It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:01 pm 

This thread has been dead for a while, but what the heck, thought I would post here.

Syabas Technology will hopefully be announcing new specs for the next PCH on 15-Jun (http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showt ... 021&page=6). Originally the date was 31-May but got pushed back. Curious what they have in store for the PCH, is it just a minor upgrade w/ latest sigma chip or something more significant???

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:04 am 

PCH C200 Just announced:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showt ... ?tid=23731

Looks sharp, definitely a step up from the A110. Also, it appears there will be supoprt to add a Blu Ray Rom Drive. I have heard price floated around at USD 350ish...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:39 am 

I tried to do a quick summary of some points I read about on the networkedmediatank site:

http://dbone1026.blogspot.com/2009/06/p ... ow-up.html

So are you guys interested in something like this? I think the integration of the Blu Ray player will be the biggest thing I would keep an eye on. I currently use the PS3 as my Blu Ray Player but it is an absolute energy hog ( i think I have read if you leave it in standby mode all year it will consume the same amount of energy as a refridgerator) and sounds like a 747 if it does not get ventilation. Since I don't play many games on the PS3 (much prefer the Xbox360 for that) the C200 looks like it could be a great alternative. Of course any improvements to the stock GUI I would also be looking for as well.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:27 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
So are you guys interested in something like this? I think the integration of the Blu Ray player will be the biggest thing I would keep an eye on.

It's a huge step forward, but if and only if they will support blu-ray ISO playback streamed over the network like they do for DVD ISOs. Otherwise, I can build a full HTPC for about the same price (assuming it's ~$350) so the value prop of the PCH goes down significantly.

I get that it's still dead simple, single-purpose, but I want a media streamer, not a media player. That means I want it to stream from other parts of my house so I don't have to fuss with discs any more.

I'm also very happy about the gigabit NIC. That's a step up and makes playing blu-ray ISOs over the LAN even more feasible.

My $.02.

--kurt

[EDIT]P.S. as a side comment after reading your blog, you can get blu-ray drives for < $100 these days. There's several over at Newegg that are quality brands.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:34 am 

klieber wrote:
dbone1026 wrote:
So are you guys interested in something like this? I think the integration of the Blu Ray player will be the biggest thing I would keep an eye on.

It's a huge step forward, but if and only if they will support blu-ray ISO playback streamed over the network like they do for DVD ISOs. Otherwise, I can build a full HTPC for about the same price (assuming it's ~$350) so the value prop of the PCH goes down significantly.

I get that it's still dead simple, single-purpose, but I want a media streamer, not a media player. That means I want it to stream from other parts of my house so I don't have to fuss with discs any more.

I'm also very happy about the gigabit NIC. That's a step up and makes playing blu-ray ISOs over the LAN even more feasible.

My $.02.

--kurt

[EDIT]P.S. as a side comment after reading your blog, you can get blu-ray drives for < $100 these days. There's several over at Newegg that are quality brands.

Yeah, I couldn't find anywhere if Blu Ray ISOs are supported. I agree, that would be key.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:47 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

klieber wrote:
It's a huge step forward, but if and only if they will support blu-ray ISO playback streamed over the network like they do for DVD ISOs.

Since it's announced that it's BD ready, it should play blu-ray iso (big assumption here). If it can play a BD, I would think you could mount a blu-ray iso in something like virtual clone drive and play it back via the new PCH.

Quote:

The PCH is a media streamer and a media player.

Quote:

Gigabit NIC is nice, but isn't really necessary for streaming blu-ray over LAN. I very rarely see activity in excess of 6 or 7 MB/s when streaming m2ts files and even less for SD DVD iso.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:50 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The other item worth noting is the new C-200 is HUGE compared to the A100/110:

A110: Width 10.5"(270mm) x Depth 5.25" (132mm) x Height 1.25" (32mm)
C200: Width x Depth x Height : 425mm x 290mm x 80mm (16.73" x 11.42" x 3.14")

So the C200 definitely put on some weight. One could potentially foresee a C210 that gets put on a diet and offers support for slim-line bluray drives maybe?

--kurt

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:53 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

cavediver wrote:
klieber wrote:
It's a huge step forward, but if and only if they will support blu-ray ISO playback streamed over the network like they do for DVD ISOs.

Since it's announced that it's BD ready, it should play blu-ray iso (big assumption here). If it can play a BD, I would think you could mount a blu-ray iso in something like virtual clone drive and play it back via the new PCH.

What I'd rather see is the ability to point the C200 at a non-DRM'd blu-ray ISO and have it play that directly with no interim step. IOW, I'd like it to function exactly like it does for DVD ISOs.

--kurt

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:05 am 

$299 seems to be the new number being kicked around. If you get a Blu Ray drive for around $100 and a 500GB 2.5" drive for $90, that would take the price around $500 total (obviously both are optional).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:37 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Now that this unit works with GB-PVR can it be used,as a pvr if you add a hard drive?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:50 am 

llcooldon wrote:
Now that this unit works with GB-PVR can it be used,as a pvr if you add a hard drive?

Good question, not sure. I have been able to successfully get GB-PVR running on my PCH but never tried the LiveTV/PVR functionality. I would think you could use it, but the recordings would take place on the WHS and not the PCH, but just guessing here. There seems to be a decent amount of info on the GB-PVR forum about this (http://forums.gbpvr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:55 am 

Price confirmed at USD 299. You can now sign up to be notified when it is available here. Don't know if I would pull the trigger on this one. I have the PCH A-110 which I really use to store my son's movies on an internal HDD. This allows me to keep only kid friendly content available to him, and makes his movie collection portable. Otherwise I have 2 HTPCs that comfortably cover my media needs.

I really like the option of having a DVD/BR player and a fully functional media extender all built in to one (there are only so many HTPCs I am willing to have throughout my house). This is something that I feel the PS3 fails at miserably (on the media extender side). I would be curious to see how well the BR Player integrates with the PCH, I would hope it is as easy as popping in an BR Drive, throw in any BR disc, and you are good to go???

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:33 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Do you think this would be better than the hd homerun since they bothe would do the same thing.

Regards,
Don

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:39 am 

llcooldon wrote:
Do you think this would be better than the hd homerun since they bothe would do the same thing.

Regards,
Don

Do you have tuner cards hooked up to your WHS? I don't believe the C-200 will accept a tuner card directly attached (but don't know, maybe a USB tuner?)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
llcooldon
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14