It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:52 am 
Offline
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 am
Posts: 73
Thanks: 3
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
Exactly a year ago I started having issues with video playback. When I would watch a movie the audio would cut out and the video would start doing some sort of fast forwarding. I would have to skim back a few seconds and then the video would play fine. Happened each time I watched a movie and would even happen multiple times during a movie. dbone1026 told me to shut off the demigrator. Once I did that I never had the problem again... until now!

This past Saturday I watched 3 movies and took breaks between each movie so I shut down my projector and av gear each time. The issue happened with all 3 movies within the first 15 minutes of playing the video. I skimmed back a few seconds each time and then the video played fine again. I turned off the Popcorn Hour A-110 and restarted the WHS ex470 to see if that might help the problem but nope it didn't.. Today I watched another movie and within 15 minutes the issue happened again. This time the issue happened towards the end of the movie also. The demigrator was not running during any of these movies so I'm not sure what it might be.

I have 11 drives in the server now. Total size 18.19TB with 3.08TB free space. I haven't done anything new with the server except adding some more storage. I added 4TB of storage on Black Friday. The drives I added are Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN

Any idea what the problem might be?


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:11 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:23 am
Posts: 3838
Location: Long Island, New York
Thanks: 94
Thanked: 243 times in 236 posts
Hey Chris,

You have an A200 as well, correct? If so did you try those movies on the A200 to see if you get the same issue.

_________________
Cheers,
Damian

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:12 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:23 am
Posts: 3838
Location: Long Island, New York
Thanks: 94
Thanked: 243 times in 236 posts
Also, are these new movies that you added or movies that have been on your WHS prior to adding the new hard drives?

_________________
Cheers,
Damian

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:43 am 
Offline
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 am
Posts: 73
Thanks: 3
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
Yes they are all new movies I just added last week after installing the drives. I added 10 blu rays this past week.


As for the a200 in the living room. I just watched a DVD on it and no problems. So I decided to watch a blu ray one of the ones I watched over the weekend (Friends with Benefits) and it played fine.

Last year was the same issue. The a200 played fine but the a110 kept having the issues. Even when I put the a200 in the theater last year it did the same thing the a110 did. I'll have to try it this time around and see what happens.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:50 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:23 am
Posts: 3838
Location: Long Island, New York
Thanks: 94
Thanked: 243 times in 236 posts
Chrisx86 wrote:
Yes they are all new movies I just added last week after installing the drives. I added 10 blu rays this past week.


As for the a200 in the living room. I just watched a DVD on it and no problems. So I decided to watch a blu ray one of the ones I watched over the weekend (Friends with Benefits) and it played fine.

Last year was the same issue. The a200 played fine but the a110 kept having the issues. Even when I put the a200 in the theater last year it did the same thing the a110 did. I'll have to try it this time around and see what happens.


Yeah, definitely try moving the A200 to your A110 connection and see if you get the same problem. Also, see if you get the same problem on your A110 playing older movies that wouldn't be on the newer drives

_________________
Cheers,
Damian

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:05 am 
Offline
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 am
Posts: 73
Thanks: 3
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
Ok I will try that. Not sure if I'll have time to fully watch a movie this week but I'll try to do a test.

If the problem isn't the players what might it be? Could it be since the drives are still new and the demigrator is only running for a few hours a day its still moving files around?


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:23 am
Posts: 3838
Location: Long Island, New York
Thanks: 94
Thanked: 243 times in 236 posts
Chrisx86 wrote:
Ok I will try that. Not sure if I'll have time to fully watch a movie this week but I'll try to do a test.

If the problem isn't the players what might it be? Could it be since the drives are still new and the demigrator is only running for a few hours a day its still moving files around?


Not sure. Are those Advanced Format drives? Could simply be the A110 is starting to show its age

_________________
Cheers,
Damian

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:21 am 
Offline
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 am
Posts: 73
Thanks: 3
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
Since the movies are playing fine on the A200 the problem wouldn't be with the new hard drives right.?


Last edited by Chrisx86 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:24 am 
Offline
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 am
Posts: 73
Thanks: 3
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
dbone1026 wrote:
Chrisx86 wrote:
Ok I will try that. Not sure if I'll have time to fully watch a movie this week but I'll try to do a test.

If the problem isn't the players what might it be? Could it be since the drives are still new and the demigrator is only running for a few hours a day its still moving files around?


Not sure. Are those Advanced Format drives? Could simply be the A110 is starting to show its age



Here's a link to the exact drives I purchased from BB.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Dig ... &cp=1&lp=1


Possible the a110 is showing its age. I've had it for exactly 2 years now. God time flys.. Seems like yesterday you were guiding me to setup your old ex470! 2 years later and its still going strong :sanjuan:


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:28 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:23 am
Posts: 3838
Location: Long Island, New York
Thanks: 94
Thanked: 243 times in 236 posts
Chrisx86 wrote:

Here's a link to the exact drives I purchased from BB.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Dig ... &cp=1&lp=1


Possible the a110 is showing its age. I've had it for exactly 2 years now. God time flys.. Seems like yesterday you were guiding me to setup your old ex470! 2 years later and its still going strong :sanjuan:


Yeah, probably the best bet is to put your A200 where you A110 is, and if playback is flawless you know the A110 is to blame (possibly the NIC on the A110 is going bad)

_________________
Cheers,
Damian

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
Chrisx86
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:49 am 
Offline
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 am
Posts: 73
Thanks: 3
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
I'll let you know how it goes.. Maybe this is a sign to hurry up and get the HTPC going!


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:15 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:23 am
Posts: 3838
Location: Long Island, New York
Thanks: 94
Thanked: 243 times in 236 posts
Chrisx86 wrote:
I'll let you know how it goes.. Maybe this is a sign to hurry up and get the HTPC going!


Haha, I have put my customer support desk on notice for the day that happens :mrgreen:

_________________
Cheers,
Damian

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:24 am 
Offline
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 am
Posts: 73
Thanks: 3
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
dbone1026 wrote:
Chrisx86 wrote:
I'll let you know how it goes.. Maybe this is a sign to hurry up and get the HTPC going!


Haha, I have put my customer support desk on notice for the day that happens :mrgreen:



lol


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:49 am 
Offline
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 am
Posts: 73
Thanks: 3
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
UPDATE!

I had to do some work on the computer early this morning while people we're asleep so I couldn't use the theater. I took the A110 thats in the theater and moved it to the living room to test it out and see if its the player causing this issue. I watched the movies that gave me trouble this past weekend. First I watched "Crazy, Stupid, Love" and the whole movie played without any issues. Then I watched "Our Idiot Brother" for 30 minutes and played perfectly fine also. So then I tried "Friends with Benefits" and the whole movie played perfect also. Now I have "Water for Elephants" playing for the past 40 minutes and no problems. I played all movies back to back and not one single issue. Would this mean we can rule out the A110 being the problem?

Sometime this week I will put the A200 in the theater and see how it plays and let you know.

Before I added the 2 new drives duplication was failing with at least 10 movies probably even more.. Didn't pay attention but did notice a lot of movies were failing. My server was down to 200Gb. I'm thinking maybe when I installed the new drives the server was working on duplicating some of those old movies as well as the new ones I loaded. I have no clue what I'm talking about though. :mrgreen:

Also the demigrator is scheduled my server to run every day from 4am-11am. Yesterday after 11am I manually ran the demigrator for the day to see if that might help solve some issues.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:26 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:23 am
Posts: 3838
Location: Long Island, New York
Thanks: 94
Thanked: 243 times in 236 posts
Chrisx86 wrote:
UPDATE!

I had to do some work on the computer early this morning while people we're asleep so I couldn't use the theater. I took the A110 thats in the theater and moved it to the living room to test it out and see if its the player causing this issue. I watched the movies that gave me trouble this past weekend. First I watched "Crazy, Stupid, Love" and the whole movie played without any issues. Then I watched "Our Idiot Brother" for 30 minutes and played perfectly fine also. So then I tried "Friends with Benefits" and the whole movie played perfect also. Now I have "Water for Elephants" playing for the past 40 minutes and no problems. I played all movies back to back and not one single issue. Would this mean we can rule out the A110 being the problem?

Sometime this week I will put the A200 in the theater and see how it plays and let you know.

Before I added the 2 new drives duplication was failing with at least 10 movies probably even more.. Didn't pay attention but did notice a lot of movies were failing. My server was down to 200Gb. I'm thinking maybe when I installed the new drives the server was working on duplicating some of those old movies as well as the new ones I loaded. I have no clue what I'm talking about though. :mrgreen:

Also the demigrator is scheduled my server to run every day from 4am-11am. Yesterday after 11am I manually ran the demigrator for the day to see if that might help solve some issues.


Well, the next check is to plug in the A200 at the A110 location. If you get the same stuttering issue then most likely there is an issue with your network connection there. If you don't get the stuttering, put the A110 back and test again. If no stuttering as well then chances are your WHS was just up to something funky.

_________________
Cheers,
Damian

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group