It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:15 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

The reviews (in these forums) of the new McAfee add-in have been less than stellar. I haven't seen much written about the other new add-in, the PVConnect Media Streaming add-in.

From what I can tell, it seems to benefit media extenders like the XBox 360, but I've graduated from extenders to building my own HTPC. In the case of the HTPC, I just point my folder-watching to the WHS.

So, is there a big advantage in this new add-in in an HTPC environment?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:02 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Yes, why am I running this if I don't have a media extender?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:26 pm 
Mr. XXX

Well I use itunes for my Apple TVs and the Zune Player for my XBox 360s and it seems that PVConnect would replace my ZUNE Player.....
So yes you are right...unless you are streaming to an XBox 360 or something like that, then you probably dont require it.....

Keep in mind: I havent tried it yet...I plan on trying it this weekend to see how it works with my XBox and if its better than the Zune Player.....

CFI ESata 4 Bay Enclosure
San Digital 4 Bay Enclosure-USB ( for backup )
3 Apple TVs - Streaming from MSS
2 Xbox 360 - Streaming from MSS

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:57 pm 
Founder
Founder

It's a significantly more featured streamer than the default WMC 2.0 that ships with WHS. You'll get album art and greater file support, plus the ability to configure more shares to stream from. Say you want a Family Video share that is duplicated, and the normal Videos share for downloaded content that you don't care if it's duplicated. You couldn't do that before with default WHS and stream from both.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:39 am 

Using PVConnect, those of you who own a Sony AVCHD camcorder can now stream AVCHD files (.MT2S) from your MediaSmart server to a PS3. Files will be streamed in 1080i with 5.1 sound. You can now stream DiVx files as well. Album art is shown when playing music files.

I have also tried using PVConnect with my XBox360. Works just fine. Don't notice any major differences so far compared to normal WHS media server.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:28 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

SGT McBain wrote:
Using PVConnect, those of you who own a Sony AVCHD camcorder can now stream AVCHD files (.MT2S) from your MediaSmart server to a PS3. Files will be streamed in 1080i with 5.1 sound. You can now stream DiVx files as well. Album art is shown when playing music files.

I have also tried using PVConnect with my XBox360. Works just fine. Don't notice any major differences so far compared to normal WHS media server.

I second the emotion about PVConnect and the PS3. THIS is why I got the MSS in the first place. Of course I spent some time with WMC before I received this update and was sorely disappointed.

Now I have to figure out a way to connect multiple .MT2S files into one for streaming.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:00 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The only thing i find annoying if all the folders you have to navigate threw to get to your videos. I think its kind of annoying. With my attached USB drive I go to video then the drive in the PS3 menu and my folders start showing up. Now I have to go to video-twonky-video-folders-video-series-season-episode. I think its disappointing to have all those useless video folders. I would rather have video-twonky-season-episode.

I can deal with it though. Its better then what Sony did with their newest update. I upgraded to download some game updates (big mistake). I use to beable to list all the folders on my drive pretty fast. now they generate a folder (and content) at a time. it takes 10X to load my 750gb drive then it use to. GRRRRRR. Sony your killing me!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:35 pm 

Hi!

I just tried out the PVConnect media server on my PS3 since I did the "add-in" last week. The WMV files play beautifully, but for all my DIVX files on the server, it says "Unsupported Media Type. What am I doing wrong? These files seemed to stream just fine with TVersity.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

JesD wrote:
Well I use itunes for my Apple TVs and the Zune Player for my XBox 360s and it seems that PVConnect would replace my ZUNE Player.....
So yes you are right...unless you are streaming to an XBox 360 or something like that, then you probably dont require it.....

Keep in mind: I havent tried it yet...I plan on trying it this weekend to see how it works with my XBox and if its better than the Zune Player.....

I still prefer the Zune software as PV Connect still doesn't display thumbnails for videos on the XBox 360 like Zune and WMP11 (unless mine just doesn't work, but I remember this being a common complaint from Twonky users)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:39 pm 

I have found the new update with the PVConnect to be very helpful if for nothing else my ability to stream my AVCHD files stored on WMS to my PS3. I keep reading about the need to add a space in the word PS3 in the client db file of PVConnect. Am I missing something my files play ok (have not tested them all) except for the MP4 movie rips I have which play fine when copied to a memory stick and inserted into the PS3 but will not stream. Please help., and be gentle this is my first web post ever.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:52 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

rvaidyan wrote:
... The WMV files play beautifully, but for all my DIVX files on the server, it says "Unsupported Media Type. What am I doing wrong? These files seemed to stream just fine with TVersity.

I'm assuming that your PS3 is running patch 2.41 (or now 2.42). Sony changed the DLNA settings during the patch which effectively 'broke' PVConnect (Twonky). The fix is a simple one but does require you to RDC into the MSS and edit the clients.db file. Instructions can be found in the following thread.

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/07/25/how-to-play-media-stored-on-your-playstation-3-with-windows-home-server-and-pvconnecttwonkymedia/

I found that Step 7 needs to be clarified.
7a. Logout of the RDC session.
7b. Start WHS console from desktop and select the PVConnect tab.
7c. Click on 'Media Server Settings' button on toolbar.
7d. Click on 'Maintenance' tab and click 'Rebuild database' button.
7e. Wait patiently as the rebuild may (will) take time.
7f. Click on 'Media servers' tab.
7g. Click 'Reset list' button. Wait for devices to be discovered (PS3 should now correctly be discovered and listed.)
7h. Close WHS console and go to PS3 to discover media.

This should fix your "unsupported media type" error. It did for me once I rebuilt the database which was the step I was not doing initially.

Of course Sony will probably 'fix' the DLNA settings again at some point so we'll have to go back and correct our corrections.

Hope this works as well for you as it did for me :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:56 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

JeffB wrote:
I have found the new update with the PVConnect to be very helpful if for nothing else my ability to stream my AVCHD files stored on WMS to my PS3. I keep reading about the need to add a space in the word PS3 in the client db file of PVConnect. Am I missing something my files play ok (have not tested them all) except for the MP4 movie rips I have which play fine when copied to a memory stick and inserted into the PS3 but will not stream. Please help., and be gentle this is my first web post ever.

Hi JeffB, welcome to the forum......
the client.db edit is ONLY needed if your PS3 is running patch 2.41 or higher. Take a look and let us know. :wink:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:55 pm 

tojofi wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Hi JeffB, welcome to the forum......
the client.db edit is ONLY needed if your PS3 is running patch 2.41 or higher. Take a look and let us know. :wink:

I am not sure if I was but after trying to get everything to work I wound up upgradeing the PS3 so I am now. One of your great contributors GaryT helped me out. I am a novice and I was attempting to remote desktop in through the console (dont laugh) After useing my PC's remote desktop to access the server with out all of the nice HP GUI iwas able to follow the instructions to correct the PS3 issue. Thanks to everyone nice to have a group out there dedicated to this stuff

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:49 pm 

Can't rdp in using my logon name. Any suggestions?

Last edited by rdsheltonjr on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:14 pm 
Mr. XXX

Hmmm...I havent tried loggin in using my name...I log RDP using the "administrator" name

CFI ESata 4 Bay Enclosure
San Digital 4 Bay Enclosure-USB ( for backup )
3 Apple TVs - Streaming from MSS
2 Xbox 360 - Streaming from MSS

Thanks