It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:48 am 

JohnBick wrote:
I hadn't thought of plugging in a keyboard... That's all there is to it, just plug and go? (Hmmmm... I wonder if I still have one around with one of those little red joysticks in the middle...!)

It's been a little while but for most keyboards I think it's just plug and go. I did have one that was finicky and I think I had to plug in and then reboot the HD200 to get it to work. Most, but not all, wireless USB keyboards also work with it.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:19 pm 

So here is the SMM (things to come) I have been hinting at for SageTV:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01 ... to-sagetv/

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:50 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I am sure you will let us know here when it is generally available! (Sounds like a good thing!)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:54 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

OK, I have added the HD HomeRun to my system. Got the dual tuner and an antenna. Initially found 38 stations but only ONE has sufficient signal strength to be usable... Could have saves a few bucks there. (A neighbor at a higher elevation gets a whopping 37 with usable quality! Aaaargh...)

I am having a problem though associating the stations with the guide. The channel numbers, xxx.yyy are different than what I see directly on my TV. (I do NOT have a "cable box".) The HomeRun setup seems to identify the stations properly by name (WABC, etc.) but that is not enough to get the correct association with Zap2it. Same problem whether I am using HomeRun --> MSS --> HD200 --> TV or just HomeRun --> desktop/WMC7. I tried it first just leaving the channel assignments as they were automatically assigned but that results in mis-matches for the channels.

I know I am probably missing something obvious here...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:06 pm 

JohnBick wrote:
OK, I have added the HD HomeRun to my system. Got the dual tuner and an antenna. Initially found 38 stations but only ONE has sufficient signal strength to be usable... Could have saves a few bucks there. (A neighbor at a higher elevation gets a whopping 37 with usable quality! Aaaargh...)

I am having a problem though associating the stations with the guide. The channel numbers, xxx.yyy are different than what I see directly on my TV. (I do NOT have a "cable box".) The HomeRun setup seems to identify the stations properly by name (WABC, etc.) but that is not enough to get the correct association with Zap2it. Same problem whether I am using HomeRun --> MSS --> HD200 --> TV or just HomeRun --> desktop/WMC7. I tried it first just leaving the channel assignments as they were automatically assigned but that results in mis-matches for the channels.

I know I am probably missing something obvious here...

It is a little bit of a PITA to set up properly, but in the HDHR setup I just find the stations that I need and manually type in the correct channel. I don't know if that makes sense, but I have had to do several times, so really it should be a set it and forget it process once done.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

But where do you get the correct channel number to plug in there?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:23 pm 

JohnBick wrote:
But where do you get the correct channel number to plug in there?

I just figured it out by previewing the channel, and then plugged in. I think I used the Zap2it site (I am cablevision)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:17 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I am attempting to get this straight with WMC7 first -- then I'll worry about SageMC... (I also have CableVision BTW.)

Did you set this up in the HD Homerun setup application or somewhere else? What did you use for a number, the one from the Zap2it guide, in the far left column?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:58 pm 

JohnBick wrote:
I am attempting to get this straight with WMC7 first -- then I'll worry about SageMC... (I also have CableVision BTW.)

Did you set this up in the HD Homerun setup application or somewhere else? What did you use for a number, the one from the Zap2it guide, in the far left column?

Here is a screenshot of my setup:
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 297.23 KiB | Viewed 10294 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:29 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

STILL confused....

My lineups are different in that the TUNE column does not match the GUIDE NAME column for many (most?) places where we do have the same GUIDE NAMES. When I click on "View"I do see what I expect. But I am actually OK with that, not a big deal. The problem seems to be simple enough, where do you get the numbers to place in the GUIDE NUMBER column?

I tried using the guide numbers from the "channel" numbers in the first (left) column of Zap2it. Obviously this does not impact the viewing from the HD Homerun setup screen, but WMC7 does not use much of this setup information -- it expect channel numbers in the form xxx.yyy, NOT for format available from Zap2it. Does this mean I need to set things up in WMC7 instead of the HD Homerun setup program? And if I were to use a different program on my desktop (or an HTPC) would that also need to be set up separately?

(Note I am focused on my desktop with WMC7 at the moment. I'll fool around with SageMC after I understand this better. Seems that my wife expects to be able to use the TV and that does take priority over my setting things up.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:22 am 

JohnBick wrote:
STILL confused....

My lineups are different in that the TUNE column does not match the GUIDE NAME column for many (most?) places where we do have the same GUIDE NAMES. When I click on "View"I do see what I expect. But I am actually OK with that, not a big deal. The problem seems to be simple enough, where do you get the numbers to place in the GUIDE NUMBER column?

I tried using the guide numbers from the "channel" numbers in the first (left) column of Zap2it. Obviously this does not impact the viewing from the HD Homerun setup screen, but WMC7 does not use much of this setup information -- it expect channel numbers in the form xxx.yyy, NOT for format available from Zap2it. Does this mean I need to set things up in WMC7 instead of the HD Homerun setup program? And if I were to use a different program on my desktop (or an HTPC) would that also need to be set up separately?

(Note I am focused on my desktop with WMC7 at the moment. I'll fool around with SageMC after I understand this better. Seems that my wife expects to be able to use the TV and that does take priority over my setting things up.)

Well, I know that the HD version of my local channels (NBC, ABC, etc...) are the original channel number + 1, so the HD channel of ABC is 7.1. For the non HD channels (without the extra number at the end) I just had to view the channel, figure out what station I was watching, and plug in the correct Guide Number (based on Zap2IT or just turning on my cable box and finding that channel).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:29 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Very messy....

To make it worse I am finding that setting it up in the HD HomeRun Setup program does NOT mean it is set up properly in either WMC7 or in SageTV. (Unfortunately if the setup mapping is the same in both places the WMC7 and SageTV results are different -- looks like I need to set them up there rather than in the HD HomeRun Setup... Arrrrggghhhh! (Oh well, only have to do that twice I guess!

Two questions:

(1) Any way to reset all that HD HomeRun Setup to the originals? May make the application setups easier in the long run...

(2) I did manage to set up some of the low-number channels, 2-11, and record something from NBC Friday. I can locate it any play it back fine on WMC7. (It is in \server\shares\recorded TV.) It is saved there as a WTV file. When I try to find it with SageTV it does NOT show up, even though SageTV is pointing to the correct folder. Does SageTV handle the WTV format files? If not, any recommendations on conversions?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:51 am 

JohnBick wrote:
Very messy....

To make it worse I am finding that setting it up in the HD HomeRun Setup program does NOT mean it is set up properly in either WMC7 or in SageTV. (Unfortunately if the setup mapping is the same in both places the WMC7 and SageTV results are different -- looks like I need to set them up there rather than in the HD HomeRun Setup... Arrrrggghhhh! (Oh well, only have to do that twice I guess!

Two questions:

(1) Any way to reset all that HD HomeRun Setup to the originals? May make the application setups easier in the long run...

(2) I did manage to set up some of the low-number channels, 2-11, and record something from NBC Friday. I can locate it any play it back fine on WMC7. (It is in \server\shares\recorded TV.) It is saved there as a WTV file. When I try to find it with SageTV it does NOT show up, even though SageTV is pointing to the correct folder. Does SageTV handle the WTV format files? If not, any recommendations on conversions?

Correct, unfortunately setting up does not mean it is set up in WMC or SageTV. I set up for WMC and although the channels showed the guide listings were blank so I had to remap in WMC to get everything as is. I actually found SageTV much more difficult to deal with. The good thing is that it is a Set It N Forget It process, just a PITA getting there.

(1) As far as resetting, don't know, There is an option in the advanced tab to Repair/Reinstall Windows components

(2) Correct, wtv is only compatible with WMC and not other Front End. I believe SageTV records as MPEG, which any front end can use. If you want to convert the wtv to another format there are a few options which I use:

- MCEBuddy. I use this program daily. It runs in the background, and when a recording is done is cuts the commercials out of the wtv recording and encodes to a format of my choosing (I choose h.264 mp4). You don't have to cut out commericals, you can just have it set to convert to mpeg2 without encoding
- DVRMSToolbox. Same concept as MCEBuddy. There is an option to convert to MPEG which is compatible with SageTV. HOWEVER, this will not work for wtv unless you have ShowAnalyzer installed. If you don't want to purchase show analyzer what you need to do is convert the wtv to dvr-ms first, and then DVRMSToolbox will convert the new DVR-MS file to MPEG (if you right click on the wtv file in Windows Explorer you will see there is an option to convert to dvr-ms, takes about a minute or so)

Unfortunately I think you opened up a can of worms with question #2 :mrgreen:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:17 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

JohnBick wrote:
dbone1026 wrote:
John,

I just set up SageMC on my WHS and had no issues:

Full Install Package here...

Did not see this until after I got it all working.

I had downloaded same file from same place (four times total). The problem was in the extract step; it would not work on MSS, laptop or desktop -- BUT failed on extracting different files. Fortunately when all said & done I was able to get what I could from each and combined I had a whole. THAT was what I then moved to the MSS and into the correct folder. Painful but effective. Otherwise I did exactly what you outlined above.

I agree the changes are aesthetically more pleasing and the UI is more user friendly. Also agree with the main menu setup BUT I would also like to see Online Services on that main menu. Do not understand why it was not placed there!

OK, time to start preparing for company and showing the kids/grandkids how to use my new Christmas toy! (I o give myself some great gifts, don't I!)

Thanks again...

OK, I am back into this again, after running SageMC since the above post with no real problems. As noted in another post I had to do a Server Recovery (data was retained). This time around I went ahead and upgraded to V3 using the "black" disks from HP) and I am now re-installing things. SageMC seems to be the hangup, right at the point of the quoted posts above.

I believe I have all the current content. With SageTV (and PlayOn) shut down I copied the full SageMC16x9 6.3.9a installation package, released 8/1/2009 into C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV, preserving the directory structure, and overwrite older files. At that point I did a restart on the server to get everything back up cleanly, went to the TV and brought up the basic SageTV, not allowing an auto-connect to the server.

At that point I expected to load SageMC_169.xml from the TV via SETTINGS --> ADVANCED SETUP --> [ ??? ] but did not find any entry for "Load Application Package from the default STV" or anything similar. Looked at every option on every sub-menu but I fail to see it. Am I going blind? (I even went and picked up new eyeglasses but that didn't help really, just made the text a bit clearer. :beerme:

What the heck am I missing, Damian?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:34 pm 

JohnBick wrote:
Did not see this until after I got it all working.

I had downloaded same file from same place (four times total). The problem was in the extract step; it would not work on MSS, laptop or desktop -- BUT failed on extracting different files. Fortunately when all said & done I was able to get what I could from each and combined I had a whole. THAT was what I then moved to the MSS and into the correct folder. Painful but effective. Otherwise I did exactly what you outlined above.

I agree the changes are aesthetically more pleasing and the UI is more user friendly. Also agree with the main menu setup BUT I would also like to see Online Services on that main menu. Do not understand why it was not placed there!

OK, time to start preparing for company and showing the kids/grandkids how to use my new Christmas toy! (I o give myself some great gifts, don't I!)

Thanks again...

OK, I am back into this again, after running SageMC since the above post with no real problems. As noted in another post I had to do a Server Recovery (data was retained). This time around I went ahead and upgraded to V3 using the "black" disks from HP) and I am now re-installing things. SageMC seems to be the hangup, right at the point of the quoted posts above.

I believe I have all the current content. With SageTV (and PlayOn) shut down I copied the full SageMC16x9 6.3.9a installation package, released 8/1/2009 into C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV, preserving the directory structure, and overwrite older files. At that point I did a restart on the server to get everything back up cleanly, went to the TV and brought up the basic SageTV, not allowing an auto-connect to the server.

At that point I expected to load SageMC_169.xml from the TV via SETTINGS --> ADVANCED SETUP --> [ ??? ] but did not find any entry for "Load Application Package from the default STV" or anything similar. Looked at every option on every sub-menu but I fail to see it. Am I going blind? (I even went and picked up new eyeglasses but that didn't help really, just made the text a bit clearer. :beerme:

What the heck am I missing, Damian?[/quote]

Hey JB,

Any chance you grabbed SageTV 7 or are you still installing SageTV 6? Reason I ask, with SageTV 7 the whole architecture changed, and the process you are referencing above is not applicable anymore

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next