It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Twonky Server 5.1.6
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:11 pm 

Hi guys,

I just noticed the following message on Twonky forums about WHS Twonky update. According to Twonky they have delivered version 5.1.6 to HP last August. At least I haven't received any updates for my EX475 (with v3 SW). It is still running version 5.1.1.

So I was wondering is there anybody that has received the update yet?

Quote:
TwonkyServer for WHS - Status Update
by TMM_Product_Manager on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:05 pm

The have been a lot of misinformation posted online about the problems with high CPU utilization on HP MediaSmart servers, so we thought it might be a good time for a status update on this topic.

There are several different causes of high CPU usage on MediaSmart Servers.

Cause 1: The process of scanning an entire disk for media files, extracting all of the metadata, creating a media database and creating the full navigation tree is a CPU intensive process.

Status: Although we are continually optimizing the scanning process, this is not a bug -- it is expected behavior and CPU usage drops back to normal after the scanning process is complete.

Cause 2: Problems with high CPU usage that doesn’t drop back to normal after file scanning used to occur when one or more problem video files caused the file scanner to go into infinite loops.

Status: Problem fixed. Numerous improvements have been made to the file scanner in TwonkyServer 5.1 and 6.0 that greatly improve this situation. When running TwonkyServer 6.x corrupt media files are now blacklisted and removed from the navigation tree so they no longer cause high CPU usage or other problems. Users running older versions of TwonkyMedia server 5.x add-in will have to remove these files manually (http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/03 ... 0-patch-2/) or upgrade to the newest version of TwonkyServer, they will find this problem goes away. In case you’re wondering, the newest version of the TwonkyServer Add-on is 5.1.6. This version is being made available to HP this week. The newest version of the non add-on version of TwonkyServer is 6.0.1 – with 6.0.2 only weeks away.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Twonky Server 5.1.6
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 pm 
Founder
Founder

We will never see this version from HP.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/11 ... ata-vault/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:23 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Maybe we can work a deal with twonky since they are also aware of HP leaving WHS segment. Maybe Twonky will furnish the add-in since they have already been paid. I sent someone I have talked to numerous times at PV to see if there is any chance they would help out it the community support add-in. We will see what happens, Hopefully they are still with PV.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:24 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ok got a response. The answer was no due to contracts. but I did find this:

It's been reported by one of our users that TwonkyServer 5.1.6 for WHS works with the HP MediaSmart Media Streamer app. Although this isn't officially supported, you might want to give this a try if you're having problems.
downloads/5.1.6/TwonkyMediaServerWHS.msi

(The part that says downloads is actually a link to the msi.) Im going to assume there is no diffrence in the regular add-in and the HP version.

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8233

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:20 pm 

Thanks for clarification! So it seems we won't be getting any support from HP. Twonky 5.1.6 license seems to cost 15€ which is not that bad. I may give it a try. Apart from twonky I have been quite happy with my EX475, I can stream music and movies, backup my PC's (also online backup to Amazon S3 works now with V3 SW thanks to support from this forum). I even use the server to control my home security cameras. Streaming to internet via twonky has still some issues e.g. with AAC transcoding, I was hoping to get those fixed with the 5.1.6 update.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:14 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My friend at twonky said he is using 6.0.30. Its the non add in new version and says it offers more format support and its less buggy. If your going to spring for a license might check that version out. let us know.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

I believe you'll lose the HP Remote Streaming feature if you go to 6.0.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

maybe we can put that on the list for the community add-in. Id hate to lose any iStream functionality. Especially since there wont be any updates to that software from here on out. An with WHS Mobile Closed also there isnt much left focus'd solely on the WHS and iPhone

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Twonky 6

Windows Home Server-related FAQ

Q: I’m getting error messages when using the HP Video Convertor app with TwonkyServer 6.0 (e.g. An unexpected error occurred converting video: The RPC server is not available…). What is the cause of this problem?

A: The HP Video Convertor app is encountering problems with some of your media files. We did not create the HP Video Convertor app and as a result are unable to fix problems like this. Although the error message listed above seems like it might be related to TwonkyServer. RPC stands for Remote Procedure Call and the RPC server is part of the operating system, not TwonkyServer.

Q: I’m having problems getting TwonkyServer to automatically run on my WHS hardware. Do you have any suggestions what I can try?

A: You might want to try this and see if it helps:
1. Log onto the WHS machine using Remote Desktop
2. Open the Control Panel from the Start Menu and select "Administrative Tools -> Services"
3. Find the TwonkyMedia service listed here and make sure it is set to "Automatic" in the "Startup Type" column
4. Highlight the "TwonkyMedia" service and Right-Click on it to open the Properties settings
5. Make sure that the Log On panel is set to Local System account and not a specific user account as shown below, then hit O.K.

Q: Why am I getting “No Server Response” messages when I try to use TwonkyServer 6.0 with the HP MediaSmart Media Streamer app?

A: The HP MediaSmart Media Streamer app doesn't work with TwonkyServer 6.0. If you want to use this app for remote access, you'll need to revert back to the version of TwonkyServer 5.1 that came with your MediaSmart server.

It's been reported by one of our users that TwonkyServer 5.1.6 for WHS works with the HP MediaSmart Media Streamer app. Although this isn't officially supported, you might want to give this a try if you're having problems.
downloads/5.1.6/TwonkyMediaServerWHS.msi

Later this year, we plan to release TwonkyServer 6.1 which will perform similar functions as the HP Media Streamer app. TwonkyServer 6.1 will be a free upgrade for anyone who purchased a license for TwonkyServer 5.x or 6.0.

Q: After installing TwonkyServer 6.0 the HP MediaSmart app for iPhone no longer works. Can anything be done to fix this?

A: No. TwonkyServer 6.0 does not work with the HP iPhone app. If you want to use this app, you'll need to revert back to the version of TwonkyServer 5.1 that came with your MediaSmart server.

Q: I recently purchased TwonkyServer 6.0 to run on my HP MediaSmart server. However, I’ve found that not all of the features work that worked before. How can I go back to the way things are before?

A: You have several options:

1. Go back to the original discs that came with your product, reinstall them and then apply any updates. Before doing this, you’ll need to transfer any media files off of your server.
2. Check online for a custom updated WHS installer. This is available from some, but not all manufacturers.

Q: Can you provide instructions how I can uninstall TwonkyServer 6.0 from my HP MediaSmart server and go back to the previous Add-in?

A: Yes. Uninstall instructions have been provided below.

Q: I recently purchased TwonkyServer 6.0 to run on my HP MediaSmart server. However, I’ve found that not all of the features work that worked before. How can I request a refund?

A: To request a refund go here: http://www.twonky.com/ContactUs.aspx
For the fastest possible response, it’s important that you change the pop-up from ‘General Information’ to ‘Twonky Accounting Support’. You must also enter your name and the e-mail address that you used to purchase your Twonky software. All other fields are optional.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:40 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Some very interesting news is that twonky is going to be offering a mobile app sometime next month.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:22 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

http://www.twonkyvision.de/products/twonkymobile/

There looks to be a Droid version also

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:40 pm 

OK, I bought the license for Twonky Server 5.1.6. It seems even this version cannot transcode AAC files. When I select the first song of any album in the Media Streamer the progress bar will go fast to the end. Then the next song will be selected automatically and the same thing happens. This repeats until all songs have been processed. But none of the songs can be played. Conclusion: not worth upgrading if you have your song library stored in AAC format.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I believe that it works for 6 also but I could be wrong, the license that is. How does 5.1.6 work over our current version?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:01 pm 

Based on quick testing version 5.1.6 does not really fix any of the M4A (AAC) playing issues. Direct play using the web interface and also streaming to Roku Soundbridge works ok. Windows Media Player (version 11) buffers about one minute and then finally starts playing. Media Streamer does not work at all. Version 6 is out of question for me as it does not support remote streaming (and no add-in support either).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:06 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I installed 5.1.6 on my X510 and all seems to be working for me.

One thing that I found out how to kill the Windows Media Connect problem.

Quote:
Best way to disable Windows Media Connect on WHS is to set

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager"

Create Dword on the server "UseThirdPartyMediaSharingProvider" set to "1"

It works so far after a reboot.

Quote:
UPDATE: After the 30 days, it stopped working. I used my version 6 reg code to reg 5.1.6 and it is working again.

Quote:
UPDATE: Now twonky is not happy, errors, so I turned it off and will be looking at a reset again :crazy:
I think I should have cleaned out all the old twonky stuff first before loading the 5.1.6 This box has had to many versions installed and un-installed without cleaning to be sure.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
yakuza