It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:26 pm 

I have an EX485 that I use to stream video to my Xbox 360. Some of them don't work, ironically the ones that don't work are shows I recorded on a MCE 2005 machine a while back. I looked at the codec info and they used the h264 video encoder. All my other videos encoded with the XVID encoder stream just fine.

So I turned on the video encoder that HP has added, figuring the ones that couldn't play would get fixed. Well, it went through and re-encoded everything to both HQ and MQ (mobile) versions. But, the ones that wouldn't play originally, Failed in the conversion process (all the h264 ones recorded in MCE2005).

Additionally, the ones that did get re-encoded, the converted version is considerably worse quality than the original. The output format was .mp4 using the avc1 codec.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to stream the h264 videos, or to convert them to something that works. I'm really confused as to why they don't work in the first place, as they were recorded on Windows Media Center 2005 right from TV.

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:24 pm 
Founder
Founder

My recorded dvrms files don't convert either. I worked with HP and their finding was that the driver/encoder used with my capture card stored the files in a format that aren't able to be converted by the HP Converter utility. :(

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:26 am 

yakuza wrote:
My recorded dvrms files don't convert either. I worked with HP and their finding was that the driver/encoder used with my capture card stored the files in a format that aren't able to be converted by the HP Converter utility. :(

Fair enough, thanks for the reply. At least now I won't waste my time with it.

I actually just downloaded some shows on Amazon's Video on Demand download service (previously called "Unbox"). Of course, it also failed to play on the 360 over Twonky, and failed to convert in both WHS, and using MediaCoder on my PC.

Now I'm off to see if that's possible.

Looks like PlayOn supports it natively, so I guess I'll be playing it through that. I should probably install that on my WHS.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

Definitely let us know how that works out, if it resolves these issues for you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:09 am 

Well, PlayOn was a good solution. I can play the dvrms files that were recorded off Media Center just fine.

I did have to follow the guide to install WMP 11 on the server, but that was easy.

One thing to be careful of, I probably will need to make sure no WMP updates get installed from Windows Update, as it might screw up the custom install. Not sure, but if anyone has any input on that, do tell.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:31 am 

For converting DVRMS files you can try using DVRMSToolbox (http://babgvant.com/files/folders/dvrms ... fault.aspx) or MCEBuddy (http://download.cnet.com/MCEBuddy/3000- ... =mncol;lst)

Windows 7 (or if you have the TV Pack in Vista) records to .wtv. There isn't a lot of support for converting .wtv yet, but I actually testing out a program last night called Prism Video Converter and was able to successfully convert my .wtv recording to avi.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks