It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:53 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

GGKoul wrote:
Just too confirm.. I need to follow these instructions to add NFS to my MSS correct?

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showt ... p?tid=1434

There seems to be some confusion. You will need to install NFS on the MSS if you wish to access your media from the MSS. This will make the MSS act as an NFS "server'.

The PCH can then act as an NFS "client" to access the MSS shares using NFS.

Follow the NFS syntax earlier in this thread to access the MSS from the PCH.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:37 pm 

I have tried all of the suggestions in this thread and the similar threads on the NMT forum, and I still cannot seem to get the Popcorn hour to actually see any of the media files. I get the screen with the 4 icons but when I click on one, say the movie reel, I get a "No media found" error.

Any additional suggestions would be great.

I have:
-verified the NFS server is runnning
-the link I am using is "nfs://ipaddress:/shares"
-I added the guest user to the shares folder security
-I added the ports to the windows firewall, I even briefly turned the firewall off to test, but no go

Thank you,
Eric

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:48 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

update the firmware in your PCH and you can uninstall the NFS service. Check the release notes @ network media tanks site

among the many improvements it also includes
Quote:
Improved bitrate throughput of playback over SMB to ~38Mbps, up from ~25Mbps. Same as NFS performance now.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:37 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Coop1 wrote:
update the firmware in your PCH and you can uninstall the NFS service. Check the release notes @ network media tanks site

among the many improvements it also includes
Quote:
Improved bitrate throughput of playback over SMB to ~38Mbps, up from ~25Mbps. Same as NFS performance now.

Good catch Coop1. This should take out the complexities of installing NFS and another thing that could break.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:23 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Darn it guys, I am getting addicted to the damn PCH and its all your fault! Spend some time ripping my boxed set of TV shows and then just stream away my life... I kept saying that it was easier to slide in the DVD. I was wrong, wrong, wrong...
Well, I have been accused of being a pusher of the PCH to all of your innocent minds out there, so in fairness I will list the things I don't like!
1. The FF and rewind are pretty honky. The box just sits there for a while and thinks about it before actually doing something. FF is great, rewind sucks.
2. Once I hit the dreaded stop button, there is no going back to Kansas. I have to start all over again using FF.
3. When I have left the PCH pointing towards my computer shares, say, then turn on the PCH when my computer is hibernating, the box take forever to time out. But it is good practice for my button pushing techniques 'cause I just know that some combo will work.

Of course, with the constant tweaking that the excellent PCH team does, they may be gone after I finish this latest update...

That is about it. Wakes up fast, runs smooth as silk, quiet, portable (I just set up a DVI cable and an extra power supply to my other flat screen. Takes seconds to move it, a little longer if I am using the MSS and have to plug in the Lan cable). It is push button goodness once the files are all lined up..

Err, but I hate the box. Truly. That's now fair, isn't it?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:48 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

John Pombrio wrote:
Darn it guys, I am getting addicted to the damn PCH and its all your fault! Spend some time ripping my boxed set of TV shows and then just stream away my life... I kept saying that it was easier to slide in the DVD. I was wrong, wrong, wrong...
Well, I have been accused of being a pusher of the PCH to all of your innocent minds out there, so in fairness I will list the things I don't like!
1. The FF and rewind are pretty honky. The box just sits there for a while and thinks about it before actually doing something. FF is great, rewind sucks.
2. Once I hit the dreaded stop button, there is no going back to Kansas. I have to start all over again using FF.
3. When I have left the PCH pointing towards my computer shares, say, then turn on the PCH when my computer is hibernating, the box take forever to time out. But it is good practice for my button pushing techniques 'cause I just know that some combo will work.

Of course, with the constant tweaking that the excellent PCH team does, they may be gone after I finish this latest update...

That is about it. Wakes up fast, runs smooth as silk, quiet, portable (I just set up a DVI cable and an extra power supply to my other flat screen. Takes seconds to move it, a little longer if I am using the MSS and have to plug in the Lan cable). It is push button goodness once the files are all lined up..

Err, but I hate the box. Truly. That's now fair, isn't it?

John Pombrio, I concur with your points 1 and 2 above. It's actually something that discourages the rest of my family from using the PCH - especially my youngest who likes to RW constantly when she views a good part in her show/movie.

I tend to watch "Cranky Geeks" and "DL.TV" via the Web Services portal on the PCH (another plus to the PCH) and it's one of those UI features that annoys me as well where I can't RW AT ALL and prevents the PCH from getting to the next level on par with the Apple TV from a usability standpoint.

As for your point 3 above, you can avoid that issue by centralizing your media to the MSS allowing your PC to hibernate or shutdown entirely and having your PCH access its media from there.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:23 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Does anybody have an A-110 yet? I'd like to know from happy users if the new version is any better at some of the known problems.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:25 am 

I am still on backorder, and from what i can tell on the website it appears the first batch should be shipping this week or next

Thanks  
 Post subject: Some replies..
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:06 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Yep, I use both the MSS and the hard drive on the PCH but sometimes I am too lazy to move the rip immediately over and just use my computer. Only had this once where it pointed to a box that was not on, but now I have the habit of homing the PCH before turning it off.

From the forums, the A110 uses the same processor and firmware as the regular PCH. All reviews and the forum points to the A110 as more of a few tweaks in hardware rather than a full rebuild.

SATA, optical port, and HDMI 1.3 are really the only changes in the box as far as I have read.

Oh, another thing I noticed after the firmware update last night (thanks for pointing it out guys!) is that there is now a network icon in the list. I was able to pull stuff from my sons computer now too. That gives me access to what, 4 terabytes of hard drive space? Heh, I need MORE, MORE!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:07 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi John,

If you want to speed up things set your ripped folder destination to your shared folder on the server, I do it all the time and never had any problems.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:31 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Coop1 wrote:
Hi John,

If you want to speed up things set your ripped folder destination to your shared folder on the server, I do it all the time and never had any problems.

Good idea! Old dogs, new tricks...

Thanks  
 Post subject: cannot do all BD rips..
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:55 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I am having trouble with the PCH A100 playing sound with some Blu-Ray movie rips. I think it has to do with BD version 1 vs. 1.3 ....
So far, I CANNOT recommend the PCH for Blu-Ray watching!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:53 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

DTS-HD is not supported yet, you'll have to encode a straight BD rip into something else for it to work, if it has DTS-HD or the other HD audio, forget what it's called. There's a bunch of messages in the PCH forums about it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:05 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

John Pombrio wrote:
I am having trouble with the PCH A100 playing sound with some Blu-Ray movie rips. I think it has to do with BD version 1 vs. 1.3 ....
So far, I CANNOT recommend the PCH for Blu-Ray watching!

Really and truly, why would you want to rip a 40 GB Blu-ray movie anyway and stream it? Even though disk space is cheap, would it not be easier to put the BD disk in your BD player?

If you are ripping BD, I would think it would make more sense to covert the video to x.264 with AAC/AC3 audio to reduce the size to about half, put it in a MKV container, and watch it on the PCH that way and saving disk space along the way for comparable quality.

With the exception of a BD player or HTPC with PowerDVD, there's no other device that can stream BD reliably yet. I wouldn't consider that a strike against the PCH. If anything, the likelihood of future support is pretty good with the way that Syabas is trending.

So what if the PCH can't stream BD rips. I really wonder how many people are ripping 40GB of BD files to then stream that structure when there are other ways to stream that same high definition video/audio at very comparable quality with less space used.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:36 pm 

Agreed, I encode my Blu Rays to mkvs (limit file size to 8150GB). This saves a lot of HDD space (I have a spare 500GB HDD in my PC that I use solely to save my Blu Ray rips, but then delete once encoding is complete) and I really see very little difference in quality. I am just about finished storing all my Blu Rays to mkv on my PC, only down side is it takes about 10 hours to do (let it run overnight).

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next