It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:39 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Currently using airvideo on my WHS to stream to an ipod touch..works flawlessly on the home LAn and outside over the internet.. a great app indeed...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:17 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Because of apps like AirVideo/OrbLive and other cpu-intensive transcoding operations, I have a quad core AMD 9500 (2.2GHz) "HTPC" that is used for all this stuff and the EX490 is pretty much regulated to file storage, backups, and audio streaming.

The HTPC is able to transcode/streams (wifi) from these sorts of raw HD video files:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... wcase.aspx though the aspect ratio is off.

If you can point me to any test files to download that you'd like me to try with AirVideo, I'll be happy to report back.

I actually use Orb more for various reasons and they're working on addressing the issue where their software can't stream h.264 recordings from my HD-PVR. Once that's working, I'll be golden.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:23 pm 

OK, so I finally upgraded my iPod Touch so I can test out Apps. I purchased AirVideo and tested on my Ipod and my wife's iPhone. Here are my results:

- No issues with my iPod. I was even able to play back my hd content, but with mixed results. The opening scene of Quantum of Solace played flawless, but The Dark Knight had issues (both Blu Ray)
- My wife's iPhone I keep getting an error when trying to access the AirVideo server. Not sure what is going on there, will have to test out more

Another note, I have home sharing set up in iTunes. It works fine between my wife and my PC, but for some reaosn does not work on my moms pc (she lives with us so she is obviously on the same network). On my mom's PC it allows me to enter in the name and password for my PC to share, home sharing shows up momentarily on the left toolbar, but then dissapears.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:34 pm 

OK, I resolved the access issue on my wife's phone. I have UPnP shut off on my router because it is causing issues with my server. Because of this I had to manually forward the air video port. If you need to do this, do as follows:

In AirVideo

- Under the Settings tab check "Listen on Custom Port" and enter the port number you want to use (AirVideo defaults to 45631)
- Under the Remote tab check "Enable Access From Internet" and uncheck "Automatically Map Port"

In Your Router Settings

- Under Single Port Forwarding enter your AirVideo designated port under External Port and Internal Port. Choose "TCP" as your protocol. For the IP Address enter in the IP Address of the computer/server that AirVideo is running from. Last, check enabled.

Doing this now everything works fine. My router is a Linksys WRT610N, so different routers may have slightly different settings.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:44 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Could have given you a hand. Just send me a PM if u need any other help getting it going.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:44 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Looking at doing this for my iphone

can someone explain how to do this please?

Quote:
When you run AirVideo on the WHS (which you will also need to do via RDP) you simply tell it what folders you want to make available

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:28 pm 

MrKennedy wrote:
Looking at doing this for my iphone

can someone explain how to do this please?

Quote:
When you run AirVideo on the WHS (which you will also need to do via RDP) you simply tell it what folders you want to make available

Same exact process. I did this for my moms Ipad, my wifes iPhone, and my iPod:

Here is the writeup from jmpage:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/04 ... -airvideo/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:20 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi,

Followed the guide and installed AirVideo and Java on my Home Server (Ex495), downloaded the app and it found my server and the shared folders i told it to access.

Now the problems started, it found the files no problems and sees them as .avi or .mkv but when i went to play them it just says loading video for about 5 mins and i have to stop it.

So seen the posts on port forwarding the router, so opened port 45631 anh changed the settings in Airvideo

[settings] Listen on Custom Port 45631 (ticked)
[remote] Enable Access from internet (beta) ticked (untick auto map port)

Go to test connection and and get Your Air Video Server is NOT accessible from the internet, but status says Ok

Try it on iphone and still same issue

Any ideas where i'm going wrong?

Last edited by MrKennedy on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:24 am 

MrKennedy wrote:
Hi,

Followed the guide and installed AirVideo and Java on my Home Server (Ex495), downloaded the app and it found my server and the shared folders i told it to access.

Now the problems started, it found the files no problems and sees them as .avi or .mkv but when i went to play them it just says loading video for about 5 mins and i have to stop it.

So seen the posts on port forwarding the router, so opened port 45631 anh changed the settings in Airvideo

Go to test connection and and get Your Air Video Server is NOT accessible from the internet

Are you sure your router settings are correct (you opened up port 45631 and forwarded it to your EX496 IP address)? Also, did you set up a Pin# in AirVideo that you enter in on the iPhone to connect?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:48 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Yes checked the settings
If i remote into my server and open localhost:45631 then i get a Air Video written there, the same if i open the internet on my iphone and go to 192.168.0.2:45631 it shows the words Air Video.

I have enabled uPnP on my router but cannot even see any of my folders then. So disabled it and can see them but still not playing any videos. Even tried a very small file (200mb) just says loading movie and then times out.

also added my server via the pin method

When i now click test connection is says [Your Air Video instance is accessible from internet]

But still not loading any movies

thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:47 am 

Mr Kennedy,

Any luck getting it working? I have to guess it is a router/firewall issue

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:47 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Not yet, but haven't had the time to test it fully as my server crashed so had to reboot everything, nearly lost alot of data. But managed to save it.

Hopefully give it a go the weekend

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:42 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

MrKennedy wrote:
Hi,

Go to test connection and and get Your Air Video Server is NOT accessible from the internet, but status says Ok

Does it fail to work on the local network or just fails to work over the internet? The local network shouldn't even involve the router unless your router has UPNP screwing with the packet flow between the devices. If it is failing on local network as well then provide the IP of the iphone and the IP of the server, maybe you are inadvertently routing it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone/jmpage2

what version of the MSS are you guys running this on? I have a 475 and Id like to hook up airsharing for my iPhone and my son's iPod. Im becoming disillusioned with ORB at the moment as I liked ORB media until the company killed it off and ORB live doesnt work over 3g on the IOS4 from what I read. when you installed the airvideo it asks to install java wont that break stuff on the MSS ex47x? I though some functuality used a specific Java RTE? also it says it can convert the video for you before streaming, do they mean live transcoding? I rather not have to clear out videos of shows Ive streamed to my iPhone. Id rather just transcode on the fly only as this doesnt use up free space that a premium right now. does that make sense. if you have tried ORB can you give me an idea why you liked one over the other.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:08 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
dbone/jmpage2

what version of the MSS are you guys running this on? I have a 475 and Id like to hook up airsharing for my iPhone and my son's iPod. Im becoming disillusioned with ORB at the moment as I liked ORB media until the company killed it off and ORB live doesnt work over 3g on the IOS4 from what I read. when you installed the airvideo it asks to install java wont that break stuff on the MSS ex47x? I though some functuality used a specific Java RTE? also it says it can convert the video for you before streaming, do they mean live transcoding? I rather not have to clear out videos of shows Ive streamed to my iPhone. Id rather just transcode on the fly only as this doesnt use up free space that a premium right now. does that make sense. if you have tried ORB can you give me an idea why you liked one over the other.

I have a home built WHS that I use. Howeve, with my old EX470 I used to always have the latest java installed, so that will not cause a problem. AirVideo will transcode any format that I assume is not native to the iPod/iPhone, so depending on what type of file is being transcoded your EX475 CPU will take a significant hit. Since all my videos are non Apple frieldnly everything i stream with AirVideo gets transcoded (not converted). I tried Orb and didn't like, found it way too buggy/unreliable. I have yet to have an issue where AirVideo did not work or it hung up on me

Thanks