It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:45 pm 

Hi all. I have an HP EX490 that has been running for about 3-4 years. I had an old Vista desktop that I recently replaced with a new Win 8.1 desktop and a couple of Surface 2 Pros. My issues are numerous.

First, I've changed the default file locations for Music, Videos, etc on each system to point to the home server locations. I can click and see my large file structures, no problem. I do have issues with Windows Media Player not being particularly stable, but I can live with it (it fairly frequently has a problem and can't play songs from a playlist). My bigger issues are related to the fact that I can't seem to access my music at all from the Xbox music app. I edit the location, but get the error message that I can't add files from folders that are not indexed. So, I remote connected to my server and checked the C and D drives and both are showing that they are indexed. I also enabled sharing from the "Media Library Sharing" page on the Windows Home Server Settings page. Still, I cannot see my music using the Xbox music app on any of my systems. I read a little and found that I might need to install Windows Search 4.0, so I tried to download it from the RDP session, but IE just gave me an "error on page" result after I clicked on the download button. I even downloaded the file to one of the tablets and moved it to the server, then dragged it to the server desktop, but then I get an error about "The procedure entry point EventWrite could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAP132.dll".

So I still can't "see" files in Xbox music, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Steve

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:46 pm 

I think you would have better luck with Windows Media Center which is an added cost. Microsoft a year ago was giving it away for free so I grabbed one free copy then I purchased another and I have 2 other clients I may add it to as well but I have very different ways I listen to music from my servers and I can play music from WHSv1, WHS2011, and WS2012E Servers.

Another reason why I do not use XBOX is because the way my clients are setup in a Domain and XBOX wants me to have my clients logon to a Windows Live Account to sync all sorts of things which personally the last thing I want to sync anything to is my Windows Live Account but you may desire that. I mean the XBOX App see's my server file locations but refuses to use them until I switch my client to logon using the Windows Live Account which is not going to happen today tomorrow or ever. I also get the impression the XBOX App is designed to market and sell music something I do not need from Microsoft.

So the question here is do you sign onto your client and Surface Pro Tablet using a Windows Live Account? If not then you may have to in order to access your music.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:17 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

As I understand xbox.
It is a media extender of windows media center.
So if all the paths have been changed in the server.
Should you not need to open WMC in a pc and change the media libraries to the new paths?
Then it should pass the new info to the xbox

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:55 pm 

So I have purchased media center add-on, but since you can't use menu mender any more, it's not as "clean" as I'd like. Plus, it still takes forever to load my movie library, so I wasn't super thrilled with that as a solution.

I do log into my systems using a Window Live (Hotmail) account, so that shouldn't be an issue. I can browse to the server folders when I click the "change where we look for music", and see all my subfolders (artist names).

As far as the file paths - none have changed on the server, I simply changed the location on each of the windows 8.1 machines where the default locations for Music, Videos, etc are. I can load everything (Music) within Windows Media Player easily enough, but still get occasional errors and disconnects. It just seems that I should be able to use the "new" Xbox music app for this seamlessly..... when I made a copy of some music files on an SD card for a trip (since I wasn't connected to my local network), the Surface had no issues accessing any of the info using Xbox music.....

I assumed it was to do with the indexing service, but can't even download Windows Search 4.0 within the RDP environment to test....

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:53 pm 

Update - turns out my issues were apparently related to the media server's C drive being completely full (12.7GB of log files!). Anyway, this now appears to have resolved the issue.

Thanks for the input!

Steve

Thanks