It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: USB-UIRT
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:03 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Has anyone been able to get the USB-UIRT to control a set top box using either Vista or W7 Media Center?

Similarly; does anyone have experience with SageTV HD 200 and controlling a set top box from a PC that is Vista and or W7? If so what is the extender interface like compared to VMC or WMC?

Thanks 8)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: USB-UIRT
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:04 am 

y_so_serious wrote:
Has anyone been able to get the USB-UIRT to control a set top box using either Vista or W7 Media Center?

Similarly; does anyone have experience with SageTV HD 200 and controlling a set top box from a PC that is Vista and or W7? If so what is the extender interface like compared to VMC or WMC?

Thanks 8)

I had set up. On my HTPC I have a USB-UIRT connected that is matched up with my harmony remote. I connected my set top box to my HTPC (running both Vista and W7 RC), set everything up, and just ran the ir emitter from the USB-UIRT to the front of the cable box. No problems getting it to work. Obviously you are limited in what you can actually record, but you can watch live tv without a problem.

I have tested the same thing with SageTV. You would need to set up the PC connected to the set top box as a server in order to control recordings with the HD200 (as an alternative I have tv tuners set up in my WHS, so I can link the HD200 to my WHS and access live tv). The UI is fairly similar to WMC (I assume you are just talking about the tv section).

I honestly don't bother much with STBs connected to my HTPC since you are so limited with what you can record. I rather just have a couple tuners hooked up to my WHS and grab whatever unencrypted QAM channels that are available.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:36 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Forgive me for being a tad bit dense but was the USB UIRT being controlled by Media Center? I have read a number of posts where folks were not able to get Media Center working with the USB-UIRT.

I do not have a HTPC. I record and do my editing on my family PCs. One PC is XP Pro and is hooked to my STB. Recording is done using BTV+USB UIRT, which includes non-encrypted QAM HD. My other PC also records but does so directly from the cable and OTA. It is Vista and I use Media Center to do the recording. I have a x280n that I extend VMC too. My wife has really come to like being able to schedule a recording while using the extended VMC. Unfortunately, the number of channels is limited. What I want to be able to do is record from my STB using the PC with VMC so that she has access to all of our channels. To do that I need USB-UIRT to work with VMC.

My other option is to purchase the HD200. I understand that it does not work with VMC and that it works with SageTV and that I would be serving from my Vista none HTPC. I have read that the UI is not as nice as VMC but it gives similar capability and provides the ability to schedule all of my channels right from the couch and that may be a good option for us. How does the HD200 handle cover art for DVDs? Does it work with My Movies or MB?

My overall goal is to be able to schedule recordings for all my available channels via a remote whilest at the couch and to convert my XP Pro into a server so that I can power it down at night. Do you recommend the HD200? Do you know any other network media players, other than the DMA2100 that I could accomplish my goal with?

Thanks 8)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:12 pm 

y_so_serious wrote:
Forgive me for being a tad bit dense but was the USB UIRT being controlled by Media Center? I have read a number of posts where folks were not able to get Media Center working with the USB-UIRT.

I do not have a HTPC. I record and do my editing on my family PCs. One PC is XP Pro and is hooked to my STB. Recording is done using BTV+USB UIRT, which includes non-encrypted QAM HD. My other PC also records but does so directly from the cable and OTA. It is Vista and I use Media Center to do the recording. I have a x280n that I extend VMC too. My wife has really come to like being able to schedule a recording while using the extended VMC. Unfortunately, the number of channels is limited. What I want to be able to do is record from my STB using the PC with VMC so that she has access to all of our channels. To do that I need USB-UIRT to work with VMC.

My other option is to purchase the HD200. I understand that it does not work with VMC and that it works with SageTV and that I would be serving from my Vista none HTPC. I have read that the UI is not as nice as VMC but it gives similar capability and provides the ability to schedule all of my channels right from the couch and that may be a good option for us. How does the HD200 handle cover art for DVDs? Does it work with My Movies or MB?

My overall goal is to be able to schedule recordings for all my available channels via a remote whilest at the couch and to convert my XP Pro into a server so that I can power it down at night. Do you recommend the HD200? Do you know any other network media players, other than the DMA2100 that I could accomplish my goal with?

Thanks 8)

Yes, with my Setup the USB-UIRT controls WMC and with the IR Emitter then controls the STB. The one thing I am not sure I am following, you want to be able to have available to record all channels from your STB? The only way to do this currently is to get a CableCard setup or get an HD PVR, otherwise you can only view and not record (assuming most channels on your STB are encrypted)

SageTV does not play with MB or MyMovies (I think you can somehow import metadata from MyMovies to be used by SageTV but I have never tried this). SageTV is a lot more customizable but from a UI standpoint not quite where WMC or other Media Center apps are (although getting closer). To give you a sense of some of the screens you can use with SageTV (also keep in mind you can download the SageTV Media Center software and test out on your PC for 21 days):

TV Explorer
SageMovieWall
HD 200 Walkthru

The HD200 is really the only extender that integrates well with WHS and a whole house tv setup. You can accomplish something similar with the PCH A-110 combined with GB-PVR, but I have only messed around with it for a few minutes.

Let me know if I missed anything or am completely on a different page then what you are thinking.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:14 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I am still not sure we are clear on the USB-UIRT. If you are in WMC or VMC on your PC and you go to the guide and then use your mouse pointer(not using the remote) to select a currently running show, WMC and or VMC will change the channel on your STB and you can then watch that channel or record that channel? Correct? In like manner you can schedule a recording in VMC and or WMC and VMC/WMC will use the USB-UIRT to change the channel(no use of the remote control) on your STB? Correct? I really appologize for being so dense. What did you do to get the USB-UIRT to work with VMC/WMC?

I have an 'S' video cable running from my Cable company STB (Motorola 6416) to my PVR 250. Using BTV I can schedule and record ALL of the channels that I pay for from my cable company. I think the catch in our communication is that I do not pay for premium channels like Starz or HBO. Naturally all of my recordings done with the PVR250 are SD but many of the channels are recieved in HD. Another way to say this is that every channel that I can view from my cable company per the contract on my TV, I can also record. I get around 100 channels or so and I can record anyone I want and about 10 or so are HD.

For HD recordings, I have a QAM USB DVICO Fusion(can only record unencrypted HD) or I use my other USB DVICO Fusion for OTA HD.

We have become addicted to commercial free viewing, which is the main reason an HTPC does not meet our needs. FF is better than nothing but commercial free is well commercial free!

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:26 pm 

y_so_serious wrote:
I am still not sure we are clear on the USB-UIRT. If you are in WMC or VMC on your PC and you go to the guide and then use your mouse pointer(not using the remote) to select a currently running show, WMC and or VMC will change the channel on your STB and you can then watch that channel or record that channel? Correct? In like manner you can schedule a recording in VMC and or WMC and VMC/WMC will use the USB-UIRT to change the channel(no use of the remote control) on your STB? Correct? I really appologize for being so dense. What did you do to get the USB-UIRT to work with VMC/WMC?

I have an 'S' video cable running from my Cable company STB (Motorola 6416) to my PVR 250. Using BTV I can schedule and record ALL of the channels that I pay for from my cable company. I think the catch in our communication is that I do not pay for premium channels like Starz or HBO. Naturally all of my recordings done with the PVR250 are SD but many of the channels are recieved in HD. Another way to say this is that every channel that I can view from my cable company per the contract on my TV, I can also record. I get around 100 channels or so and I can record anyone I want and about 10 or so are HD.

For HD recordings, I have a QAM USB DVICO Fusion(can only record unencrypted HD) or I use my other USB DVICO Fusion for OTA HD.

We have become addicted to commercial free viewing, which is the main reason an HTPC does not meet our needs. FF is better than nothing but commercial free is well commercial free!

Your help is appreciated.

I would think that if you use a mouse (pointer) or remote it should not matter. If you think about it, lets say you schedule WMC to record a channel in 2 hours. In 2 hours WMC will automatically change the channel (signal gets sent from the USB-UIRT through the IR emitter to the STB to change the channel). I did nothing special to set up the USB UIRT, when you walk through setting up the tv source in WMC it will prompt about this and set everything up (I am just using a basic IR Receiver that I got here). I have never tried with just a mouse, but I can't see where it would make a difference.

Sorry for the misunderstanding with the STB channels to record, I am used to having most of my channels encrypted with my STB. I use the HDHomerun to record whatever unencrypted QAM channels I can get.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:39 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

That did it! When I upgrade to WM7 I will be able to do as I had hoped.

I take having un-encrypted broadcasts from my cable company for granted. I only realized the other day why so many folks went for the HD PVR...I thought it was strictly for the h264 but I now understand that it can record encrypted broadcasts.

I have been sitting on the fence in regards to the HD200 for a long time...I guess it will not hurt to wait a bit longer.

Thanks again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:04 pm 

Glad to hear. I just got W7 RTM last weekend and should hopefully have it set up on my HTPCs this weekend (been running W7 RC). I have successfully recorded shows from my STB with WMC using my IR Receiver to control the STB, so shouldn't be a problem.

SageTV is a good alternative, but you might as well try to get WMC to work for you since it is already included with Windows (no sense in paying for another piece of software if you can avoid it).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:35 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

dbone1026;

I have been following a similar post over at the Greenbutton and so far no one has posted that USB-UIRT works within WMC. Some doubts are starting to filter in.....sorry if it sounds like I am doubting your input. What I am doubting is the communication aspect.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:47 pm 

y_so_serious wrote:
dbone1026;

I have been following a similar post over at the Greenbutton and so far no one has posted that USB-UIRT works within WMC. Some doubts are starting to filter in.....sorry if it sounds like I am doubting your input. What I am doubting is the communication aspect.

I know there are issues with the USB UIRT working with XP. I haven't used XP in a long time so I cannot confirm.

All I can say is this, let me know if we are on the same page:

- I have a USB UIRT connected to my HTPC w/ an IR blaster going from the USB UIRT to the cable box
- I set up WMC for use with the Cable box, it had me go through the set up and even confirmed that I was able to change channels via the USB UIRT
- I was able to set up a show to record (TBS - Married...With Children) at some point in the morning. Without me doing anything WMC was able to tune the cable box to the appropriate channel and record

Is this what you are looking to do? I just finished installing W7 RTM on my HTPC so I need to set this back up. When I have some time I would be glad to set up again, it shouldn't take that long since I already have everything connected, just need to run the setup wizard. My original setup was with Vista, so hopefully I shouldn't run into any roadblocks with W7.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
y_so_serious
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:04 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
y_so_serious wrote:
dbone1026;

I know there are issues with the USB UIRT working with XP. I haven't used XP in a long time so I cannot confirm.

All I can say is this, let me know if we are on the same page:

- I have a USB UIRT connected to my HTPC w/ an IR blaster going from the USB UIRT to the cable box
- I set up WMC for use with the Cable box, it had me go through the set up and even confirmed that I was able to change channels via the USB UIRT
- I was able to set up a show to record (TBS - Married...With Children) at some point in the morning. Without me doing anything WMC was able to tune the cable box to the appropriate channel and record

Is this what you are looking to do? I just finished installing W7 RTM on my HTPC so I need to set this back up. When I have some time I would be glad to set up again, it shouldn't take that long since I already have everything connected, just need to run the setup wizard. My original setup was with Vista, so hopefully I shouldn't run into any roadblocks with W7.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you. That is exactly what I want to do and I no longer doubt our communication. I will post back sometime in the not to distant future and let you know how it went.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:11 pm 

y_so_serious wrote:
Thank you. That is exactly what I want to do and I no longer doubt our communication. I will post back sometime in the not to distant future and let you know how it went.

Once I have a free moment (prob not until this weekend) I will attempt again to make sure I am not a looney. Shouldn't this be easier!!!

Thanks