It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:10 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

http://www.themediamall.com/downloads/playonbeta 45 day free trial then $30 one time buy.

Just downloaded this TERRIFIC on line media streamer for HULU, CBS, NETFLIX instant movies, and several others. It goes to all of my boxes, PS3, XBox360, HP Mediasmart box, AND the Popcorn streamer!

I just watched Heroes from my Netflix instant queue using the popcorn hour. Very nice picture (about as good as a DVD), a tiny bit of stuttering, and sound works fine. Hulu does NOT work with the PCH as the codec is not supported I guess. I supplied the Playon with my Netflix log on info.

Works fine on the PS3 and Hulu works.. did not try the XBox360 as the PS3 is my goto box for streaming..

There are still some rough edges with the PlayOn software (still in beta) like losing the UPnP server for a while (mysteriously came back tho). I also had to reset my PCH after trying to switch to other media on the PlayOn. HOWEVER, this happens also when I access my computer directly. I think it is a Vista thing, not a Playon thing.

Its free, it works, its terrific. Try it out.

PS Since this IS the MSS website :) I tried it out on the MSS. It will not install as there is not Media player 11 installed. I think I remember someone getting MP11 loaded on the MSS but I could not do it, wrong operating system...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:23 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

John Pombrio wrote:
http://www.themediamall.com/downloads/playonbeta 45 day free trial then $30 one time buy.

Domain not available from Canada. :(

Probably not licensed for viewing in Canada. :( :(

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:05 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

K, more on this bad boy. cannot get HULU to run on EITHER the PCH or the PS3. Donno why.

The good news is that Netflix does a great job in the video and audio streaming. I had Heroes recorded on my Cablebox PVR in high def. I could run the two back to back. The Netflix WON, almost the same picture without all of the annoying popups on the screen or the commercials. I really could not see much difference in the video... Which makes me wonder how high def is my cable company actually running (Cox)?

Still a good program. Needs a few more software bug fixes...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:37 am 

Website has been down since last night. Aside from the home page, no other links work. Seems like a very interesting product though

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:30 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
Website has been down since last night. Aside from the home page, no other links work. Seems like a very interesting product though

link above should automatically download the file to your computer. Check to see if it did this.
I ended up with 4 copies in my download folder when I tested it so :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I downloaded Play On and I also did the WMP11 Upgrade. It works very well when being run from the MSS. I am interested to see how it will do when Play on starts to support the HD videos on Hulu. I am not sure if the MSS will have enough power to transcode the HD videos in real time for a PS3 or other device. However, besides that unknown issue, it is a great app, and I plan on paying the 30 dollars for it!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:37 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hovee wrote:
I downloaded Play On and I also did the WMP11 Upgrade. It works very well when being run from the MSS. I am interested to see how it will do when Play on starts to support the HD videos on Hulu. I am not sure if the MSS will have enough power to transcode the HD videos in real time for a PS3 or other device. However, besides that unknown issue, it is a great app, and I plan on paying the 30 dollars for it!

Wait, are you saying that you got the Playon to run on the MSS? How did you get Windows media player on the MSS? That would be great!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:51 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yep, I sure did. It works great on the MediaSmart Server. You have to install Windows Media PLayer 11. You can follow this guide here. Just complete the first 8 steps, don't worry about the rest of it. Reboot the machine and then install PlayOn. You are good to go from there! It is a pretty quick and simple process. Let me know how it turns out for you!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:40 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Yes! Netflix video on my PCH! Awesome!

I am amazed it works and I was able to set it up very easily.

The Netflix streaming quality is better than standard def TV on my HD TV. It's quite watchable, although not nearly as great as an upconverted DVD...

It's worth the $30 just to get my Netflix videos.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:24 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks to all for all the great information on this site. Just got the EX470 upgraded RAM and finally just got access to my shared folder via PCH-110.

However i just installed Playon on the MSS, and would like to know "how do i access it from my PCH?" I dont see it anywhere on the lists (i.e when i navigate from media source to my server name it doesnt bring up anything)

Any suggestions? FYI for my guest account i setup a pword and had to add the networkshare on the PCH due to this fact.

Cheers

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:48 pm 

spiaget wrote:
Thanks to all for all the great information on this site. Just got the EX470 upgraded RAM and finally just got access to my shared folder via PCH-110.

However i just installed Playon on the MSS, and would like to know "how do i access it from my PCH?" I dont see it anywhere on the lists (i.e when i navigate from media source to my server name it doesnt bring up anything)

Any suggestions? FYI for my guest account i setup a pword and had to add the networkshare on the PCH due to this fact.

Cheers

Does this video help (sorry, I am traveling right now and don't have audio)

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1803746/p ... _xbox_ps3/

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:01 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
spiaget wrote:

Cheers

Does this video help (sorry, I am traveling right now and don't have audio)

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1803746/p ... _xbox_ps3/

Unfortunately not, this was one of the first videos i saw before i even purchased any of the devices and it's more about what the features of the service are, rather than a setup video. Appreciate the assist, but anything else?

UPDATE: I did a hard reset on the PCH (via an unplug and replug) and upon loading under "Media Source" i found PlayOn. I cant beleive how sharp the picture on HULU is wow! definately worth the 30 quid, unfortunately my trial period is only showing 14 days.
Thanks dbone1026

Cheers

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:09 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

UPDATE: HULU is very unreliable on the PCH for some reason, however it streams without issues on the PS3, so for the mean time while i still have my trial (4days) I will try and see if upgrading my bandwidth will assist in the issue with the PCH.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:02 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

WOW, this thing is great! Hulu has some really old TV shows. It's terrific! Thanks for the share.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:21 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok, I'm a complete noob here. I was able to install WMP11 on my EX470 per instructions but how do I install Playon to the EX470?

Thanks

Thanks