It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:43 pm 

Thanks JesD, that worked.

Mug318 says he only can play the first avchd in the folder and that applies to me too. I can only play the first. the others are off limits. any workaround to get the others playable?

i notice yer streamim to apple tv's, is that the only way i'm going to get my itunes to play on my panasonic receiver with its great speakers? just had a blow out with apple on the phone about not being able to play my daughter's itunes songs on the ps3.

I have been playing avchd from my canon hf100 by going thru the front of the ps3 usb using a fat32 reformatted ext hdd. Its kind of clunky and i would rather keep the avchd files downstairs on the MSS. Will the MSC play avchd or are sony and hp not talking?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hey all,

I've posted some notes on my last show about PVConnect. I have a Canon HG-10 and have been waiting for PVConnect in order to stream to the PS3. Beyond the clients.db issue I still can't get it to stream. MTS or M2TS. I was able to use remux in order to convert it to a TS file.
Someone was looking to join multiple files and this program will do it for you.
I got it from SMLabs.net.
I'm curious as how you got the first M2TS file to stream and what he difference is between the Sony and the Canon.

Dave
homeservershow.com

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:08 pm 

I first got the MSS to stream only the first file in a subfolder of Videos. It happened for two subfolders, first file only. Then I updated the ps3 to the latest firmware. Then I updated the HP MSS to the latest software, then NOTHING worked. Then I had to go into my headless MSS by rdp and add a silly space between the playstation and the 3 , THEN i was back to only the first file streaming beautifully in full 1080i to the ps3. One way to accomplish the streaming then is to (clunky) put each mts or m2ts into its own folder. What a terrible way to accomplish streaming. IF adding the m2ts files resamples or recompresses it, i'm not interested because i'm a purist. All of my jpegs are transformed or rotated losslesly. if adding two m2ts files results in resampling, then definition is lost and 20 years from now my children will be unhappy i did. I'll check out that program. thanks for the tip.

Oh, the reason I bought the ps3 is because it would play canon avchd. the ps3 will also play panasonic avchd. the panasonic vierra tv will play canon avchd on a sdhc chip, but streaming from a MSS is a MUCH better way to get HDTV's to play than puttin in little chips. And i found file naming critical: no "-", no space, i trial and errored it thanks to no support. my file names are year,month,day,hr,min,sec, no spaces, no commas, which brings you to 14 characters and the first in the subfolder works.

Oh man, just checked out the country of SMlabs.net and i will keep searching. thanks.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:41 pm 

Ok, I searched and found a link on live forums that has been there since april 2008. the down load was a registry patch which i saved in shared folder then got in safe limited account, printed with notepad, then scanned for your comment. Its a tif file and should be safe. I'm a web master and i feel you can't be too safe when it comes to registry patches. This patch is supposed to allow streaming of m2ts thru MP11 to PS3. I hope the MSS will do this and that it won't have to be done thru my desktop. The patch came from eircom.net from Ireland. Will a Moderator vouch for this? I have spent very little time in the Registry and have learned almost nothing. How do i install this patch manually? The instructions say to double click and i really don't want to. This can't be done from my safe account. Anxiously await yer response.

Attachments:
M2TSregistryPatchAllowingMPstreamToPS3.txt [2.46 KiB]
Downloaded 492 times

Last edited by rdsheltonjr on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:42 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well now I'm paranoid about tsmuxer! I scanned it with several different engines but that doesn't always mean its clean. I'll scan with some online engines now.

In my testing i muxed a single file and I always keep a backup of the original for archival purposes.
I can just see several years from now, "Dad, you only had a 1080i recorder?"

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hmmm a registry patch would need to be opened and looked into. Was that a .TIF file? I'm pretty sure only a .REG would load entries into the registry and I would NEVER trust it. You need a safe box to test with and then you should do the entries by hand.
Mail that file to me. podcast is the address. Domain is in my sig.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:07 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/ ... php?t=1259

This is a running post about the hassles of streaming .ts files (which are the same for Blu-Ray movies). Check out the posts as there are porgrams to stitch the stuff together.

Playing high Def is NOT easy!

Thanks  
 Post subject: Popcorn hour works fine.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:11 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Just was watching some divx TV shows with PVConnect and the Popcorn Hour. Worked fine.

So does high-def Blu-Ray movie if you can get it into a single .ts file.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

bethesdaadk wrote:
The reviews (in these forums) of the new McAfee add-in have been less than stellar. I haven't seen much written about the other new add-in, the PVConnect Media Streaming add-in.

From what I can tell, it seems to benefit media extenders like the XBox 360, but I've graduated from extenders to building my own HTPC. In the case of the HTPC, I just point my folder-watching to the WHS.

So, is there a big advantage in this new add-in in an HTPC environment?

Thanks for your suggestions.

There is no advantage over your current setup. You would not need to install the Media Streaming add-in. If you have a HTPC using Vista Premium/Ultimate you can just play through WMC and monitor all the remote folders you want from PC's on your network (including any from the HP MSS).

I personally use a combination of hardware at the moment. I have a PS3 that provides an HDMI signal via a duplicator/splitter to 2 TV's downtairs (in different rooms). All my media is actually stored on a HTPC (4TB) upstairs which is hooked up to a TV and Projector (again via an HDMI split signal). Vista streams media through dowstairs to the PS3 and upstairs to another room with an Archos TV+. Other PC's in the kids' rooms just connect up via WMC or WMP to the media stored on the HTPC.

My MSS is only used for backup (I didn't want to store anything on it that I didn't want to lose until the corruption issue was fixed - even though if I wasn't writing to the files it was probably safe enough).

I've used TwonkyMedia (the core of PVConnect) and TVersity before with mixed success (TVersity sux with remote folders and Vista).

Unfortunately, the best media extenders are actually PC's. I have not found one commercial media extender that I am 100% happy with. They all have issues. I like to use My Movies to store DVD's in TS folders and no extender will stream these. The Archos TV+ DVD plug-in is a lemon and has never worked properly, and I don't want to have to rip a DVD to 1 huge VOB file (which would enable a few of the extenders to play DVD's that are streamed).

I have my eye on the new Dell Studio Hybrid. I think for $700US I can finally get a nice looking small-footprint PC (that doesn't look like a PC) in each room to work as an extender - running on 2GB RAM on Vista HP). I don't need the Wireless N (my house is wired upstairs and down with CAT5e) but it's a good feature for those other areas where you might nothave a LAN port.

I think they'll come down a bit in price over the next 6-12 months and then they should pretty much solve all my problems. They certainly look like a nice unit (and that's important for me too - and a reason I bought the MSS as well).

Sorry if this was a bit off-topic. :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:35 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jwfisher wrote:
Yes, why am I running this if I don't have a media extender?

You shouldn't be. There would be no reason.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:39 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

rvaidyan wrote:
Hi!

I just tried out the PVConnect media server on my PS3 since I did the "add-in" last week. The WMV files play beautifully, but for all my DIVX files on the server, it says "Unsupported Media Type. What am I doing wrong? These files seemed to stream just fine with TVersity.

Did you edit the db file in the resources subdirectory of the TonkyMedia installation directory as per other discussions on this forum? You need to add a space between PLAYSTATION and 3 in the db file. Here's a link to another forum with instructions:

http://forum.wegotserved.co.uk/index.ph ... topic=2878

If this isn't the problem all I can say is the PS3 is very fussy sometimes with what it will and won't play (although it's getting better). Are you sure it was playing the file natively via TVersity? TVersity can transcode if you enable this feature and this may have been what was actually streaming to the PS3.

Thanks  
 Post subject: HP MediaSmart Connect
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:42 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I am looking at the HP MediaSmart Connect to stream music and videos from my server. Right now, I am using a Directv HR21. It has a media sharing feature which plays videos and music but, unfortunately, it only supports a limited number of formats. The HP MediaSmart Connect claims to support a large number of formats. Has anyone had any experience with this device? How well does it perform?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:58 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just stopped ignoring the PVC update and installed it. It still didn't support .ISO to PS3 (not surprising) or play my FLACs (which is). PVC is supposed to have TWonky as its engine, so it should support FLAC, right? I do see the files now, whereas WMC wouldn't even display them, but they show as unsupported file type. Do I need to that "space" fix, and should that unable FLAC?

CD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:08 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

CDLehner wrote:
I just stopped ignoring the PVC update and installed it. It still didn't support .ISO to PS3 (not surprising) or play my FLACs (which is). PVC is supposed to have TWonky as its engine, so it should support FLAC, right? I do see the files now, whereas WMC wouldn't even display them, but they show as unsupported file type. Do I need to that "space" fix, and should that unable FLAC?

CD

Update- I did the "space" fix, and even followed tojofi's step 7 (which I did find useful), but still getting unsupported file type for my FLACs. I'm not trying the impossible right...PVC is supposed to play FLAC through PS3? I mean, it sees the tag info and everything; just won't play the file. I don't even know why I'm so bothered, because I stream FLAC through several Squeezeboxes, which of course, are far superior to PS3 for music streaming anyway; but being able to stream FLAC just gets the PS3 one step closer to being that perfect all-in-one box that I want it to be.

What am I missing?

CD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:14 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

PVconnect doesn't transcode on the fly. I don't know that flac is a supported file type on the ps3

Thanks