It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:01 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

HI,
I have a ex470 w/2gb memory, latest hp software update/patch 3. I have a Sony blu-ray bdp-s470 that has the latest firmware update for dlna media streaming.

I was able to get photos to show up but music will not play, and neither will videos. The folder structure appears and that is the extent of it.

I have only shared the video folder now, and placed five small video files in the video folder. I have re-built the database, it shows, but nothing will show up through my blu-ray player, the only message I get is "there is no playable file".

I have tried to update to twonky version 6, however the software install asks me for a license key, since twonky is built into hp's software I can't get the licence key to update. Has anyone else been able to do so?

I'm feeling that twonky is not the best thing for me, as it has taken me an hour of fiddling to get it to remotely even work correctly. Is there something else out there that's easier and simpler than this?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:45 pm 

Twonky has a listing of compatable DLNA devices. Did you happen to see if your Sony was listed? Also the file formats which you placed in the shares can your sony play them? Maybe the Sony will list only the file formats it can play. I am only speculating here. Also does the Sony give you an option to display all video and if so have you tried that?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:39 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Their website is tough to get information off of. All I could find was

"Generally, TwonkyServer works with any TV, game console, A/V system, PC, network-attached storage (NAS) device, digital media adapter and mobile device that is DLNA or UPnP compatible, plus a number of other devices that aren't DLNA- or UPnP AV - compliant, such as the Xbox 360®."

Twonky doesn't list specific devices from what I could see.

My thoughts exactly on sony being big brother, and blocking certain file formats, but the ones I'm trying to play are listed as compatible in the user manual.

My player doesn't give an option to list what file types to show, it's all or nothing.

I'm up the creek now as I've installed v6 through RDC, now I think I've botched the entire twonky system. Twonky hasn't replied to my inquiries at all either. I wish mac would come out with a setup like this, it'd be so much easier than messing with this hoopla.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:16 am 

Here is a picture of the listing of devices I was refering to within Twonky.

Attachment:
Twonky Media Receivers.PNG
Twonky Media Receivers.PNG [ 15.3 KiB | Viewed 13117 times ]

I will send you a PM.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:21 am 

I've the same issue with a Sony BDP-S480. The MediaSmart shows and the folder structure. However, no photos, music or video may be accessed. When I navigate to a folder containing any of this material I receive the message "there is no playable file." Further, I have the same issue with my Yamaha, network connected device, as I can navigate the MediaSmart Server but when trying to open an album folder it is unable to locate any playable file.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:40 pm 

Hi charlest101 welcome to the forums. If your running WHS v1 you might want to look at Serviio as an alternative to Twonky. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/06 ... -released/

Personally I do not require Twonky or Serviio on my end so I am unable to comment on how the newer version of Serviio works. I did test out an older version and it was quite nice and very feature rich. What I do know is that those who I have made recommendation to try it out have found it to be useful. If you use the site search and look for posts about Serviio you can review what others are saying about it to help you determine if you want to give it a try or not.

If your looking to enhanse your media streaming experience then sort through the sites NEWS, REVIEWS and GUIDES looking for write ups by Damian aka dbone1026 in the forums as he knows more about this stuff than I and is the sites expert on these matters.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:10 am 

I tried Serviio but could not get it to install. Missing Java from what I could determine. When I connect via Remote Desktop Connection and try to install per Serviio site suggestion a number of issues arise. I've not been able to use IE to connect to any site since I started using my Mediasmart. HP seems to have installed security(?)/disabled this capability. When installing Serviio it wants to use internet access during the install.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:51 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm far from a serviio expert and this thread is getting old, but wanted to follow up just in case someone went down this road again.
It's xmas day 2012 and Serviio is now up to a paid/reduced function version now 1.1.0.
Here is the latest addon for whs v1 http://serviiowhs.codeplex.com/.
I tried the new version of serviio 1.1.0 and it failed to work, all my clients were their just like before but they were lined out and not working.
I tried installing and reinstalling serviio and the addon and finally ended up uninstalling all the serviio stuff, reinstalling the older 0.6.2 version I had used to start with, installed the above link addin and it forced a 1.0.1 serviio update and all is back to working.
So right now I would not try the 1.1.0 paid/free version till they get the bug out. I went to the serviio forums and noticed that other people were having the same problem when they updated.
I would be more then willing to buy serviio, I like it, works with my samsung plasma, but not right now.
I left twonkey long ago, even paid money just to find out it still didn't work, have not checked back for awhile, last I heard they were going to make a newer version that would work for whs, but there were lots promises that went away.
As far as getting software to the server, I would download on a client and move to the server, the run it whit remote desktop.
Goodluck
P.S. Twonkey went down the tube when ya upgraded ya lost the free version and even if you bought a key it still didn't work right.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:13 pm 

I actually extracted the TWONKEY stuff from the last HP update and installed it on my Proliant Server which at the time was running WHS OEM and it appeared to run without issue. I used the following instructions from the following link: viewtopic.php?t=7385

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks