It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:43 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I got WinAdmin up and running, and Air Video just updated their app to work with the iPad. Pretty sweet. Now I need to get my DVDs onto my MSS. If Hulu would come out with an app, I could probably cancel my Directv once I get a faster processor in my MSS. I knew the iPad wouldn't be able to access the Shares folders, but that would be an added bonus. When trying to stream Hulu using PlayOn, it already crashes. I know the weak Celeron certainly wouldn't handle Air Video and PlayOn simultaneously. I'm still deciding on the best way to deal with iTunes and the MSS. I'm think of just pointing iTunes to movies and TV shows stored on the MSS and leaving the music on my laptop. My music collection only like 20gb or something. I mean thats the whole reason for it right, to not have to store everything on my laptop. So far I've really impressed with the iPad. It does exactly what I wanted it to do, books, magazines, movies, and the web. iPhone OS 4.0 will add multitasking, which is greatly needed. But I am kind of disappointed Apple didn't step it up a little and add something like Wifi syncing.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:45 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

@dbone1026, I wish I could say something that would sway you to the "Dark Side" but nothing is coming to me. I've seen you compare the iPad to the functionality of a netbook and for your purposes, the netbook might better satisfy your needs especially if you go head to head on price and functionality alone which is quite valid.

I can tell you that I prefer the experience of reading books and browsing the web in portrait mode than I do on my landscape screen netbook/laptop. I have the feeling that if you spent the day "using" an iPad, your impression may change. I don't think explaining the iPad to anyone does it justice. :)

Plus, being the Mets fan you are, you might appreciate MLB/sports apps like this:
Image Image

I don't think you can have apps like this on a netbook. ;)
And, while possible, are you really going to create a long Word doc on a netbook?

Have I sold you on an iPad yet? :)

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:58 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

WEED099 wrote:
I'm still deciding on the best way to deal with iTunes and the MSS. I'm think of just pointing iTunes to movies and TV shows stored on the MSS and leaving the music on my laptop. My music collection only like 20gb or something. I mean thats the whole reason for it right, to not have to store everything on my laptop. So far I've really impressed with the iPad. It does exactly what I wanted it to do, books, magazines, movies, and the web. iPhone OS 4.0 will add multitasking, which is greatly needed. But I am kind of disappointed Apple didn't step it up a little and add something like Wifi syncing.

I store all of my media content on the MSS and use iTunes on my desktop computers to point to a mapped drives pointed to my Music share. I don't have iTunes automatically manage my library. Each member of my family shares the same Music share as a central repository for all digtial music in my household but have their own individual library. In my case, I then sync my iPad with my desired content. The others do the same with their respective iDevice and library.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:51 am 

All4Fun wrote:
@dbone1026, I wish I could say something that would sway you to the "Dark Side" but nothing is coming to me. I've seen you compare the iPad to the functionality of a netbook and for your purposes, the netbook might better satisfy your needs especially if you go head to head on price and functionality alone which is quite valid.

I can tell you that I prefer the experience of reading books and browsing the web in portrait mode than I do on my landscape screen netbook/laptop. I have the feeling that if you spent the day "using" an iPad, your impression may change. I don't think explaining the iPad to anyone does it justice. :)

Plus, being the Mets fan you are, you might appreciate MLB/sports apps like this:
Image Image

I don't think you can have apps like this on a netbook. ;)
And, while possible, are you really going to create a long Word doc on a netbook?

Have I sold you on an iPad yet? :)

Like I said, not being an Apple guy maybe I don't see the value in the iPad because I have never bothered with the Apps on my iPod Touch, and that seems to be where the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch excel at. As for the MLB app, I prefer not to be reminded every day that my team sucks, lol

Don't forget, for me the iPad is going up against a notebook, not a netbook. I know it is not necessarily a fair fight as a core i3/i5 laptop frankly kicks the $hit out of the iPad for the same and even LESS price as you would expect, but I am looking at it from the standpoint that I have x dollars to spend on a mobile device right now so it is fair game to compare the devices. Trust me, I have tried every way possible to convince myself to just do it and buy an iPad, just way too many missing features for the premium that Apple is asking for. I know how you can convince me to buy an iPad though Richard, sell me yours for $250 :mrgreen:

One thing I will be curious to see is how sales hold up. You figure at release much of the sales were to Apple fanatics who would probably buy Steve Job's poop if he made it available. I am sure every Best Buy has an iPad setup like the one I saw on Sunday, so I wonder how many consumers go there, mess around with the iPad, think it is cool, but then leave without making a purchase.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Sales appear to be leveling out a bit but they are impressive nonetheless. Today alone, 20,000 new iPads seen online.

http://labs.chitika.com/ipad/

Keep in mind that Apple reported 400,000 had been sold on Thursday when they did their iPhone OS 4.0 dog and pony show so this shows that they are still selling quite a few... it looks like they will hit a million in under 60 days which is quite impressive for a device that "noone needs" as it were.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:00 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I was in the Michigan Ave. Apple store in Chicago on Saturday. My wife wanted to see the iPad, so I checked out the Mac Pro line. The line to check the iPad out stretched all across the front of the store. I had to go upstairs to find a path to the Mac pros!

BTW, the Mac Pro is one helluva nice case, one of the nicest I've seen in a long time. Easy to upgrade, nicely laid out, all made from machined aluminum. And Intel Xeon “Nehalem” Quad-Core processor. Apple does a great job on hardware.

My wife played around with the iPad and decided not to get one. She loves the screen and the feel in her hands, but for the $$ spent, her netbook does so much more.

Jim

EDIT: Updated the processor information.

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Last edited by jam3ohio on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:00 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I fully anticipate Apple doing a $100 price drop across the iPad line this fall in conjunction with the OS 4.0 release.

They will have already skimmed the extra profit from the early adopters and it will be easier to sell people iPads at $399 or $349 going into the holidays especially if the OS is multi-task capable at that point.

Then in spring of 2011 we will likely see iPad 2.0 which will include video iChat, etc.

I don't think we will see integrated USB on the iPad but based on what was done with the Macbook and iMac line I would not be surprised to see an SD card slot on it as well as a 2nd dock connector so that it can be docked in landscape mode and used as a digital picture frame.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:22 pm 

I am holding out for the iBoard and the iMat:

http://gizmodo.com/5481923/what-comes-after-the-ipad

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:37 pm 
Founder
Founder

That's pretty good, I like some of the comments on that page too. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:47 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Got Logmeinignition for the iPad and it makes for an outstanding way to access computers remotely with the iPad. Highly recommended and worth every penny! :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:00 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I thought I might resurrect this topic and ask if anyone is successfully accessing the remote computer access capabilities of the MSS using the iPad (or iPad2)..? I am seriously considering getting one. I understand that, as an alternative, there is a LogMeIn app for the iPad that can be used to directly access a PC. Anyone used that successfully? What limitations there?

What about streaming music and/or pictures to the iPad from an MS? How are folks doing that these days?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:14 pm 

JohnBick wrote:
I thought I might resurrect this topic and ask if anyone is successfully accessing the remote computer access capabilities of the MSS using the iPad (or iPad2)..? I am seriously considering getting one. I understand that, as an alternative, there is a LogMeIn app for the iPad that can be used to directly access a PC. Anyone used that successfully? What limitations there?

What about streaming music and/or pictures to the iPad from an MS? How are folks doing that these days?

I have both LogMeIn and Jump Desktop running. I actually like Jump Desktop a little better (as far as controlling) but since I use LogMeIn for all my other PCs/Servers I probably use that more.

As far as streaming music/pictures there are a few options. If within your home you can use the new iTunes sharing feature

Right now I use subsonic for music which works outside the network, but another App I am testing that works for both music and photos is Remote Potato

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
JohnBick
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:56 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I got to say that the iPad has been a great addition to my electronic life. My thinks i am crazy because when i travel i take my iPhone, MacBook Pro and the iPad. For music subsonic is my number one choice. I like the new share option from iTunes but i think subsonic is better. Plus it makes me look cool when i show my friend my own "pandora radio". For videos i use air video mostly on my iPad.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:26 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi John... long time, no communicate :oops:

I know this is going to sound like Apple bashing, but I would suggest you look at the android device from Asus called the Eee Pad Transformer.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-TF101 ... 918&sr=8-1

See more details after the quote.

JohnBick wrote:

The Transformer went on sale in the US this past Tuesday and sold out within 20 minutes (just after midnight) on Amazon and many other online sites that carry it. Some of the "sell out" was due to low product (un)availability from Asus. Asus has apologized (I forget where I read that so no link) for the low production citing their misunderstanding of the demand in the US. Not sure how they can say that because they released it in the UK about 3 weeks back with the same "surprise" :roll:

Can't beat that price at $400 and the addition of the keyboard dock for $150 (hence the name...Transformer) makes this device as useful as a notebook sans the ability to run Win 7 on it. The number of apps for Android exceeded apps for the iPad recently so with the keyboard dock addition and having many apps available the Transformer is very "notebook like" for a total of $550. It comes with free apps that read/write Excel, Word and PowerPoint files so it can be used for productivity task just like a notebook.

Full Disclosure: Mind you, if you need 3G or 4G modems included for cell phone access, the Transformer will not meet those needs as for the moment is it Wi-Fi only. Asus says 3G and 4G models will be available later this year.

Here is a link from the Asus site with more details.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad ... mer_TF101/

The transformer is the tablet I am going to buy as soon as it comes back in stock in the US. If there is any doubt in your mind about my decision, please look for some reviews that have popped up this week where production versions were sent to bloggers/news agencies. The ones I have read show the Transformer to be a worthy competitor to even the iPad2. Search for "TF101" for the reviews and more info.
George

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:57 pm 

SeaRay33 wrote:
Hi John... long time, no communicate :oops:

I know this is going to sound like Apple bashing, but I would suggest you look at the android device from Asus called the Eee Pad Transformer.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-TF101 ... 918&sr=8-1

See more details after the quote.

JohnBick wrote:

The Transformer went on sale in the US this past Tuesday and sold out within 20 minutes (just after midnight) on Amazon and many other online sites that carry it. Some of the "sell out" was due to low product (un)availability from Asus. Asus has apologized (I forget where I read that so no link) for the low production citing their misunderstanding of the demand in the US. Not sure how they can say that because they released it in the UK about 3 weeks back with the same "surprise" :roll:

Can't beat that price at $400 and the addition of the keyboard dock for $150 (hence the name...Transformer) makes this device as useful as a notebook sans the ability to run Win 7 on it. The number of apps for Android exceeded apps for the iPad recently so with the keyboard dock addition and having many apps available the Transformer is very "notebook like" for a total of $550. It comes with free apps that read/write Excel, Word and PowerPoint files so it can be used for productivity task just like a notebook.

Full Disclosure: Mind you, if you need 3G or 4G modems included for cell phone access, the Transformer will not meet those needs as for the moment is it Wi-Fi only. Asus says 3G and 4G models will be available later this year.

Here is a link from the Asus site with more details.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad ... mer_TF101/

The transformer is the tablet I am going to buy as soon as it comes back in stock in the US. If there is any doubt in your mind about my decision, please look for some reviews that have popped up this week where production versions were sent to bloggers/news agencies. The ones I have read show the Transformer to be a worthy competitor to even the iPad2. Search for "TF101" for the reviews and more info.
George

Hey George,

Did you miss my post :wink: - http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/04 ... ct-launch/

I actually would still recommend an iPad over an Android tablet. I have never used an Android tablet but from what I have heard HoneyComb is still a work in progress, and there is very little development or very few HoneyComb optimized Apps. There are some neat apps for the iPad such as the Cablevision App which I documented here for watching Live TV(if you are a subscriber), WMC remote control and playback with theMy Movies App, etc...

I think over time Android/HoneyComb will catch up, but we are still a bit away

I have my pre order for the Transformer in, so if/when I receive I can have a nice Android/iPad battle :mrgreen:

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next