It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Orb Alternative?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:49 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Was wondering if anyone who may have used Orb in the past has come up with any alternatives, since Orb closed it's doors some months ago.

Mainly what was unique about Orb, for us who like to store our media on home servers, rather than the numerous clouds, was you could create links to media playlists and then email them to users, who didn't have to have an Orb account (like Plex). They could view/play/download from that link. Was terrific. Now with Orb gone, I see nothing out there that doesn't require you to have to upload to some cloud storage (why should I when I have a server?) or have to suscribe to an account?

I am still searching, if anyone has suggestions would appreciate a reply.

I am posting this in Media Streaming which is under WHS v1, but even though I run WHS 2011, I believe this would apply to all servers. Please move if I am wrong.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Orb Alternative?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:33 pm 

Remote Potato is free and while Subsonic is free if you want to stream movies you have to pay. I actually run both I prefer Remote Potato for online movie streaming and Subsonic for Music Streaming.

Remote Potato Link: http://remotepotato.com/

Subsonic Link: http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
580guy
 Post subject: Re: Orb Alternative?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:48 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yes, I also have been using Remote Potato for quite some time. While I like it, it still isn't as flexible as ORB used to be. It was great when I could select some pictures out of a HUGE share and create a playlist to only those photos for anyone with a simple url in an email. Most other solutions require extensive reorganizing of all my media, etc. or they require user accounts (like PLEX). I just haven't seen a good ORB replacement yet. I remember on WHS v1 on the Mediasmart had HP Photo Viewer (I think it was called?). While buggy and insecure it did offer the ability to create sets of media for viewing/download right off your server to anyone you wanted. Just don't see anything like this around now. Guess they all want us all in the cloud now. Still looking!

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks