It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: iTunes 10 client
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:03 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I upgraded my WHS server from iTunes 9.02 to iTunes 10 tonight. iTunes 10 installs without having to modify the installer package as required under previous versions. It is serving up movies to my AppleTVs without any issues. It survived a server reboot and continued to launch on login as configured for the previous version via Windows Scheduler. The UI seems to be more responsive than 9.02 and it seems to load faster. Memory requirements are about the same as version 9.02. It throws up the usual iPod control module errors when initializing.

So far so good.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Cliff for this post
bc2116

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: iTunes 10 client
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:39 am 

do you have a mediasmart server or are you using firefly? if so have you checked can you see your Music in Itunes? Myself and others have noted what appears to be iTunes 10 breaking firefly!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:44 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

It sounds like you're talking about something else. I am running a full iTunes client on the MSS described in my signature to stream video to 2 AppleTV's. I do not use Firefly as it only streams music. iTunes streams everything in my library which is centralized on the MSS box.

Thanks  
GGHTPC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:35 am 

Hi

I purchase my 1st MediaSmart Server last week and I also had trouble installing iTunes 9 and had the same iPod Service problem as you mentioned in your original post. I eventually got it working (not sure how though) and would like to upgrade to iTunes 10. What is the best way round the iPod Service problem?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:53 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

As far as I know, there is no way around the iPod service errors. They only appear when iTunes initializes so you just have to click through them whenever you reboot the server and/or restart iTunes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:25 pm 

Nick,
You have to modify the install package using Orca to get around the iPod service issues. I think there's a link you can find on google by searching for "iTunes orca whs". I have no issues installing or starting iTunes, and no iPod service errors.

But to clarify, iTunes 10 does break firefly music streaming. If that's something you use then keep it in mind before you update.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank adhesiv for this post
Nick_W14
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:59 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

adhesiv wrote:
Nick,
You have to modify the install package using Orca to get around the iPod service issues. I think there's a link you can find on google by searching for "iTunes orca whs". I have no issues installing or starting iTunes, and no iPod service errors.p

Cliff wrote:
iTunes 10 installs without having to modify the installer package as required under previous versions.

I have always had iPod service module errors when iTunes loads, under 8.x, 9.x, and now 10. Prior versions would not install at all without installer package surgery. 10 is different.

adhesiv wrote:
But to clarify, iTunes 10 does break firefly music streaming. If that's something you use then keep it in mind before you update.

If you run an iTunes client on your MSS, then you would not run Firefly as it would be redundant. One or the other, not both

Thanks  
Nick_W14
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:27 am 

Hi All

I am running iTunes on the MSS so Firefly isn't a requirement for me, but thanks for the advice anyway.

I installed iTunes 10 and I did get the iPod Service issue that I had with iTunes 9, but this time I was given an option to ignore it and the install finished successfully! On 9 I didn't get this option and the install would roll-back!

Thanks for all your help

Nick

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:29 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Nick_W14 wrote:
I installed iTunes 10 and I did get the iPod Service issue that I had with iTunes 9, but this time I was given an option to ignore it and the install finished successfully! On 9 I didn't get this option and the install would roll-back!

Thanks for all your help

Nick

It's kind of moot at this point, but this article talks about how to install version 9 on WHS: http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/09/11/he ... me-server/

But 10 is definitely more better for those of us who don't use Firefly and instead run a full iTunes client on our MSS/WHS machines because we need to stream video in addition to music.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:25 pm 

I currently run an ex470 and never had any luck with the built in itunes server, so I installed itunes 9 (doing the modification to the exe) and I RDP into the server and fire itunes... it pops an error everytime that I don't have a sound card device... I went as far as buying a usb sound device (Note: I don't try and play music on it just use it to serve my library to a couple appletv's and a few PC's and two Tivos) is there a good way by this? will IiTunes 10 install nicely?

Thanks....

DD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:22 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

double_d wrote:
I currently run an ex470 and never had any luck with the built in itunes server, so I installed itunes 9 (doing the modification to the exe) and I RDP into the server and fire itunes... it pops an error everytime that I don't have a sound card device... I went as far as buying a usb sound device (Note: I don't try and play music on it just use it to serve my library to a couple appletv's and a few PC's and two Tivos) is there a good way by this? will IiTunes 10 install nicely?

Thanks....

DD

Cliff wrote:
It throws up the usual iPod control module errors when initializing.

Cliff wrote:
As far as I know, there is no way around the iPod service errors. They only appear when iTunes initializes so you just have to click through them whenever you reboot the server and/or restart iTunes.

Cliff wrote:
I have always had iPod service module errors when iTunes loads, under 8.x, 9.x, and now 10. Prior versions would not install at all without installer package surgery. 10 is different.

I've run out of different ways to phrase my answer to this question, so I'm not going to try.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:12 pm 

the ipod error when installing is fine, its the no sound card error that everytime itunes is started that bugs me, being as it seems the server updates often and I need to RDP in and restart itunes... FYI I updated to iTunes 10 last night and it installed fine and seems to run better as far as speed, but it still gives me the sound device error (no ipod service error)

Thanks

DD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hey everyone,

I was hoping you all could give me some help and advice. I am looking to do something similar to what it seems like you all are already doing. I have several computers already running iTunes along with an airport express connected to my stereo so I can stream music to it. What I would like to accomplish is to have iTunes on my MSS so that my music is always accessible via the Airport Express. I also would still like to be able to access and play my music through iTunes on my desktops and laptops. And the final requirement is that I be able to use the iTunes "Remote" app on my iphone to control all of these "zones". Is this something that is possible?

I have a similar setup now where iTunes runs on my desktop and streams to the Airport Express and I can use the "remote" app to control both. I would like iTunes to be on my MSS so that I don't have to leave my desktop running 24/7. The problem I forsee is that if I install iTune on the MSS then I won't be able to control my computer anymore via "Remote".

Please help me if you can.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:04 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

LouDog0102 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I was hoping you all could give me some help and advice. I am looking to do something similar to what it seems like you all are already doing. I have several computers already running iTunes along with an airport express connected to my stereo so I can stream music to it. What I would like to accomplish is to have iTunes on my MSS so that my music is always accessible via the Airport Express. I also would still like to be able to access and play my music through iTunes on my desktops and laptops. And the final requirement is that I be able to use the iTunes "Remote" app on my iphone to control all of these "zones". Is this something that is possible?

I have a similar setup now where iTunes runs on my desktop and streams to the Airport Express and I can use the "remote" app to control both. I would like iTunes to be on my MSS so that I don't have to leave my desktop running 24/7. The problem I forsee is that if I install iTune on the MSS then I won't be able to control my computer anymore via "Remote".

Please help me if you can.

It should work.

I just paired my iPhone running the Remote app with the instance of iTunes running on my MSS. Remote allows you to specify which Airplay speakers will be streamed to by the iTunes library. In my case, my speakers are connected to the network via an Apple TV (and a Denon HTR). I think the AppleTV has to be the point of control rather than the iTunes library with my equipment as it is configured. I can say that the song I tried to play was selected in the iTunes UI on the MSS, but I got an unknown error dialog on my iPhone when I tried to play it. My guess would be that the AppleTV wants to pull the stream from its end and tells the iTunes library to which it's connected to go bugger off if the library tries to push the stream from its end. It would seem my experiment partly succeeded.

I have an airport express here, but I would have to reconfigure it along with the 2 airport base stations in my home network to fully test your scenario in my environment. That's too disruptive to my nicely working setup so it's not going to happen. But, it seems like what you want to do should work.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:38 pm 

I must do this itunes upgrade tonight when I get home...

1 Alienware laptop
1 Macbook pro
2 xbox360's
1 ps3
1 apple tv
1 Mac-mini (snow leopard server)
1 MacPro with (VM Win7, VM Server 08)

Thanks