It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:05 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Be careful!!!!

Once you figure it out you might not be able to stop yourself from ripping your collection. :mrgreen:

I'll help you save some money, with a link to some cheap 1TB drives in Canada.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX18814(ME).aspx

Also a decent Canadian price on the Sans Digital eSata box:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... %20Digital

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:18 pm 

cavediver wrote:
I just received my A-110 today. Absolutely amazing delivery service. It was shipped via UPS from China on the 28th and arrived at my office around 10:00 a.m. today. Now I just have to figure out how to rip all of my Blu-ray disks to files that I can play with the new Popcorn Hour.

Why not try the following:

1) Rip Blu Ray w/ AnyDVD
2) Using Ripbot convert Rip to mkv using Blu Ray Console setting (Level 4.0, original audio, 8150MB). With mkv you can retain the DTS, TrueHD, etc... original audio
3) Delete original blu ray rip

I am actually doing this process right now, have my entire blu ray/hd dvd collection converted to mkv already. It takes me about an hour to rip the disk and about 10-12 hours to convert the movie to mkv. Quality as close as you will get to the original file, and use 1/3 the space. Don't quite understand why anyone would keep the raw m2ts file as it takes up so much space

Aside from the time constraints, doesn't get any easier then this (I let the converting run overnight)

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:34 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

IMO, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

None of my computers have a Blu-ray or HD DVD drive in them. I need to buy an external Blu-ray / HD DVD drive so I can start my new ripping career. :) Which external Blu-ray / HD DVD drive is best to use for ripping?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:04 pm 

cavediver wrote:
None of my computers have a Blu-ray or HD DVD drive in them. I need to buy an external Blu-ray / HD DVD drive so I can start my new ripping career. :) Which external Blu-ray / HD DVD drive is best to use for ripping?

I just built an HTPC and used this internal Blu Ray/HD DVD combo internal drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827136133

There are some slightly cheaper drives out there that are just blu ray (hd dvd is dead anyway, I just happened to have a bunch of hd dvds I bought cheap after they lost)

I honestly would just figure out what PC you have that has the horsepower to rip/encode and replace the optical drive with an internal Blu Ray

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:39 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Jeff Flowerday wrote:
Well I should have mentioned I'm running.

Quad core extreme overclocked to 3.3GHZ
1333 FSB with 4GB DDR3
Drive sub system:
C: 2 x 10,000 RPM raptors in a Raid 0
M: 2 x 7,000 RPM 1TB seagates in a Raid 0

I always read from one drive and write to the other. Disk I/O is the bottle neck when processinng these files. With a single 7200 rpm drive and a descent processor you probably should ad 20-30 minutes to the conversion tasks.

Now to your question:

If you have an A-110 and you set the DTS setting to digital, not DTS-HD it should extract the the DTS core and pass it to your amp.

Question: Is your amp HDMI capable just not 1.3? If so it is capable of PCM, so convert the DTS-MA or True-HD to pcm and listen to it in all it's HD glory.

Jeff,

On my now humble AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (I'm trying to make it seem very fast) :), this process takes forever. Using Iron Man, it's took 1.5 hrs. just to extract the audio and video. I'm now in the middle of using Pcm2Tsmu.exe to convert the PCM audio to a tsmuxer compatible format. Who knows how long that'll take. And then I'm supposed to use txmuxer to mux it all together.

Whether I do it your way or Damian's way, this is like picking my poison. I'll finish this particular rip but I don't think I'll be doing this again anytime soon. I just don't see how this is worth the effort when you already own the blu-ray disk. If one doesn't own the blu-ray disk... well that's another discussion.

Thanks for providing the tutorial nevertheless. At least that was a time saver.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:17 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Well, my Popcorn arrived today - 2 days to get here from China! wow! Hooked it up and...

my cheapy HTiaB does not decode DTS! Played some TV shows and movies with AC3 and it works great. Picture is excellent, no trouble streamign from my shares om my WHS.

So naturally I just blew another $350+ for a new receiver, one that has DTS. Now I just have to find the time to hook it up. And find some suc, err buyer for the old one. It only cost me $99 with the speakers, I'll find some use for it. It does Dolby Digital, just not DTS.

Of course, i could not wait and hooked up teh new receiver to the old speakers (I got new, WAY better speakers, too), just to try it out. Even without the sub hooked up - whoa the inital battle in Master and Commander. DTS works great now, picked a few movies at random from my list and played a few minutes of each and the PCH handled them all. Also no problem doing a firmware update, no issues fast forwarding in the movies - it just works.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:57 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

All4Fun wrote:

Jeff,

On my now humble AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (I'm trying to make it seem very fast) :), this process takes forever. Using Iron Man, it's took 1.5 hrs. just to extract the audio and video. I'm now in the middle of using Pcm2Tsmu.exe to convert the PCM audio to a tsmuxer compatible format. Who knows how long that'll take. And then I'm supposed to use txmuxer to mux it all together.

Whether I do it your way or Damian's way, this is like picking my poison. I'll finish this particular rip but I don't think I'll be doing this again anytime soon. I just don't see how this is worth the effort when you already own the blu-ray disk. If one doesn't own the blu-ray disk... well that's another discussion.

Well that sucks!!! eac3to usually takes anywhere from 6-20 minutes(depending on movie) to extract video and convert audio to PCM for me. In my case it's the hard drives, reading from one Raid 0 drive and writing to another is all the difference. My CPU barely blinks an eye, it's all I/O.

eac3to takes the longest of the 3 program, which you've probably found out by now. For me pcm2tsmu take 3-5 minutes and the same for tsmuxer. Again these are across disks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:08 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Crap I forgot to tell you to stuff in a dummy DD (AC3) track in the container as well. There's a bug in the A-100/110 that causes it not to play the PCM track unless there's at least another track in the container as well.

Unfortunatley, on your run of eac3to you should of grabbed one of the low bit rate commentary tracks to put in to solve this problem. I usually create a full fledged DD 640kps track from the HD track just incase I want to play the file back on a non HDMI capable sound system.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:50 am 

All4Fun wrote:
Jeff,

The main reason why I rip/convert my Blu Ray/HD DVDs is so I can access them via an extender to watch (my PS3 is hooked up to my main tv downstairs, so if I didn't rip/convert this would be the only tv I can watch my blu ray movies). This comes particularly in handy for my sons movies, as my goal is to never have him handle a dvd disk (anyhow right now anything he gets his hands on either ends up in the garbage or some cabinet where it doesnt belong!!! ). It is definitely time consuming and the only reason I think it is worth doing is because I can get the file down to an 8GB file as opposed to the 20-30GB raw file and retain the exact audio and almost all of the quality. With Ripbot it is basically set it and forget it, so the process is very easy.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:19 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Heh! Its funny that we are all going down the same path, new reciever, new Blu-Ray drive in the PC, trying to rip BD. What a pain.

It will get there that there will be a complete package sooner rather than later. I had the same hassle when DVD's first came out.

Never heard of Ripbot. Will try it out..

Good luck! And if you REALLY want to get depressed, go to afterdawn and read all of the posts about BD ripping there. Its a whole new vocabulary with more acronyms than you can shake a CD at.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:33 pm 

Here is the link to ripbot:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=127611

The author is active on the thread, so he has answered questions to problems I have had in the past. Every three or four weeks he updates the software as well. Ripbot converts videos to mp4, mkv, or Blu Ray structure for burning I would assume. It recognizes blu ray rips, hd dvd rips, and standard dvd rips. It is probably the most straightforward program I have tried, and I have tried many. It takes me about 2 hours for the program to demux audio/video and about another 10 hours to actually convert (depending on settings of course, different settings and different PC specs will yield different results). The settings I use are as follows:

Video Profile - Blu Ray Console (4.0)
Video Profile Properties - Auto Crop
Video Mode - 2-Pass - you can also add the desired bit rate, but I prefer to use the Lock Size option below, which will automatically calculate the needed bitrate
Audio Profile - Original Stream
Lock Size - 8150MB
File Type - mkv

You can add subtitles, but depending on the format (I think file has to be .srt, otherwise you can add later). One note, the author says to delete all installed codecs prior to installing ripbot. Don't do this, just try using the codec package you already have installed (I have the Windows Vista Codec package and had no issues). There is an option to shut down pc when done, so I let it run overnight.

Another program I have used that is rather versatile is Xvid4PSP (don't let the name fool you). This has a lot more options and preset profiles

http://www.winnydows.com/page.php?2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:15 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

http://www.themediamall.com/downloads/playonbeta

Check out this PC media streamer for online content. Main content is on the media streaming page. Terrific package!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2462&p=19850#p19850

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:17 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

DBone, gotta laugh! Yep, ripbot may work fine once I get used to it but a one button push rip of BD disks it ain't! I will give it a try though, you have always had good advice!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:30 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

John Pombrio wrote:
DBone, gotta laugh! Yep, ripbot may work fine once I get used to it but a one button push rip of BD disks it ain't! I will give it a try though, you have always had good advice!

I'm sure that Ripbot may be a fine tool but I still got 7 hours to go on a rip that started at 6:30 AM this morning (10 hours ago). This process is really humbling for my PC. :)

But I won't embarrass it any longer after this rip. :)

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next