It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:37 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I will try this topic again. HDHomeRun (SiliconDust) provides a way to get HD content from various sources to the PC, as it is a digital high definition twin tuner that runs on a home network. That content can be captured and processed through the use of various PVR and software vendors (like Beyond TV [BTV], SAGE, etc.). Once that content is captured and recorded it then can be stored either locally on the recording machine or on the network to a NAS or server. Now, as we all know Microsoft has recently released a cut-down version of its 2003 Server operating system called "Windows Home Server (WHS)." That operating system can be run from a "spare" PC on the home network or from a dedicated box like the HP Mediasmart Home Server. While many aspects of the WHS are still in development, some of PVR vendors have developed software to work with the WHS. My understanding is that the latest is Sage TV. Sage enables the WHS to stream media content to other computers and TVs on the home network. Hopefully BTV will create a product to interface with the WHS as well.

Now my question is whether anyone on this forum has explored this further?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:30 am 
Founder
Founder

I think this is an obvious direction/eveolution of the MSS/WHS, however I have not personally tried SageTV. I think there's some talk about using WHS as offload storage on some of the mediacenter forums like GreenButton.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:11 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
I think this is an obvious direction/eveolution of the MSS/WHS, however I have not personally tried SageTV. I think there's some talk about using WHS as offload storage on some of the mediacenter forums like GreenButton.

Please excuse my ignorance, but could you explain what is "offload storage"?

What I intend to use the MSS for is for what it is designed to do. I don't intend to use it to process media or do much more than "share" files and backup client computers (plus some smarthome cool stuff 8) ). I will be looking into the SageTV situation and if it looks like they will be draining resources from the MSS then I will look elsewhere. [I did do the 2GB RAM upgrade to the MSS :roll: ]

Right now I have an old Dell MCE (9100 with 4 GB RAM, 1.5TB storage and a Pentium D 3.2GHz processor) with an old Nvidia 6800 video card with 256MB that receives high definition ATSC TV from a dual HD network tuner called HDHomeRun (~$180). It just plugs into my network an takes up 192.168.1.3. The 1080 digital signals that it processes streams directly to my Dell MCE by way of its gigabit network card (~$29). Then the Nvidia processes the video in conjuction with Beyond TV software (~$49). Once it is stored on my Dell MCE I pick and choose the programs that I want to copy and store on my MSS in the shared video folder of the MSS. Thereafter I can access these MPEG2.tp files (a compressed HD file) and play them on any computer on the home network using a free vlc player (although I probably could use Windows Media player with the right codec installed). So presently I can watch HD on any number of client computers from shared files of the MSS. However, what I ultimately want to be able to do is to connect my HD TVs to the network via some kind of box that will interface nicely with the MSS and provide a guide etc. The aforementioned Beyond TV PVR software that I presently use from my Dell MCE (in the living room) has a nice guide like MCE's native guide (but much nicer). It has all the capabilities of TIVO in HD wherein with a Firefly remote I can program the Beyond TV to record future programming. With the HDHomeRun network tuner I can record 2 HD programs at the same time slot and the Dell MCE doesn't even flinch while processing multiple sources. I think you get where I am going - using the MSS merely as a server of previously recorded media material. It would be nice to also be able to record processed HD files on the fly from the Dell MCE to the MSS so as to avoid having to copy them later. The problem there is that the MSS seems to record large files at a much slower speed and bandwidth as my Dell MCE or any NAS. Would be interested in some feedback about some of these thoughts.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:06 pm 
Founder
Founder

Offloading storage is pretty much what you've described - recording content on your MediaCenter then "offloading"/moving the content to be stored on the MSS. I believe some users have found a way to get MediaCenter to use WHS as a network storage point while recording content. I don't have firsthand experience, hopefully others will chime in.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:21 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I wrote a lengthy reply to this thread earlier which included my setup, downfalls to my setup and my ideas on how things should work.

Unfortunately I stepped away from my computer and when I went to preview my final post the session must have timed out and I lost everything. I was pretty upset at that to say the least.

Anyway since I don't currently have time to re-write the whole enchilada I will just include what I summarized.

The MSS is not ready for prime time with regard to this application. "Offloading" or basically just "storing" files on the server only accomplishes the ability to duplicate and have access to "files". While remote access definitely fits into my "dream", copying files to the device is a waste of time and bandwidth as is recording directly if your software will allow saving to a network share. Mine will NOT.

In my opinion another "box" that actually does the recording, scheduling and all the other "intensive" stuff should be built to INCLUDE features that make the MSS a great device. Trying to do it the other way around would cripple the MSS.

Hopefully if I find the time I will try to recreate the original post as I really felt it contained pertinent information and a "plan" that would make all users happy.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:36 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Land Master wrote:
I wrote a lengthy reply to this thread earlier which included my setup, downfalls to my setup and my ideas on how things should work.

Unfortunately I stepped away from my computer and when I went to preview my final post the session must have timed out and I lost everything. I was pretty upset at that to say the least.

Anyway since I don't currently have time to re-write the whole enchilada I will just include what I summarized.

The MSS is not ready for prime time with regard to this application. "Offloading" or basically just "storing" files on the server only accomplishes the ability to duplicate and have access to "files". While remote access definitely fits into my "dream", copying files to the device is a waste of time and bandwidth as is recording directly if your software will allow saving to a network share. Mine will NOT.

In my opinion another "box" that actually does the recording, scheduling and all the other "intensive" stuff should be built to INCLUDE features that make the MSS a great device. Trying to do it the other way around would cripple the MSS.

Hopefully if I find the time I will try to recreate the original post as I really felt it contained pertinent information and a "plan" that would make all users happy.

Please do recreate your original post. I am all ears.

I do think Beyond TV will allow me to record directly to the MSS. However, the MSS so far that I have seen somehow restricts bandwidth or slows down packet transfers. I have noticed on the MSS that you can adjust the Flow Control of the gigabit controller but I'm afraid to mess with it due to warnings about screwing up the server with ordinary adjustments. I noticed that when a gigabit appliance is on the same network (or shared hub or switch) as a 10/100 one that Flow Control on the gigabit device actually works against the gigabit appliance. One of the boards recommended turning the "flow control" off on the gigabit adaptor to increase flow on the network. Has anyone messed with this on the MSS? The other possibility was to allow jumbo packets. However my understanding of fiddling with that is that if all your clients are not able to do this then it will screw things up for them on the network, right?

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Thanks  
 Post subject: SURPRISE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:10 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Shazzzaaam! I set up the MSS's shared video folder as Beyond TVs default storage pool site and attempted to record 1 analogue and 2 HD digital streams simulaneously. IT WORKED! There was no loss in writing to the MSS from the live streams. I looked at the network monitor and it appears that I can easily record a steady multiple stream from my Dell MCE client computer (which the tuners are configured to) and the MSS. I will be adding an additional analogue stream to see if 4 simultaneous video transfers can be had on my gigabit network. Since I am not transferring over to the MSS a number of multi gigabit files - but a multiple file stream of unknown (unknown to the MSS) sizes, there was no dip in network performance. In fact the MSS received all 4 streams on a flat line graph on my network monitor! Transferring a prerecorded gigabit video file would start out with high transfer rates but then dip down to lower speeds. Could it be that a live stream is somehow recognized as such by the Semperon processor or by the MSS WHS OS and thus delays balancing or replication functions? Would be interested in what you know. :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:52 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I will write up my details as time permits in a word doc and once complete post it to the forum.

Basically it will be an "all inclusive" post that deals with many of the topics that are found in multiple threads such as file formats and media extenders.

I will more than likely start a new thread once I am finished.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Shazzaam part 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:36 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

:DI got my dual Haup analog tuners and my dual HD network tuners pumping out 4 streams of video content to the Dell MCE computer running Beyond TV. As I previously mentioned, I was able to set up direct record to the MSS instead of a hard drive on the Dell. With a gigabit network card on the Dell, CAT-6 cable, a gigabit router and the MSS connected with CAT-6 cable to the router, all 4 MPEG2 and MPEG.TS (HD) file streams were received by the MSS at 100mbs. There was constant network activity at 100mbs by the MSS until the 4 programs concluded. Again, I think the MSS treats an unknown file size of a live stream differently than when a prerecorded gigabit file is transferred from a client computer to the MSS. Could it be because of the LIVE! nature of the Semperon processor?

If this continues to work then my media recording concers are solved. NO MORE RECORDING ON THE CLIENT AND THEN HAVING TO COPY THAT FILE TO THE MSS! This is terrific news!

Thanks