It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WHS & WMC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:03 am 

Quick question... with addition of powerpack2 does give WHS the ability to function as a WMC? Or did it just allow a WMC pc to access WHS files?

Thanks for the help
~Staudie

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: WHS & WMC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:45 am 

Staudie wrote:
Quick question... with addition of powerpack2 does give WHS the ability to function as a WMC? Or did it just allow a WMC pc to access WHS files?

Thanks for the help
~Staudie

Staudie,

Welcome to the forums :mss:

Only the ability to access WHS files via Windows Media Connect (you could still access your WHS prior). Still no true WMC integration in WHS, hopefully with the next release in 2010.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:35 pm 

Quote:
Only the ability to access WHS files via Windows Media Connect (you could still access your WHS prior). Still no true WMC integration in WHS, hopefully with the next release in 2010.

Dbone thanks for the reply... What I’m trying to do is find a nice frontend/gui for playing media stored on the WHS. I don’t plan on using this as a PVR (at least not right now). I just want to stream Netflix, internet radio, and play MP3 off the server on my entertainment system. My blu-ray and receiver (DLNA) can stream steam radio and mp3 from my desktop, also with playon I can stream Netflix. I just don’t like the gui and was hoping to adding WHS functionality. Just want to do this on a single box and not have a WHS and a media stream box. if it possible.
I noticed Boxee on your blog. Do you think it would work for this?

Thanks again,
Staudie

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:51 pm 

Staudie wrote:
Dbone thanks for the reply... What I’m trying to do is find a nice frontend/gui for playing media stored on the WHS. I don’t plan on using this as a PVR (at least not right now). I just want to stream Netflix, internet radio, and play MP3 off the server on my entertainment system. My blu-ray and receiver (DLNA) can stream steam radio and mp3 from my desktop, also with playon I can stream Netflix. I just don’t like the gui and was hoping to adding WHS functionality. Just want to do this on a single box and not have a WHS and a media stream box. if it possible.
I noticed Boxee on your blog. Do you think it would work for this?

Thanks again,
Staudie

Unfortunately you are going to need another box aside from an MSS/WHS. What type of device really depends on what your needs are. For instance, I have 2 HTPCs that I use to access my media from my MSS. It appears you are just looking to do some basic functions (netflix, internet radio, mp3s) so possibly a good addition would be the Xbox360 (not sure if it does internet radio). I am not sure this is the answer you were looking for as I think you were hoping to basically have WHS do everything, where really WHS is just serving up your media to devices (DLNA or otherwise).

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks