this time I discovered BDInfo v.0.4.1. which is a very simple GUI program that shows the same basic file structure info provided by eac3to, but its much easier to use and doesn't require the use of the command line. I went to bed last night very frustated with the TrueHD problem.

As of often the case, after a good night's sleep, I wake up with a clear head and with fresh insite, and can usually figure out a problem. As I was laying in bed this morning contemplating my day, the thought came to me to just copy the raw m2ts main movie file from the AnyDVD HD rip to the MSS share. So I ran the Iron Man folder in BDInfo to locate the main m2ts movie file. (I already knew which one it was from yesterday's trials and errors), but I ran it again anyway. I then copied that main m2ts file from the AnyDVD HD rip, (which btw is 32,659,122 kb in size [32.6 gb]) from my main pc to the MSS. It took about 20 minutes to copy the file from the pc to the MSS. I then renamed the file from its raw file name to "Iron Man.m2ts".

I then went to the living room and fired up the PH, navigated to the video shares, chose Iron Man from the list and it worked, Dolby TrueHD displayed on the 9.8 and the movie played in all of its 1080p and lossless audio glory. I've now ripped several movies each with different audio tracks, (DTS HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and uncompressed PCM). Each works perfect on the PH and defaults to the lossless English track. (I set the PH to English and set each audio type to digital raw, which bitstreams the audio to the 9.8 for decoding in the 9.8. I also set the display resolution to 1080p 23.976 fps). This only works if your receiver or pre/pro will decode lossless audio tracks bitstreamed to the receiver or pre/pro via HDMI and your tv or pj will accept 1080p 23.976 fps. You will need to set the display resolution to whatever your display will accept.

So to recap the procedure I used:
1. Rip the movie to HDD with AnyDVD HD.
2. Run the main movie folder in BDinfo to determine the main raw m2ts movie file.
3. Copy the main raw m2ts movie file (which will be located under the BDMV subfolder "Steam" to the MSS video share and rename it to the name of the movie, (no decoding, muxing or remuxing needed).
4. Navigate the the video shares on the PH menu and press go or enter or whatever depending on your remote.
4. Enjoy the movie on your entertainment system with friends, family and a margarita.

That sounds great. Do you plan on deleting the raw m2ts file after watching? The only reason I don't do this is because even though larger drives keep coming out the raw file does take up a considerable amount of space. To put in perspective, you could probably get only about 30 raw m2ts on a 1TB drive (and this is not even considering backing up, etc...). Also, I don't know if you have run into this yet, but not all Blu Rays have just one m2ts for the main movie. I have run into several movies where they break up the m2ts into many smaller files (similar to vobs). I don't know if there is an m2ts merge program (similar to VOBMerger) out there. For HD DVDs, they are usually two EVO files. Ripbot actually figures out which files make up the main movie if you run into this problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:26 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Because they each take anywhere from 1 - 2 or so hours to make, I'm going to keep the raw rips. I bought a Sans Digital TR4U today from Fry's (on sale for $129.99), to to attach to my main pc to use as my ripping drive. I only had one extra 1 tb drive laying around so I used that to start. I figure that I'll fill that 1 tb drive up and keep adding drives as I need them. I bought a Sans Digital TR4M-B from Fry's yesterday (on sale for $149.00) for the MSS and ordered 2 - 1.5 tb drives from Newegg. I've now got less than 1 tb left on my MSS and its filling up fast with these movie files. So my plan is to keep the AnyDVD HD rips, copy the main movie m2ts files to the video share on the MSS with file duplication turned on and I'll have the original disks as additional back-up. I'll turn off backups for the TR4U attached to the main pc.

I know some of the disks have multiple files as the main movie file and I'll cross that bridge when I get one. I've got enough movies to keep me busy for quite some time. If I encounter one with multiple main movie files, I'll just set it aside for another day.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:23 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Boy, If it were so simple <sigh>. It REALLY depends on the movie, trust me. Some movies (my National Treasure 2 for instance) worked perfectly with the one file. Spiderman 3 played flawlessly in FRENCH. About half of the movies ran with the sound completely screwed up or missing (Jumper- no sound).
Getting the main movie may or MAY NOT be on one file. Some mix and match, some have two or three parts. Some really try to mess with your head and make you really work for it.
THEN there is trying to figure out which is the main audio source track and to get it to play. The hours I have spent on this...

I will check out BDInfo to see if it helps, but be prepared for disappointment on your next rip of a BD movie.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:04 am 

All4Fun wrote:
To have Swisscenter support ISO, MKV, or whatever file extensions that the PCH supports, you have to make changes to the Simese web server application that is bundled with Swisscenter. Specifically, you have to make changes to the "capabilities.php" file. In my installationn on the MSS, that file is found under:

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Simese\Data\base"

You then add the file extensions that you wish the PCH to support. Once that's done, you need to perform a media search from within Swisscenter in order for the app to see your files following the changes.

I've attached a copy of my "capabilities.php" file for anyone's reference.

Hi, Great guide. But when I try playing a ISO-file in video-mode I get "could not play". How can I solve this?

Thanx in advance

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:40 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

nosslo77 wrote:
All4Fun wrote:
To have Swisscenter support ISO, MKV, or whatever file extensions that the PCH supports, you have to make changes to the Simese web server application that is bundled with Swisscenter. Specifically, you have to make changes to the "capabilities.php" file. In my installationn on the MSS, that file is found under:

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Simese\Data\base"

You then add the file extensions that you wish the PCH to support. Once that's done, you need to perform a media search from within Swisscenter in order for the app to see your files following the changes.

I've attached a copy of my "capabilities.php" file for anyone's reference.

Hi, Great guide. But when I try playing a ISO-file in video-mode I get "could not play". How can I solve this?

Thanx in advance

Hi nosslo77. Welcome to the community!!!

I'm not ignoring your post but I don't have an answer to your question. Admittedly, I haven't been using Swisscenter for quite some time. Have you tried playing the "DVD" ISO with the PCH outside of Swisscenter? With the DVD iso's that I've played now, I've done it outside of Swisscenter with the native PCH firmware.

Also, just so we are on the same page, this would work only for DVD iso's. Blu-ray and HD-DVD iso's will not work with the PCH (at least not yet).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:06 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hey Cavediver.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with ripping/playing blu-ray discs with the PCH. Nothwithstanding the other potential issues you may face with multiple .m2ts files, etc., a large part to your success with ripping the single .m2ts file is that you have a receiver (a nice one at that) that will decode the HD audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and/or DTS Master Audio and an upgraded PCH A-110. You've invested in good equipment thus you've avoided some of the hurdles that you may otherwise have faced.

Just to point out to those with a PCH A-100, it does not support bitstreaming the HD audio formats of DD TrueHD and DTS-MA because it doesn't support HDMI 1.3a. You will need to use LPCM instead of "raw" for HD audio formats. For those of us who are still using receivers that don't support TrueHD or DTS-MA, you would need to make that change, otherwise, you won't get audio.

Ripping blu-ray discs are still in its infancy. It was only a few short months ago that AnyDVD was able to crack it. Progress has been very good to date. As "pioneers" and early adopters, we will continue to struggle with this. My impression is that within the year, these issues will be ironed out and there may even be a "ripbot" like application that will do everything from A-Z. From Damian's posts about Ripbot, it already appears that we're getting close to that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:35 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

cavediver, your system will work fine until you encounter a seamless branching situation. You can't simply append the files togethor.

The other issue you might encounter is throughput, if the movie contains 7.1 LPCM and a bunch of other sound tracks or a secondary 480p video track, you be pushing the limits of throughput. Stutter and audio drop outs aren't fun.

I've experienced the above with just video and a single LPCM and AC3 track using SMB sharing, only http streaming is capable of handling the throughput in my situation.

I'm 75 movies into my ripping project and all is working well. I'm hoping the PS3 will get VC1 support in m2ts containers soon and if so it will handle the format(s) I've chosen as well. Right now it does work with the h264 and mpeg2 encoded movies.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:57 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I encountered my first movie with 2-m2ts files. BDInfo and eac3to both indicated that there were 2-m2ts files for iRobot, but one was only .01 seconds long. I used tsMuxer to create the m2ts file as it showed both m2ts files when I loaded the playlist file. I copied both the tsMuxer version and the raw version to the video share and have played the first 10 minutes of each file and both seem to play fine at the beginning. I don't know what the second m2ts file contained, but I guess I'll have to watch both versions all the way through to find out if there is a difference.

I've also encountered an issue with the subtitles on Pan's Labyrinth. I can't get them to display at all. The movie and the DTS-HD Master Audio track plays perfectly, but I can't get the English subtitles to work. It may be a problem with the PH not being able to read the BD PGS files included in the raw m2ts file. Any ideas?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:10 am 

Is anyone using their PCH with a HDD, or just solely streaming? I have the A-110 and was thinking about getting a WD GP 1TB (seeing for about $119 now) drive to load up all my son's movies on for his playroom. I wanted to keep the PCH unplugged from the Internet and my network so I can limit what my son can access to only the movies on the PCH. Any issues with an internal HDD, does the PCH run hot, is the WD GP drive good enough? Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:39 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I put a drive in mine, but I haven't done anything yet other than format it and install the apps. I basically plan to use it just for the HTML for the one of the jukebox programs so it has a nicer UI, so I got a 120GB laptop drive. My A-110 doesn;t seem to run all that hot - they changed the heatsink from the A-100, so a GP drive, which also runs relatively cool, should be fine.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next