It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I recently decided to ditch Twonky on my 495 due to a various annoyances and install PS3MediaServer. I only stream to my PS3 so it seemed like a good option (especially given that it transcodes on the fly). I got PS3MS working, but there was a small trick required that I didn't find in my initial googling, so I thought I'd pass it along.

I wanted "set it and forget it" (i.e. non-wife-annoying) workflow, so I wanted it to just run on it's own when the server boots up, I didn't want to have to log in with Remote Desktop and run it manually... In other words I wanted it run as a service. I figured I could configure it manually rather than using the "Any service installer" add-in.

The short version is that the "run as a service" executable is different than the "run it manually" executable and you have to unblock both in Windows firewall to get the service to work.

Long version:

I copied the installer to the WHS, then installed it via Remote Desktop.

I ran the program manually, which generated a Windows firewall "this program has been blocked message", so I unblocked it, then I configured PS3MS. For some reason it didn't find the NIC by default so I had to select it from a pull-down box. I also needed to change the default port from 5001 to 6001. Then I pointed it to the Shares. It could see the PS3, and vice-versa and all appeared well. I then selected "install as a service" and closed the program.

I went into Services (Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Services) and PS3MediaServer appears with startup type as "auto". I started the service from there, but the PS3 wouldn't see it. Run the program manually and the PS3 sees it, run it as a service and it doesn't.

Googling found many people with similar problems, but I didn't find a workaround.

Then I noticed that when you run the program "manually" (from Remote Desktop) it's running "C:\Program Files\PS3 Media Server\PMS.exe" but when it's run as a service (Right click -> Properties in Services) it's running "C:\Program Files\PS3 Media Server\win32\service\wrapper.exe".

I tried running "C:\Program Files\PS3 Media Server\win32\service\wrapper.exe" manually and got the Windows firewall "Program blocked" message again, I unblocked it, and now the PS3 can see the server and everything streams great.

I like it already, browsing pictures seems slightly faster and I don't have to muck around demuxing my MKVs anymore.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass this along in case it saves someone some time. :)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank OmniWrench for this post
Comp1962

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 am 

Thank you very much for posting this information.

I am going to tackle this with WHS 2011 this very weekend, I would expect the process to be similar. If I have any issues I will post back and hopefully it will in turn help someone else.

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:58 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I just installed this for my new sony bravia TV, this thing is awesome. Looks like the WHS add-in was abandoned so I installed the regular install. works very well. the only issue I have with it is I told it I wanted to search in a folder on public and it wont add the folder to the list of streams. I know there are videos there as I store them there while I name them and check quality.

Thanks